• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Stock Frigate

Oskar94

Sailor Apprentice
Storm Modder
I'm doing some improvment on the stock frigate:

24gmybq.jpg

14ienio.jpg

dms1ox.jpg

s595cl.jpg

it does look a bit better, though the colors are too perfect right now. also, do keep in mind that a lot of textures will need modifying, since the firgate is one of the most retextured ships in the game, if you're actually thinking of replacing the whole model.

It looks like you are giving it a new bow. The bow on those things has always been bad.

the railings look different too. i don't think there was one like that on the stairs before. also, i see an open cabin.

Oh my... are you kidding me? That's... just... wow! :woot
I've always wondered how much better some of the half-decent stock ships could look, and now you're demonstrating just that! :bow

Morgan made a good point, though; what will we do with the finished model?
Replacing the whole frigate fleet might be a bit drastic, but perhaps this could be used in place of 'RN_Heavy_Frigate' and 'US_Heavy_Frigate', which are meant to look more modern anyway.

Oh, and you're allowed to use the new deck texture I gave the Surprise... ;)

That's great! Alternatively to only replacing a few ships,
do you think you could keep your new edition compatible with the original hull textures?

That sounds like a good idea, but in practice it might not be so easy. :?
One thing in particular is that most of the frigates have different stern window designs, so any improvements Jack makes to the windows will not fit every texture.
Plus, there are two hull designs: one which Jack is remodelling, and the other with the horse/mermaid figurehead.
That would mean almost half the frigates would still be stock quality, unless he improves them both, which is twice the workload.

The old textures can be adapted, i think Craiggo will do this work, i'm using only a texture for all the hull, one for the stern and some others, like deck, that's the same as Surprise one, hull details etc...

Here you are an update:

110cg89.jpg

2rxciyu.jpg

dhfwba.jpg

I'm using only a texture for all the hull, like on older ships, plus one for the stern... :keith

She looks beautiful! :woot
Glad to hear you could change to one hull texture; does it fit the old textures?
It doesn't have to, but it's a lot of conversion work on the old textures if they don't fit.

Them have to be converted, also because i think are too low quality compared to the new model...

Fair enough. Higher quality will be worth the conversion, anyway. :yes

that ship's always needed rerigging. it's not really a matter of sails though, just ropes, and lots of them.

the bulwarks towards the bow have a bit of a wierd wobble in them. i know it's a trick of perspective, but it's the only thing i can find on the thing that looks odd. overall, that's an enormous improvement. any changes to the back of the stern?

Ropes? Did someone say ropes? :p3 Ropes are easy but tedious. But anything I could do would use the old masts. Is that desirable?

But anything I could do would use the old masts. Is that desirable?
I think it's fair to say that the old masts wouldn't quite suit this much improved hull. :eek:ops
The masts probably need to be totally new, but the rigging itself shouldn't need to change much.

she looks alot better, a huge overall improvement! :doff Have you considered adding quarter galleries of some sort? that might get tricky with the stock skins though. :? she looks good without them, I just thought it might make a nice finishing touch

Awesome job Jack! This will make a nice replacement for the old one.
me.gif
Sure, I'll help with the textures and rigging.
icon_wink.gif
Are you going to want to keep the textures somewhat similar?

Back