• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Spanish translation

I even replaced all the affected quests with an earlier back up from before the "erro" appeared and it still shows. I'll try replacing them with the original English files just to check if it's not corrupted beyond all repair, and if I can edit them again from there, but if that fails, I'm officially out of ideas other than a fresh installation.
Fortunately, that appears to work aswell. I'll have to go over half the work I had already done, though. Oh well

I guess during the translation process a trim() function is called somewhere to remove the trailing spaces. So my guess would be if you have extra spaces in the .c file but not in the textfile it would still work.

I guess during the translation process a trim() function is called somewhere to remove the trailing spaces. So my guess would be if you have extra spaces in the .c file but not in the textfile it would still work.
I imagine so.

Sadly, I have to remove all the special charatcers from every questbook entry, which is a pain, not only for the accents or the letter ñ, but also the open exclamation and interrogation sings (¿¡), as Spanish is one of the very few languages that uses them and enforces their use as rule. A s a result I have to rewrite all direct questions and exclamations as indirect.

Strangely enough this applies even to the standard storyline, when those characters worked fine in the Spanish version of the stock game and the general multilanguage framework should be more or less the same.

Honestly, if I'd known before, I may have abandoned the project altogether, because it really looks wrong not to have those signs and makes it confusing to read (we are very anal about our ortography), but I've put enough time into it that I'll rather push on. If the dialogs reject the characters aswell though, I may be forced to concede defeat.

Last edited:
The multi language system is in NO WAY similar to the stock game.
Absolutely not at all. :no

Stock game never allowed you to choose language in the interface.

Huh. Not sure if it helps and it's possible that I read it wrong because I didn't get much sleep, but after some quick tests I got these results regarding special characters:

I modified the Artois Voysey questline a bit by adding Ññ ¿¡ äÄ öÖ üÜ ß at line 3, then I started a new game and played a bit, until I was able to rescue him. After opening the questlog this happened:
20160923063522_1.jpg

Apparently it works on a new profile (including new savegames), but those special characters did not show up in that log on my older profiles, at least not at first try. After opening the Artois questlog all of those new characters went missing. I had to click some other random quests afterwards before it worked again.

Better try this first before you rewrite everything, maybe your work doesn't have to go to waste. At least I hope so; it would be sad otherwise.

Last edited:
All the testing I've done has been with a fresh new game everytime and using the default profile with no saved games in it, and it didn't work. I'll try creating a new profile.

Maybe we could try something. Is your version of INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\QUESTBOOK\artois.txt already translated? (or is that the wrong folder for quests?)
You could upload that file for me and I replace my version with it to see what it does.

Maybe we could try something. Is your version of INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\QUESTBOOK\artois.txt already translated? (or is that the wrong folder for quests?)
You could upload that file for me and I replace my version with it to see what it does.
Here you go

Attachments

• artois.txt
    4.3 KB · Views: 94
The quest title gave me an "erro" first. However, after converting your file to ANSI I got this:

Zwischenablage01.jpg

I have absolutely no clue what my character is talking about, but it certainly looks like Spanish to me. Anything missing in there?
Maybe the game can't handle UTF8 very well; either that or the BOM was the culprit.

The quest title gave me an "erro" first. However, after converting your file to ANSI I got this:

View attachment 28287

I have absolutely no clue what my character is talking about, but it certainly looks like Spanish to me. Anything missing in there?
Maybe the game can't handle UTF8 very well; either that or the BOM was the culprit.
Well, the accents do work, nothing seems to be missing. I'll try converting the files to ANSI then and see if that works. Thank you!

Questbook entries are annoying indeed. Once a entrie is loaded in memory it wont get changed. So you would either need to open a new savegame or do some other fancy trickery ;).

It's a bit fiddly, it didn't work the first time with the Spanish files. Then I tested a couple of special characters in the English files and it worked, and when I tried with the Spanish files again, it worked again. I hope it holds.

Back