• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Smuggling: Quest Does Not Give Chance to Wait

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
The first time I never talked to smugglers on the beach, but just walked past them to the ship to wait out the time. The bell came before I got to them.

The "safe time" was from 07:15 to 08:45. So it was 1 1/2 hours.

:yes - Yes that is a problem - if you have to land at a beach - then the Smuggler Agent tells you to go to that beach to meet the Smugglers - you walk back to the beach to go to your ship and talk to the crew to get the right time - when you arrive at the beach to board your ship the game assumes you are there to talk to the smugglers & acts accordingly. :mad:

Not sure how to solve that - since it is going to be a problem if you can't take your ship into port on an island which only has one beach :modding.

So there will be problems on - Guadeloupe - Martinique - Cartagena - Antigua - Puerto Rico - ( some of the dutch islands Aruba - Bonaire - Curacao - can't remember which only have 1 beach).

:drunk

You mean when you're already anchored at the beach you need to go to?
And you get caught before being a chance to wait for the right time?
That is rather silly indeed.

You can use fast travel to teleport to your ship first but that is more of a hack than an actual solution.
Not entirely sure how to avoid that one....

Couple of random thoughts:
- Crew or officer dialog ashore that allows you to wait without visiting your ship
- Have the smugglers only be present during the safe hours (boring solution as that would prevent you ever being caught)
- Have a check so the smugglers won't be placed ashore until after you entered 3D sailing mode

Could any of that be a solution?

From what I understand, there no longer is a link between talking to the smugglers and being caught.
You can get caught at any time before and after talking to them.

If we're really going to be picky, the soldiers have got no grounds to get you unless you've actually made a deal with them.
So shouldn't you only get caught afterwards?

To make it more tricky, change the "I already offloaded the cargo" logic.
Instead, have that actually take time with the chance of being caught depending on the amount of cargo transferred.
Though any such transfer would surely take longer than an hour and a half, so that what make it all near impossible. :facepalm

You mean when you're already anchored at the beach you need to go to?
And you get caught before being a chance to wait for the right time?
That is rather silly indeed.

- Have a check so the smugglers won't be placed ashore until after you entered 3D sailing mode

I think you only need go on the deck - so could they be placed then? (of course if you're not going for the right time it wouldn't matter but I guess it's only a small deviation from the beach for the times you do want certainty of a clear run (and the logic is you go back to tell your crew the deal is on - so get the contraband ready)). I did already ask when they were placed an standing there for up to 7 days makes no sense at all anyway. @Talisman 's dialogue could have added "right I'm off to my ship to prepare at my end of the deal" or some such to hint that that is now required.

There is a specific quest case type that triggers when you enter 3D sailing mode. I was thinking of making use of that one.
Alternatively, add it as a needed step to the actual deck crew dialog instead. That could work too.

Technically right now the smugglers do wait for you all week.
But you're not there on that beach with them to see them do it. ;)
Actually, I think in the stock game, Smuggling "quests" never did expire so they'd wait for all eternity if need be!

hmmm....I see the problem here...
What about also having the wait option in the tavern?
So you can also wait for 1 or 3 hours etc there instead of the whole day?

What about also having the wait option in the tavern?
Also an option. :yes

I was thinking of only calling the code that puts the smugglers in place AFTER you've talked to your crew.
That pretty much requires you to visit your ship deck first (and get the chance to wait right there and then).
The dialog could also be updated to match with your dialog to the smugglers that you already offloaded the cargo.

Either option would probably work, I reckon. I wonder if the players have any preference....

Hmmm....come to think off it.
I think this is how we should do it:

You first need to visit your deck and tell your crew "start offloading the goods" then you can go to the smugglers. Only after you told your crew to start off loading you can be caught by the coastguard.
If you talk to the smugglers before you told your crew to start offloading you get the option "I will tell them to start offloading now". From now on you can also be caught by the coasguard, now you first have to go back to the ship and tell the crew to start and then go back to the smugglers.
We could even add a "Time" it will take for them to complete the offloading, but I prefer to safe that for after beta4.
This should be relativly easy, its a few dialog options and just moving a few bits of questcode.

@Levis: So when the player comes from the shore, you can talk to the smugglers, but still have to go back to your ship, then back to the smugglers again?
Bit of "back-and-forthing" there. But if that makes the most sense, then so be it....

I think for now I'll be just adding it to the tavern cause that seems to be the most logical place.

I think for now I'll be just adding it to the tavern cause that seems to be the most logical place.
That should work. :onya

Also makes sense to allow waiting for a variety of time frames there. :onya

@Levis: The pricing for staying in the taverns needs to be changed a bit.
It is 10 gold to stay 1 hour and 5 gold to stay 12 hours in a room. :wp

Waiting 12 hours in the tavern hall is normally free, so I think this can also be free.

It is 10 gold to stay 1 hour and 5 gold to stay 12 hours in a room. :wp

Perhaps if you are only staying for 1 hour - the tavern keeper thinks you are doing something other than sleeping in the room - so he reasons that you should be charged more for the use of the room, :yesbecause he has to change the bed linen more often :rofl:rofl

xD

Oooohhhh dear.....

If I understand correctly from the code, the 1, 3 and 8 hour waits are actually in the tavern hall as well.
So basically there are:
12 or 24 hour wait in tavern hall = free
12 or 24 hour wait in room = 5 gold
1, 3 and 8 hour wait in tavern hall = 10 gold

Not a very logical progression, is it?
For now in my own game version, I have just removed the money requirements for the 1, 3 and 8 hour wait.

Hey, maybe this is a spot where "drinking in the tavern" could be put to positive use too?
Just a random thought.

Or does time pass when you gamble in the tavern. :shrug
Not faster than real-time, if I recall. @Levis might know better.

Now HERE's an idea:
- REMOVE all the "waiting in tavern hall" options from the various tavern owners' dialogs
- ADD an option to the shared dialog for all the waiting that isn't in a room
- When you select such an option, DON'T fast-forward the time yet
- Only do the actual skipping once joining a character for a cup of rum or gambling with one

So effectively if you DO spend the night in the tavern hall, then you have to pick a way to actually waste your time.
Drinking is cheap as it costs you only 1 gold. Gambling can actually give you some money, but you need to be lucky.
This might actually serve as a small step towards this earlier suggestion of mine:
Planned Feature - Allow Play During Waiting Times | PiratesAhoy!

I picked 10 because the text says you have to buy a beer ;).

I think it's a good idea to remove all the sleeping options from the taverns, but some have quest purposes to them...

I think it's a good idea to remove all the sleeping options from the taverns, but some have quest purposes to them...
I wasn't suggesting that. I was suggesting only leaving the "sleeping in room for 5 gold" options.
If you don't want to do that, you use the alternate in-tavern options.

Perhaps if you are only staying for 1 hour - the tavern keeper thinks you are doing something other than sleeping in the room - so he reasons that you should be charged more for the use of the room, :yesbecause he has to change the bed linen more often :rofl:rofl

xD
If you read the dialog you will see you are absolutly right :p.
I people complain about this dialog please let me know ;).

Back