• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Soleil Royal

Mates, I have some monumental news! :dance
I have only just made a very important discovery, regarding the camera glitch (the unusually highly centred 3rd person camera) which has plagued this ship and several others so mysteriously.
What I've found suggests, with strong evidence to support it, that the camera glitch is related to the individual models themselves. In almost all cases, it's actually down to flagpoles!

Flagpoles which are an integrated part of the hull (the root model), and not separate models themselves, significantly increase the overall height of said root model.
This, in turn, causes the camera to try and centre in the absolute middle of the hull, and zoom out even further, which it therefore cannot do when fully zoomed out at sea, because the lower portion of the view would be underwater.
Therefore, the camera as to sit on top of the waterline, which moves it up from the centre of the hull model. That is what makes it look weird.

So the lesson to learn from this (modellers, take note!), is NOT to integrate flagpoles, or other tall objects, as part of the hull model!

oh, i dunno... :razz

so, the bug's been fixed on all ships in game already? didn't see that mentioned in the patch notes.

I beg to differ. :eek:k Armada found out how to fix it and then tried to delegate to me the task of actually fixing them. But in repeated attempts I can not get TOOL to do what it supposedly can do, so nothing has been done at all. :rumgone

In GMViewer, look at any eastindiaman variant, like the Mordaunt.

I think it was me Pieter who opened it and did the locator work for adding the flags to it and had half the ship disappear

Uhm... not fixed on all ships no. But Armada fixed it for the Soleil Royal.

To clarify, the only ship I've fixed this for so far is the Soleil Royal, and I do intend to do the same for others.
I did explain the necessary steps of the best method to Hylie Pistoff, but by the sound of things it hasn't worked for some ships.
In this case, the exact same workaround used for the Soleil Royal needs to be used; using a different, invisible root model, and adding the main hull with a locator.

If someone could post a list of all known ships with this camera issue, then that would help to fix them sooner. :dance

Aye aye! :rofl Just got back from day 1 of the biggest pirate festival in north america. Three sheets to the wind and no end in sight. :warr

i'll see what ships i can pinpoint during my playthroughs, but this will take a while. i'd have to discover it by checking if the bug appears when a ship's dismasted, which won't happen too often. relatively speaking. and that's assuming that i know which exact ship i'm facing.

i'll see what ships i can pinpoint during my playthroughs, but this will take a while. i'd have to discover it by checking if the bug appears when a ship's dismasted, which won't happen too often. relatively speaking. and that's assuming that i know which exact ship i'm facing.
Actually, it should be simpler than that.
Since the problematic vessels only seem to be ships with flagpoles modelled as part of the hull, they can be identified with GM Viewer.

well, the gaff schooner's one of the culprits. does that make sense? i don't see a flagpole anywhere on the thing. i was sailing the high-poly lugger at the time, and i did notice that the flag glitching was red. probably mine.

Are we still talking about the same glitch? :?
It sounds as though you're describing the graphical glitch, often seen after fallen masts, whereas the one I fixed was the 3rd person camera centring too high above the ship.

It's a fair sized list. I'm sure I'm missing some, but this is a start.

Wargalleon1,2,3,4
SP_battlegalleon_weathered
San Felipe1
Mordaunt1
lightpinnace1,2,3
La Licorne
Jamaicaship1
galleon1
Felipe1
Courrone1
Bellona1

ah, that's what i thought it was. it sure sounded the same.
Sorry if I what I originally wrote misled you, then. :eek:ops2
However, if you could still try to identify some ships which could be causing the graphical glitch, and post your findings somewhere, that would be extremely helpful.
That's something I reckon we all need to chip into, so we can hopefully find the cause for that bug if we start to see any trends.

It's a fair sized list. I'm sure I'm missing some, but this is a start.

Wargalleon1,2,3,4
SP_battlegalleon_weathered
San Felipe1
Mordaunt1
lightpinnace1,2,3
La Licorne
Jamaicaship1
galleon1
Felipe1
Courrone1
Bellona1
Thanks for that list, mate. There are actually a few more than I previously expected!
Add to that RN_Warship and FR_SuperiorWarship1 & 2, which also have visible flagpoles (except RN_Warship, for which I alpha mapped it for a rigging change).
Also, HMS_Surprise (the newest one) has a tall 'broken mast' section which causes the same problem.

i am making a list of ships that do and don't cause problems as i play. i'll post the whole thing once i get a decent amount of results.

Now that I've figured out exporting through Maya, I've had another thought about this ship.
After doing some tests, which involved exporting the GM files to OBJ format through GM Viewer, I've started to notice a trend.
All higher poly models I tested ended up with at least one component which converted incorrectly, and was a complete mess. The rest of the ship was fine.
The only way to overcome this was to use TOOL to split the model up into separate components, and convert each part individually.
All lower poly models converted with no trouble at all. So this got me thinking: how many polys does it take for things to go wrong?
After some experimenting, I realised that models which have over 50,000 polys are the problematic ones.
Since the Soleil Royal has over twice that number, that explains the messed up conversion to OBJ format.

So, I now think this ship CAN be fixed, if it's split up into two or more models of less than 50,000 polys.
This can be done by making copies of the hull model, and using 'Edit Scene' in TOOL to delete some parts from one copy, and all other parts from the other copy.
Also, the locators need to be written to a text file using TOOL, so they can be reapplied after the conversion.

The problem is, I can't open the ship in TOOL, but I'm aware that some people can.
So, if anyone who is able to open the ship could do this and upload the parts to the FTP, then I should be able to get the ship fixed up once and for all! :dance

Any volunteers...? :will

I just looked in TOOL and that hull is already split into two parts. I'm hip deep in another project, but if no one else steps forward I'll try to make time for it.

Ah, no that's not what I meant. Currently 'SoleilRoyal.gm' is the alpha mapped SanFelipe hull, which has been simplified down to the bare bones.
It's only there as an editable model for locators, but also to fix the camera issue.
What I'm on about is the original hull, now 'SoleilRoyal_part1.gm', which always gives a 'Model could not be read' error in TOOL. That itself needs splitting into two or more parts.
As Pieter has said elsewhere, some computers can open files like these, and others can't. I need someone who can open the file to do it, because I can't. :facepalm

Back