• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Starting Location Mismatch for Personal Free Play Characters

Here ya go! All from the very first save as soon as I hit the dock at Nevis.

POTC4 2015-10-09 16-10-29-54.jpg POTC4 2015-10-09 16-18-38-21.jpg POTC4 2015-10-09 16-18-49-77.jpg POTC4 2015-10-09 16-18-26-11.jpg

Also, the clock is now ticking again.

Last edited:
Thanks @Hylie Pistof

I am being really slow and stupid today.:modding

I have managed to replicate the bug by choosing Adventurer Profession and Personal Nation on the Start Screen. :thumbs1

It is as @Pieter Boelen said

Or a code error. You say that you started the game as a Pirate Adventurer, is that correct?
And then you play through the tutorial, but Malcolm doesn't follow you ashore and doesn't show in the Pirate Settlement town either?
It sounds to me like, as far as the game is concerned, the tutorial is still active as it never finished properly.
That could cause all sorts of issues.

@Talisman caught an identical error before, but I caught and fixed it at the time.
What flag were you flying when you got a shore? Can you even change your flag at all?
(Normally during the tutorial, that is disabled)
And for reference, what is your "served nation" as indicated by the yellow nation name in the F2>Questbook interface?

If possible, please provide a screenshot of the Select Storyline interface detailing as closely as possible the exact settings that you chose.

Come to think of it, I may know what happened.... You probably started the game as a Personal Nation Adventurer?
And that ended up on Nevis rather than Barbados for some reason?
If so, there is a good chance that Malcolm is actually waiting for you to finish that tutorial in Speighstown port.

I'll have to test this when I'm next near my game again.

the previous instance was with Brave Black Flag here:- Fixed - Brave Black Flag Tutorial bug | PiratesAhoy!

:onya

Thanks a lot, @Hylie Pistof! That should give me everything I need to figure this one out.

It is indeed as I suspected: Everything is set up for personal and Barbados but you start at Nevis which should be for Pirates.
Now I wonder what would be the best solution...
Probably starting at Barbados would be the best. After all, it makes very little sense to start at a port of the one nation that you ARE hostile with. :facepalm

I guess I didn't do a very good job of explaining things.

No Problems - having a Profession & a difficulty level with the same name ( adventurer ) is confusing.

Perhaps the profession should be renamed ( or just removed since there are lots of them ).

:drunk

You got a suggestion for an alternate name? That would be the simplest thing to change.

You got any suggestion for changing the name? That would be the simplest thing to do.

Privateer could be another name for the Corsair player type as that is what it is now (except for pirate ones).

Scallywag to me sounds like a less than respectable reputation....

Hmm.... Indeed that word isn't yet in use anywhere.
So.... Apprentice, Journeyman, Buccaneer and Swashbuckler then?

I've been wondering if there should be an actual Privateer player type or if Corsair should be renamed.
But I suppose perhaps it is already fine as is.
No need changing everything just for the same of it. :facepalm

Got the chance to look at the code now and this problem makes perfect sense. Mistake in the coding. :facepalm

Now there are several ways to solve this:
1. Have "Personal Nation" starts on Barbados same as the Standard storyline
2. Have them start on Nevis like they do now, but ensure the tutorial works there too!

Technically neither truly makes that much sense, but then there IS no personal island for the player to start at.
Probably I figured for the Free Play storyline that Nevis is more "neutral" than Barbados is.
Except the pirates would be the only "nation" that IS hostile to you.

So tell me: How would you like to see it?

It would probably be better to start at a neutral port as you have little money to buy cargo, making Nevis just a bit harder. Unless the player just sails up the coast to Charleston and picks up a trade job there.

So I see not much difference either way as there are no Pirate ships around Nevis to bother you. Hmm, Speightstown does have that fort with juicy civilians in it...................:nerbz.

Thought about it a bit further and it has to be Barbados.
Getting Nevis linked to personal nation in Free Play but not in Standard will require far too many exceptions in the code.
Not worth the trouble....

This thread now renamed to more accurately reflect the original issue.

Also... it's fixed. Barbados it is! ;)

Hmm.... Indeed that word isn't yet in use anywhere.
So.... Apprentice, Journeyman, Buccaneer and Swashbuckler then?

:facepalm

There is still a Difficulty Level and a Background Profession with the same name :- Adventurer

:drunk

Attachments

• PotC Difficulty.jpg
    PotC Difficulty.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 84
Back