• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Standard Storyline: Incompatibility between Main Quest and Smuggling for O'Reilly

I just got done trying to play that smuggling thing. The first trip to Martinique went fine.

The 2nd mission did not go so well. I got the mission and sailed around the island and met the smugglers. They tried to kill me, so that was normal. When I left to sail back to town I was met by 3 pirate ships. It is 1551 and I am sailing the Golden Hind, so i was outnumbered and outgunned, but luckily I went one way and they went the other way. So far so good.
POTC new 2015-06-24 17-18-06-64.jpg

I then went back to town and talked to the store keeper, and then headed to the port to chase that caravel in the Golden Hind. Riiiigggghhhht. :wp

So when I took off I was met by those same 3 ships I had already met plus the ship I was supposed to board. It actually wasn't too bad as the fort sank them all, them being pirates ya know. The problem is that it is kinda hard to board a sunken ship, so the story ends right there. :bird:
POTC new 2015-06-24 17-27-37-69.jpg POTC new 2015-06-24 17-28-31-85.jpg

Hmmm....yeah this is how the quest is suppost to work. Guess if you lure them to a fort it might complicate stuff indeed. Maybe make the one you have to board unsickable would do the trick?

Maybe make the one you have to board unsickable would do the trick?
Unsinkable = Godmode = No hull damage.
Unless you would want to put in place a min HP check before switching on the godmode.
Might make things a bit more complicated than it's worth.

Would it be an idea to just remove some of the enemies or give them smaller ships/worse skills to make it easier for the player?
Quest battles should be fun, interesting and challenging; not impossible, right? ;)

Unsinkable = Godmode = No hull damage.
Unless you would want to put in place a min HP check before switching on the godmode.
Might make things a bit more complicated than it's worth.

Would it be an idea to just remove some of the enemies or give them smaller ships/worse skills to make it easier for the player?
Quest battles should be fun, interesting and challenging; not impossible, right? ;)
The 3 ships show up before and as far as I know you should actually defeat them then. If you dont then they show up again in the next fight. Else its just a 1 on 1. Still you dont have to defeat them. If you board the right ship you are done and you can escape again.

also I believe this is suppost to be a little bit of a higher rank quest.

Merged the two topics about the Oreilly quest together.

also I believe this is suppost to be a little bit of a higher rank quest.
I suppose that makes it a good thing that you made this quest harder to start.
That way you ensure it is done later in the game when the player is hopefully more ready for it.

I suppose that makes it a good thing that you made this quest harder to start.
That way you ensure it is done later in the game when the player is hopefully more ready for it.
Might have to increase the total amount you need to have smuggled before you can start it then some more :p.

Might have to increase the total amount you need to have smuggled before you can start it then some more :p.
You don't want to limit it so much that players don't even notice that sidequest exists. :wp

You don't want to limit it so much that players don't even notice that sidequest exists. :wp
The idea is that at one point I will to expand the sidequest a little bit cause now you only have a smuggler unfriendly path. I want to add a path where you actually help the smugglers. So then if you helped them enough they will inform you about the quest.

The idea is that at one point I will to expand the sidequest a little bit cause now you only have a smuggler unfriendly path. I want to add a path where you actually help the smugglers. So then if you helped them enough they will inform you about the quest.
Yep, that'll be nice if there are characters in the game telling you about it.
Makes sense for that to be the smugglers once they like you enough.

If Melee skill Less than 8 – Outside Town Gate – Auto-walk & talk to 3 men -( if you have already played the Smuggling for Thomas O’Reilly side-quest you will have killed these men so they may not appear here – go and talk to the mine commander )– Knocked out – Transported to Mine - Leborio Drago talks to you - Soldier talks to you – leaves – Mine Commandant arrives and talks to you ( choice to get out of Mine – buy freedom or lead slave revolt )
I'm putting the REAL Stephan, Oswald and Gyles in the Standard Storyline only; Oswald is in the Jack Sparrow one on his own as well.
Then for the sidequest, I'm replacing them with a copy of themselves with different names and IDs:
Code:
Stephan Bonser > Bart Cooke
Oswald Chappel > Wally Cutty
Gyles Dubois  > Bill Jellybones
(Thanks to http://gangstaname.com/names/pirate :razz )
So I'm hoping this should fix the incompatibility. Will need testing on a new game when the next update is posted.

Are there any other known problems mentioned in the walkthroughs that you are aware of and that should ideally be fixed some time?

Anyone tested this already?

Can someone please test this sidequest?
Maybe @A.H could take it for a spin?

Might be a hard test to check the compatibility issue with the Standard storyline.
But based on the changes made, confirming that the sidequest itself still works should be enough.
The storyline code wasn't changed.

Currently doing the first quest before the smuggling one.. so far a few errors to note:

Attachments

• error.log
    634 bytes · Views: 104
I did first quest without any error logs.. now I'm back @ port royal and I'm unable to start the smuggling quest.. he keeps telling me to deliver normal shipments instead of the quest.. there is no "Im looking for work" when i talk business with him.

I even did 2 deliveries for him and made many days pass by, and still he doesn't offer me the quest.. despite me having 850+ cargo free, and being friendly to both england & france

Back