• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Sink the Pirate Corvette Quest

....you're stuck with the cursed version of the Black Pearl after you capture it, and the cursed version is rubbish. If you can find the bug fix, which simply involves editing a file and does not require starting a new game, you'll be much happier with the proper, uncursed ship!
Just our of curiosity, what is wrong with the cursed version? Other than her being cursed, she's got an insane amount of HP.

@Hylie Pistof : I kept the Flushdeck from the main quest. It's supposed to be seized (and thus "disappear") once you get to Port Royale, as you've experienced. The key is to swap the Flushdeck with another ship. However, it won't let you (the "Ship" menu is grayed out) even when in peaceful waters on the way to Port Royale. I didn't know this last part until retrying it just now. In my game, when I attempted to leave Speightstown, I was fired upon in port, and my Raa class had been replaced with the Flushdeck while my Aurora class was still with me. I was going to flee, but I saw a class 2 Centurion which was irresistible, so I charged it to the point of boarding it. I swapped the Flushdeck with the Centurion class, and this turned out to be key. When I arrived at Port Royale, they took my Centurion class, but left the Flushdeck alone. So I figured they'll simply seize whatever ship is in the first ship slot, since it's assumed to be the Flushdeck.

Luckily, I had saved it just before Port Royale. Interestingly, there's something about that capture/swap I did that reenables the "Ship" menu, thus allowing me to swap the Centurion with the Aurora, which was now in the first slot (Flushdeck still in the second). So what did Silehard seize? The Aurora, of course. They replaced it with the Raa class that "disappeared" at Speightstown. I was pleased. Of course, recall that my game or computer may be buggy. However, I just now reproduced this same result, but on purpose this time. Note that I've been sailing for 16 in-game months without issues with my ships or ship slots since keeping the Flushdeck.

Long story short: Capture a ship before Port Royale. Swap. Ensure you have a ship in slot 1 that you don't care about losing. Go to Port Royale. Slot 1 ship seized. Flushdeck is yours. Celebratory double rum rations! :dance

Long story unnecessarily longer: I wanted to note that I also just tried a different method. Instead of capturing a ship at all, I just fled Speightstown to open sea and could not access the "Ship" menu, as previously noted. However, I tried to trick it. I went to my other ship's deck and the "Ship" menu became available. I was able to swap ships. But as soon as I switch to the world map, the game crashes on me. Exact same point every time. Just letting you know I tried this method and it doesn't work... at least not for me. Maybe it can work for you. The capture/swap method above does, though, and it's easy, so no worries.

Last edited:
It depends on you if which is the better one. Just make a pro's and con list based on your personal evaluation. :)

Ok, I will try to keep that flushdeck when I get that far in this new game.

Personally I prefer the Wicked Wench. A solid black ship is too monochrome and the cursed version has that smoke.

Cool. Hope it works for you!

@DavyJack : Heh, I'm very much an analytical person, so I've got pros and cons lists all over the place! :) However, since Grey Roger was advising to download a fix before I get it, I was curious since I've no idea what pros and cons there are since I've never even seen the ship as this is my first time through. Heck... I didn't even know I'd be getting it! I just don't want to "fix" what may not even be so bad - thus my inquiry. This may be all moot anyway since, unless the Black Pearl's abilities are staggeringly awesome, my fleet will be more than sufficient for any circumstance by then.

Hmm. Actually, everyone just ignore my question. I could get the specs from you or the game files, but I want to be surprised. So yeah, I will "personally evaluate" it then! Then I'll decide whether or not I should reload and download a fix. Please excuse my neurosis. :checklist
:)

With luck you will encounter the Black Pearl off Martinique part way through the game. Note I am not saying what kind of luck it is. :pflag

Just our of curiosity, what is wrong with the cursed version? Other than her being cursed, she's got an insane amount of HP.
Here's where I originally complained in detail. And where you posted the fix to get the uncursed version - thanks again for that!
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/black-pearl.22085/

In summary: too slow, too clumsy, generally inferior to the flushdeck frigate and totally inferior to the Build 13 Black Pearl. The uncursed version is fast and agile, generally superior to the flushdeck frigate and far more useful for general pirating. (Incidentally, it may be worth moving discussion of the Black Pearl to that thread and out of this thread about the corvette mission. ;))

With luck you will encounter the Black Pearl off Martinique part way through the game. Note I am not saying what kind of luck it is. :pflag
Don't try to attack the Black Pearl if you do see her here. You won't win, guaranteed...

Back