• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Some small update requests

For the record, TOOL can show textures, but only if they are converted to TGA format (TGA.TX ones don't work). I guess that's because it's not technically a Storm-based program, unlike GM Viewer.

If that is how it works, then any paint program would be better for that.

Here are some ships. Tell me what needs changing.
Post blue.jpgPost green.jpgPost red.jpgPost wood.jpg

Man those all look GREAT Hylie! The only thing I would change on all of them is the black bordering around the windows. I would change it to the same color of yellow/gold that is on the railings.

@Armada. OK Mate, that did the trick. The only thing that is still messed up is the dirty greenish grey cave looking texture around the windows. Is there anything I can do to get rid of that?

Other than that she looks great! If you like I can package her up as a COAS DL for those that want her and post the link to your Rossiya thread. Here are some screenshots. Don't yell at me for them being big. Since this is your baby I purposely thought you might like a few good images of her from COAS.

start_121214_0901201.JPGstart_121214_0901278.JPG
start_121214_0905178.JPG
start_121214_0907259.JPG
start_121214_0908160.JPG
start_121214_0909418.JPG
start_121214_0909440.JPG
start_121214_0913396.JPGstart_121214_0913530.JPG

I'm not complaining about those images; the ship looks good in CoAS! It's just my hard drive complaining, but it does that a lot. :p

That odd-looking glass texture is the result of me trying to make something that gives the impression of glass while allowing the player to see through it. It's not perfect and probably looks too dirty, I know. I had a much nicer texture I originally wanted to use, but because it's partially transparent, the Storm Engine renders it opaque, which is useless. :facepalm
There are two ways to improve it:
  1. Find a completely transparent texture (such as path.tga), create a copy and rename it to 'cap_deck_glass.tga'. This is what I didn't want to it to look like in the first place, though.
  2. I could modify the current texture to reduce the amount of 'dirt' around the edges, which might look better. It's up to you.
Anyway, I realised there are two more things you need: a modified hull with a light locator, and a sailorspoints file. See attached files for both.
I'd also love to see a screenshot showing the ship with the lantern lit at night, since we are deprived of that in PotC...

Attachments

• R_Frigate1.7z
    1.1 MB · Views: 150
  • Frigate2.ini
    2.7 KB · Views: 175
Glad you like them. The trim around the windows is the same color as those strakes on the sides. That is the way she is put together, and it would take a modeler to change that. I will put the package together later when I wake up.
Oh, just for grins and chuckles I made a Christmas version too. The Neptunus is still the best tho.
Post Christmas.jpgDynamic Duo.jpg

@Hylie: Very cute!!!

Do me a favor and change the strakes on the blue and brown ones to gold like the railings. I'm curious to see how she looks like that.

@Armada: Thanks for the files. I will get some shots of her at night for you.

MK

Just downloaded them Hylie. Thank you Mate!

@Armada: Here's some screens with Rossiya - lantern lit.

Take a look at that last shot because I realized that there is an uncovered patch in the prow decoration. The three vertical decorative supports in the middle still appear to be a light model grey. Am I missing another texture?

Also that Sailorspoints file must have a bad plot or coordinate. The guys look fine, but it causes the game to lag and hiccup. Never seen this before. I substituted a couple of other sailorspoints files from several other frigates to verify this is the problem and it is.

The Sailorspoints file from the 28 gun Frigate actually works pretty good. Close match, but there are still guys going into solid wood flooring where they think hatches are. MK
start_121214_1355100.JPG
start_121214_1357469.JPG
start_121214_1357016.JPG
start_121214_1942502.JPG

Thanks for the screenies MK, the lantern looks quite good!

The prow decoration you mentioned is actually white, as intended. The French texture was inspired by l'Hermione, which has simliar decorations.

I'm surprsed the sailorspoints file doesn't work properly; I made that with the Sailor Tool and then created the PotC walk file from it, which works just fine. I'll have another look at it anyway.

What did you want me to do about the glass texture, by the way?

The prow decoration you mentioned is actually white, as intended. The French texture was inspired by l'Hermione, which has simliar decorations.

Ah! I see. Looks fine to me anyway. Just thought I'd mention it in case.

What did you want me to do about the glass texture, by the way?

Well I don't know..... I tried like everything to figure out in Photoshop how to make part of the texture image transparent, but when I convert to TGA.TX those parts are always white. I did experiment though. Here's some screens. She's French in my game so I used the Fluer de Lis.

@Hylie: EDIT: (Disregard the following - I finally figured it out!!!) The Portuguese texture is the only one showing up on the Postillionen. None of those others want to pop out. I'm probably doing something wrong. Very confusing. I actually think the COAS way is simpler.

start_121215_0716130.JPG
start_121215_0715369.JPGstart_121215_0715323.JPGstart_121215_0646249.JPGstart_121215_0445302.JPGstart_121215_0453210.JPG

That is a nice looking ship with lots of details. Should be very immersive. :onya

I must not have written a very good readme. Sowee.
I tried different textures on those ships and they always came out too dark or too light or too fuzzy. In fact I tried every texture in POTC. Even renaming the handrail texture so it would work there made it come out darker and fuzzy.

I have to say, your Fleur-de-Lis glass texture looks very nice, even without transparency. :keith

Attached is the texture I wanted to use on the ship, if the transparency were rendered properly in-game. In TX Converter, when you select the file and go to 'Convert', look under "Output texture format for with alpha channel images" and choose "32bit (8bit alpha, 24bit colour)", and converting with those settings should preserve the transparency. It seems to show up properly in GM Viewer, but with the small issue of 'X-ray vision' created when looking through the texture. In PotC itself, the texture renders opaque, but I'd be interested to see if it's any different in CoAS.

Attachments

• cap_deck_glass.tga
    512 KB · Views: 143
Back