• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug some bugs (B14 wip3.3)

vinni

Landlubber
hi,
new to forums: reading about next patch got excited, however, i did not find any reference to the problems i am experiencing with this build, so, maybe, these are just related to me......
had some crash and freezes, accordingly to the system.log the game tried to load a bunch of texture from the wrong folder:
1) the game is looking in the texture\ammo folder for tga or bmp files which are located in the main texture folder.
i know, i should be more specific, but guess what: i copied the files from one folder to the other and kept playing, erasing this way the system.log.....sorry.
some files cannot be found anywhere, they just do not exist.
2) had a crash in Charleston cave, game was trying to load a sound file named HORROR, no such file exist in my installation.
3) when you start a new game, if you do not choose a Nation (vanilla ones) you are stuck with "merchant" profession, all other options are greyed out.
4) if i choose Britain as nation (`till now i have only chosen this, Hawk storyline), while playing in game, when noticing someone stealing money from you, if i`m given the option to keep extra jewels or other "shining" loot, no penalty is applied......if i play selecting any nation but my personal flag at the beginning, i get a -5 penalty in my relations with NPCs doing this.
5) bought a pinnace of war, 3th class, if you fast travel from main gun deck to cargo hold, you end up in the middle of the....ocean: i mean there`s only water around me. Fast-traveling from main deck or just walking directly there have no consequence.
6) when exploring the dungeon in Oxbay, i ended up in a cursed temple where monks are hiding...some bad secrets: i started to purge this place and noticed that if you do not move your main character well inside the structure...the monks keep respawning endlessly.
i tried, lurking in the shadows, to lure them away from each other, one by one, but they kept spawning, so after 30 kills i finally chased them all over the place putting an end to this madness.
7) oiseau quest bugged: got a letter of marque from governor in port royale and playing with direct sail: when leaving martinique, after the first sail ho, the french ship fires at will, but on my radar it`s still neutral, so i manually sink her (pressing spacebar have no effect), loosing my LoM.
as workaround i do the following: sail off martinique, at least `till the fort cannons do not reach me anymore, raise english flag, sink manually the french ship (which is still green at this point).
questbook updates, Letter Of Marque stays.

1) The game is looking for texture files that do not exist. This happens when parts have been cut out
from a bigger model (a location for.ex).

2) Charleston cave: just to be sure, is it the Goldbug?

How did you instal POTC and then how did you install WIP 3.3? This sounds like a bad install.

strictly following the instructions.
stock potc game within a directory, which is not \program files
build 14 vers. 3 over stock game inside that directory (obviously running the exe, with part 1 and part 2 in this same directory, but not in the same folder as stock game, i point to this during file extraction)
then, wip 3.3 as above running the exe and overwriting.
no leftover whatsoever, no error log during start, everything loads nicely apparently.

Ok....

The game does look for missing textures. The coders have never fixed this for years and it causes no crashes.

I have been in the Charlestown cavern many times without crashes. I have also had crashes there a few times, but it usually works fine.

I have sailed the pinnace of war many times and have gone to the cargo hold to talk to prisoners with no problems.

For the Oiseau quest to work properly you need to sail out of French waters completely. I sail away in the world map and then go to direct sail in the open sea and it works fine.

sorry, actually i have no idea why game crashes\freezes or engine.exe just stops working, point is there is no error log: only system log which should indicate what was the last thing the engine was "elaborating" before the above happened.
`till now i had only 3 crashes, for 1 of them system log showed me the game was loading texture from the wrong folder, the following crash happened in the pirate cellar, i was reaching the exit when the music hanged, system log was loading sound from \sound\cave\HORROR (yes capital letters), the last ones was related to some "geometry size", some .gm file which could not be rendered (ok: i will KEEP the system log in order to give more reliable info).
by the way: i have intel chipset, so bad memory and cpu usage at 100% is normal......
can someone tell me if problem n. 3 or n.4 happens just to me?
i`d like to know if i`m allowed to start a game with different profession, without having to choose a vanilla nation in the starting UI.

3. When you start a storyline your nation is chosen automatically for that storyline. The only options are to choose what pirate and personal flag to fly. I have always been able to choose my profession and choose "Gambler". I have heard that if you choose "custom" there can be problems.

4. I play with pick pockets turned off as I always get angry and kill the bugger, then get killed by everyone else.

At Charlestown the crashes that I had always happened when exiting the cellar. Have you tried replaying it from your last save?

You can post your compile, error, and system logs here by choosing the "upload a file" button on the right. You might have to zip them first.

It matters not to me what my starting nationality is as you can fly any flag you want, change your name, buy a Letter of Marque, and beg forgiveness from a Governor. Doing that just adds a little spice to the early part of the game.

What nationality do you want anyway? Bart O Port is Portagee, Assassin is Dutch, Chevalier is French, Sea Hawk is British. Hmm, I can't think of a Spanish storyline. Most of them are English.

again, i`m sorry.
i have posted the problems i have been experiencing insofar but (beside the 3th and the 4th points above) i am not "stuck" anywhere right now: i mean, reloading a previous save have always worked and i did not experience same crash or freeze again.
so, yes, whenever i bump into in-game errors i will post the relevant logs here, be sure of that.

Most story lines do allow you to choose your starting nation.
The effects you describe when changing it do not sound right to me.
Some story lines do have the starting professions locked, but most of them allow complete freedom on that.
Sometimes you can do shady things without getting reputation loss. This is random and related to your luck skill.
Starting nation has absolutely zero influence on that.

Back