• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

So I just want to play the stock game and have it not suck

Fire Force

Landlubber
All,

Been registered here for years as "Colosseum" -- seems my email used for that account has disappeared.

Anyway, longtime fan of the game (going on 8-9 years now I guess). The problem for me is that the Build mod seems like too "drastic" of a change; I like the atmosphere et al of the stock game, but would like the refinements and improvements offered by the Build mod. What's the best route here?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ian (Colosseum/Fire Force)

:ahoy

I guess that depends on which "refinements and improvements" you're after. Some things would be easier to offer as standalone mods than others.
Which Build version(s) have you tried, out of interest?

By the way, I can change your e-mail address for your old account if you'd rather use that one again.

Hey Colosseum, long time no see! How have you been?

Did you use to use a different login name than your username? Since the forum upgrade, it seems the old display names have disappeared and the actual usernames put in place instead.
This made for some quite weird names of long-time members. :facepalm

You can use Build 11, Build 12.1, Build 13 Final or Build 14 Beta 2.2 which are all available.
Even when playing Build 14 Beta 2.2, all the content from the original game is still there, including the original storyline.

Hey guys! Surprised you remember me. Lol.

I've actually checked out the New Horizons (Build 14 Beta 2.1) mod on ModDB and I'm currently giving it a try... turns out I was playing Build 12 earlier today. :(

Now that I've found some documentation on how the mod actually works I'm excited to give New Horizons a try. Looks amazing!

You were one of the "Modders". If you want, I can reset your password and give you your login details so you can continue using your old account.

For documentation of the latest Build Mod, be sure to browse around our ModDB profile and other pages: see my signature.
There's a lot of goodness in there, so I do hope you'll enjoy what we've done with the game. :)

Heh, I almost forgot about the custom weapons I created - that was so long ago that I can't even remember any of the specifics. I've since graduated from college and started working for a company as a business analyst. I think the last time I really contributed was in high school, probably 6 years ago or so!

If it's not too much trouble, I'd love to use my old account!

Also, quick question: when starting a new game in New Horizons, the "Customize" option is greyed out; any way to change this?

:ahoy Mate!

The option to choose your character no longer works. It was discontinued for Build 14. The best way to change your character now is to go to a tailor shop and buy a new outfit.

I don't seem to be able to remap the A and D keys so that the annoying sidestep feature is removed. I hit them automatically after playing FPS games. Modifying the DefaultControls.h file and remapping the keys from the game's options menu have no effect. Any ideas?

Also, wondering if there's a way to restore JUST the stock game's music (which for whatever reason I absolutely love).

instead of remapping the A and D keys, there's also an option to remove/disable then in the Options menu. that's what i did :)

OK, I take it back, the Build 14 Beta 1 is GREAT!

I am just fooling around as Jack Aubrey with HMS Surprise and I had forgotten how awesome this game was. Excellent work!

The "Customize Character" interface it unfinished, but I do have a WIP version lying around.
I'm wondering if I will ever be able to adapt what we have on that and include it in a modpack update.

After changing DefaultControls.h, reset the controls to default to make your changes take effect.

The stock game music is still there; we just added some. You could PROGRAM\sound\ALIAS\music_standard.c and remove what we've added.

I'm glad you did end up liking our work. Check your PMs for your old account. :)

Thanks Pieter!

Here's my current ship, the HMS Acheron, captured from the bloody Frogs off Martinique!

frigate1.png

That ship still has reverse lighting??? Why does she keep getting forgotten? This is getting ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Oh well, it just means I need to post a link to the fix again: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Experienced Captain/Corvette47_fix_Beta2.7z
Extract the contents to RESOURCE\MODELS\Ships\Corvette47, and the hull will be lit correctly, making the ship far more attractive on a sunny day.

Thanks for posting that image, mate. :cheers I hate to think how much longer it would have taken us to realise this mistake...

Pieter... can you please make a note of it this time? I fixed this ship over a year ago. :razz

The reverse lighting bug means that one part of the ship looks like it is in shade when it should look like it is in the sun. In that screenie it looks like the masts are in the sun while the hull is in the shade.

Back