• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Some tweaks to hired officer level function

As I said, there are quite a few such inconveniences which can be avoided by taking suitable precautions. This one means you need to be at least a bit picky about officers you hire. It also means when you go into Nevis Pirate Settlement, players with good reputations will want to help Artois Voysey and players with evil reputations have a reason to side with Nigel Blythe. All of which ties into your wish to have player reputation mean something. You don't want to take away one of the few current ways in which it means something. ;)
No, indeed I don't. I'm just thinking in its current form it doesn't really do much of anything.
Once the "alignment" gets used though, this would change quite a bit.

He's not a complete idiot. An idiot is someone with skill 0, who is incapable of commanding a ship at all. This officer can't do anything useful in a battle but can at least keep the ship afloat.
Virtually no officers exist with any skills at 0. Maybe some time that will happen, but it isn't the case now.

That's you stuffed if you haven't managed to get an officer with high Sailing and Leadership by the time you take on Silehard's flagship at the end of "Tales of a Sea Hawk", unless you want to stay in command of the lumbering monster yourself while you're trying to chase after the Black Pearl. With the quartermaster in command, Sovereign of the Seas won't play much part in that battle unless Black Pearl wanders into its firing arc, but that doesn't matter because you're going after the Pearl in whichever frigate you brought to Cozumel in the first place.
That seems like a very unlikely scenario. You've had the entire storyline to find an officer who is competent! :shock

Also, my idea was just to work it into the current Mutiny code, which runs only at midnight.
So it would have zero influence on the battle itself; only potentially afterwards.

doesn't that work already? The morale is bases on the leadership of the captain right? So lowering that leadership will mean the morale will be lowered even more right?
Yes, but the Tier of the ship he commands is not factored in.

@Levis The luck to leadership half of this does seem uncontroversial (noone has yet to debate it, and Pieter has voiced agreement), it also takes place in one of my experimental mod files, so it can be merged from the rest of the experimental mod, I'll leave it in.

The only actively debated part is removal of leadership bonus from tavern dialogue officers--that change isn't part of my experimental mod, so no merging issues there.

I agree with @Grey Roger in what he saying here.
The discussions this day is going all of the wild( I think I know why, but it will not be wise for me to say it)

I like the option , to hire a good officer at the tavern disk, dont think the officers shout be weakened.
Als Grey Roger I also are looking for officers to command my prize ships. Most of the time I have couple
of officers just for that purpose.

So if we could saddle down and take it a little " slower " it will be so very nice. :wp

@ANSEL The issue isn't whether officers should be weakened, it is whether there should be a difference between tavern table and tavern dialogue hires.

We could easily remove the dialogue hire bonus, and then increase the levels of hires across the board, so that all hires match the old boosted level, if that is desirable. :)

@ANSEL: Do you use those tavern-owner hired officers?
So far, I only ever remember @Tingyun commenting on it and he doesn't use it because of the notably higher levels compared to "regular" tavern-hired officers.
And @Grey Roger commented on it, but he doesn't care about using it in the first place.

In other words: That is very little feedback to work from and we can't base decisions based on what we don't know.
So if you have more feedback, then please say so!

One option would be to keep the higher level desk-hired officers in Arcade Game Mode (which you use), but remove it in Realistic Game Mode (which @Tingyun uses).
I personally don't think it really matters one way or another what we decide to do here, but that could be done if that would make you happy.

I think I know why, but it will not be wise for me to say it
Even less wise is to NOT say anything. If you don't feel comfortable here, please at least say it in private.
That is far better than saying "no comment" as then people are left guessing, which doesn't really help anyone. :shrug

The discussions this day is going all of the wild
Indeed it is. Probably because my own brain is going wild and I'm having a bit of a hard time focusing.
That's very annoying. Side-effect of having too much to occupy me and not enough rest. :facepalm

@Tingyun: If that sounds OK to you, could you prepare it for one of the upcoming updates?
Should just require an if (iRealismMode == 0) check.

So I think that should be a satisfactory solution to this debate for now then?
Makes for a good end to what was apparently the International Day of Peace (as I just found out). :cheers

So like this?

if(iRealismMode == 0) {CreateOfficerType(OFFIC_TYPE_BOATSWAIN, sti(PChar.skill.Leadership));}
else{CreateOfficerType(OFFIC_TYPE_BOATSWAIN, 0);}

Ok, looks ok in game. Submiting to new content.

Deleting original files.

Attachments

• tavern.c
    4.9 KB · Views: 149
Back