• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Soleil Royal

AHOY Mates!, So I thought this would be a good topic to link to my new Flickr set of 17th century French warships. Bava gave me links to a bunch of new images. He is also building one. Also the links Seb provided were a good source as well to finish this set.

I have been collecting images of the French ships for a while, but they are harder to find. Even though the French ships of the 17th century are very beautiful, there are just not near as many plans, paintings, or models of them as other nations like Spain, Holland and England.

This is very interesting when you consider that France under the Sun King - Louis XIV was THE European superpower of the time - in terms of their armed forces. They were a close second in income/revenue to the Dutch Republic, which allowed them to continually fund and stay at war. Poor Britain was just the opposite. They were always broke and couldn't pay the Army and Navy. Their population was five times larger than the Dutch, but they were mostly peasants. The Dutch took advantage of that problem on several notable occasions.

France on the other hand enjoyed lots of manpower AND coin to pay soldiers and sailors -- all that remained was to arm them. However the French arms industry was inferior to that of their neighbors. Their iron "mixtures" were known to be very poor. Because of this, the French imported the majority of their weapons from other countries. The vast majority of their ordinance came from the Dutch Republic. The same can also be said of their ships - which I believe is the reason there is a lack of surviving examples.

From my research I learned that the French produced only one quarter of its own ships and the rest (3 quarters) were imported from other countries. At a time when literally eighty percent of the worlds ships had been built in Dutch shipyards OR by Dutch shipwrights in foreign ports, it is not a stretch to say that 80 percent of those imports (of ships) into France were also of Dutch manufacture.

Evidence for this is heavily reflected in the surviving contemporary drawings of the Van de Veldes. It is fascinating to note the clearly Dutch lines and common Dutch stern shapes covered in French style decorative ornamentation. I have managed to find a lot of these drawings for this set!

Even in some of the exclusively French designed models you will see a slight Dutch and English influence "hints" on some ships. However, the beautiful flowing French ornamentation is exclusively identifiable as a form of its own. THAT - is what I personally love about French 17th century ships. We need more of these ships. I am reskinning a couple we have to be more authentic for GOF Eras using these pics.

If anyone has anymore examples of these beautiful ships, please provide them to me to share with others - and everyone as obsessed with 17th/early 18th sailing ships as much as I. Obviously no copyright infringement is intended nor are these images used or to be used for profit. They are to be used for educational purposes only covered under USC 107 :yes MK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49225014@N05/sets/72157632135025276/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49225014@N05/sets/72157632135025276/show/

Beautifull pictures, MK, thanks for posting!
A pity that most of the drawings are kind of 'hidden' in some obscure and rare books and/or archives.

And for anyone interested in the topic, I can recommend 'Les Vaisseaux du Roi Soleil'. It´s out of print, but you can find a used copy on amazon from time to time.

Edit: By the way, you may want to edit the title to 17th/ early 18th century Warships, there are a couple of more modern vessels in the set (Requin, Comete, Sans Pareil, Salamandre, Temeraire, Fleuron).

You are correct of course Bava. There is a lot of material in really hard to find places. I have been able to get ahold of some really neat and obscure battle lithographs that I am blowing up out of some REALLY old out of print books. The illustrations "plates" are really high quality, but small. I pour over several books with a large magnifying glass even though I have great eyesight still.

Once I "blow" them all up to size, I will add them as appropriate to different sets. I just uploaded a bunch of new Dutch ship pics - tons of newly found Van de Velde drawings. I am going to make a set called "Naval Battles". I nearly have enough material.

Three new sets that will be coming in the next week or two. (1) 17th century English 4-6th rates/unrated (2) Early Dutch and Flemish galleons (3) Spanish galleons

I will edit the title of the French set as you suggest. In terms of design I see it as an extension of the same era. I have always liked that the French continued with fine decoration much later than most of the other European nations.

MK

Just ran into her in GOF Eras. I thought I would share the video. What a beautiful ship! MK

There is a scenario in POTC where you have to run a frigate right past that monster to escape an island. Catching a broadside is not fun.

Hey.
Can someone upload and post the link to download this Soleil Royal, please?* (Is it possible to replace vanilla S.R. with this one?). I mean only this one, not included to GOF or other mods.

* - Or just tell me, where it is. I'm stupid. ^^

Back