• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Storyline Period Changes

Uberman7788

Landlubber
I upgraded to 2.4 Build 2, from 2.1, today and I noticed in the Tales of a Sea Hawk campaign there is a GREATLY reduced amount of ship variety.

I'm only seeing the same handful of ships everywhere I go.

I used to see things like light frigates, heavy frigates, 3rd rates, 5th rates, 1st rates, all kinds of ships.

Now I only see pirate frigates, pinnaces, galleons, sloops, and other very small craft. None of the shipwrights sell anything other than tier 7-8 ships either. I think I've seen ONE tier 6 and nothing lower (save for a French Royal Man O' War but thats a super rare occurance I guess.)

There used to be a huge variety of ships of all sizes now its just a handful of small ships and a couple medium sized and maybe one or two large sized ships.

Is this a feature or what?

I know Armada adjusted various ships_init.c values for accuracy and to make things make a bit more sense. But I don't think that is quite supposed to be happening.
Can anyone else confirm this? Or is it just a case of bad luck?

One thing I do know is that larger towns tend to sell larger ships.

Just to be sure, I started a new Standard storyline game on purely default settings and ran straight into the shipyard.
They had available a grand total of 12 ships, most tier 7 and 8. However, they also have:
Tier 5 Carrack
Tier 5 Pinnace
Tier 3 Advanced Warship
Tier 2 Poseidon class 3rd Rate

I've visited most towns in the archipelago and I've never seen anything (save for the tier 1 Man O' War) less than tier 6. And I've only seen one tier six.

I must have terrible luck then. I'll try starting a new game.

Did some more tests:
1. Some tier 5 ships also available
2. Only tier 8-7 ships
3. Two tier 5 ships in addition
4. Only four tier 8 ships
5. One tier 6 ship in addition
6. One tier 5, 4 and 3 ship also there

So it seems that while the game does favour the tier 7-8 ships early on, larger ships do appear occasionally.
Just keep looking. They are out there.
And if you can't buy them, just go ahead and capture them. Are you a pirate or not? :whipa

BTW: Starting a new game doesn't make a difference.
What you CAN do is spend the night in the tavern and visit the shipyard again the next day.
Good chance he may have a slightly different set of ships then.

Did 2.1 already had different eras of time?

If not I would guess that with all available ships now spread at 4 or 5 eras, this will result in leass ships in a specific era.
Overall, in the game are much more ships now, but in a specific era it can be less. Just my guess.
And some ships seem to be more common in a specific era. In napoleonic times where I actually play, I run across Schooners very frequently, for example.

Shipwrights will sell only ships according to your level in default configuration I think. This can be changed in the options, in advanced options - shipyard realism.

It is still early in the game for me at level9, but it is true that the shipyards mostly sell tier 8 and 7 ships with a smattering of larger ships. The large ships simply are not as common as the smaller ones and that is reflected in the shipyards. Havana is a good place to go shopping along with VanDervecken.

Did some more tests:
1. Some tier 5 ships also available
2. Only tier 8-7 ships
3. Two tier 5 ships in addition
4. Only four tier 8 ships
5. One tier 6 ship in addition
6. One tier 5, 4 and 3 ship also there

So it seems that while the game does favour the tier 7-8 ships early on, larger ships do appear occasionally.
Just keep looking. They are out there.
And if you can't buy them, just go ahead and capture them. Are you a pirate or not? :whipa

BTW: Starting a new game doesn't make a difference.
What you CAN do is spend the night in the tavern and visit the shipyard again the next day.
Good chance he may have a slightly different set of ships then.

Thats the problem, I'm trying to capture ships but I don't see any of the same ships I saw in 2.1 save for a couple of stock game ships.

I'm lvl 20 and in 2.1 I had an advanced warship. I've never seen anything less than tier 6 on the seas in this update! No light frigates, heavy frigates, frigates in general.

Pretty much NOTHING more than 18 pounder cannons. Its kinda ruining the game for me. No difficulty at all and no sense of advancement.... I have 1.8 million gold and nothing to spend it on!

The introduction of the Periods mod isn't even mentioned in the "Build Info.txt" file.
Looks like we've had that since at least March 2009 (that long already???). So that's definitely not the cause.

Vanderdecken always has the same ships available, namely the ones you cannot otherwise find anywhere plus the three steamships.
Not the best place to look if you just want regular large vessels, but he might have something to interest you nonetheless.
Be warned though: His prices are STEEP! :whipa

Thats the problem, I'm trying to capture ships but I don't see any of the same ships I saw in 2.1 save for a couple of stock game ships.
Are you using the modpack's default settings or did you change any of them? There are some settings that could influence the ships being used in the game.
Especially the "Sea encounters generating" one from Options>Advanced Options. Be sure that is set to "Encounters are completely random".

In the few tests that I do, I regularly encounter quite large ships as part of fleets.
Just today I encountered two large Spanish galleons in the Woodes Rogers storyline, which is set in the same time period as the Tales of a Sea Hawk story.

Then I don't know whats going on. I'm only seeing the SAME 10 types of ships out there. I've been playing all day and seen nothing else. Theres no variety at all anymore.

That sounds really quite strange. You could try to remove your "options" file from your main game folder and start a new game.
That should clear out whatever options were set and restore everything to default. Not sure if that'll help, but it'd worth a try I suppose. :facepalm

I tried that. Once I get to play longer than just running into a shipyard I'll see if it works.

But its odd that theres like none of the same ships carried over from 2.1 into 2.4. I miss my Heavy Frigates.

Is everying supposed to be weak? The biggest ship I've seen all day is a 22 gun, 12 pounder Brigantine. Nothing has more than 32 guns and nothing has more than 18 pounders. In my 2.1 I was using 32 pounders and had 58 of them.

None of that is supposed to be happening. All those ships are still there.
The only ships we REALLY removed were the US_Lydia and a few Light Frigates (of which there are still many left).

Yesterday I was on a trade mission to Charlestowne on Nevis and as I approached in my gaff schooner I saw there was a battle and went to see what I could capture. It turned out that the ships involved were a Pirate Heavy Brig, an English Barque Longue, and English heavy East Indiaman, and a French 3rd rate Battleship. I was only able to capture the pirate ship after it surrendered to the 3rd rate.
The big ships are out there but they are rare.

Yesterday I was on a trade mission to Charlestowne on Nevis and as I approached in my gaff schooner I saw there was a battle and went to see what I could capture. It turned out that the ships involved were a Pirate Heavy Brig, an English Barque Longue, and English heavy East Indiaman, and a French 3rd rate Battleship. I was only able to capture the pirate ship after it surrendered to the 3rd rate.
The big ships are out there but they are rare.

Thats the thing I'm not looking for big ships I'm looking for anything else.

I haven't even seen a single Xebec! I used to see Xebecs and light frigates ALL THE TIME, now I haven't seen a single one of either!

The only frigates I've seen are "pirate frigate" and an aurora class. Nothing more, nothing less. All I want is a heavy frigate to go raid merchants with but I can't find anything like it at all.

Sounds like I must have underestimated some of the changes I made to the encounter chances. :facepalm

For reference, the six periods are numbered 0 - 5 (5 being latest), and the Sea Hawk storyline is 2.
What I know is that some ships were formerly spread across periods 1 - 4, being least common in 1 and 4 and most common in 2 and 3.
However, this was unrealistic for some ships that were meant to start appearing only in the early 18th century (mid period 2), so I changed the encounter chances to use 2 - 4, now meaning the ships are less common in 2 and 4 and most common in 3. As a result, it seems there aren't enough ships commonly appearing in period 2.

What I'll need to do is compare the original Beta 2.3 encounter chances with the new ones and see if I can balance things out again.

EDIT: Please note that the former Light Frigates have been upgraded and are now known as the Aurora class Frigates. The former Frigates have also been renamed to Kreyser class Frigates.

EDIT2: Can I ask what you play the Sea Hawk storyline for, primarily? Is it for free-play or following the storyline?

I play only free play, I don't follow the story.

And that clears things up, but even then, a Pirate Small Craft would either (using 2.3 names) 2 Frigates, 1 Light Frigate and a Xebec, A single Xebec, or two Xebecs. Now its just "pirate frigates" and an occasional barque or sloop or something tiny.

Armada, did you edit the Xebec encounter changes too?
Reducing the chances on other ships should make the ones that aren't touched more common. :facepalm

For now I'm reverting back to 2.3 until things are out of WIP, lol.

How exactly would I go about doing that.

And about the time periods, since you can't really die of old age, and I play the game long enough, would I be able to get more modern ships as time progresses? Or is the whole campaign locked to one period no matter what the year?

Now that I think about it, back in 2.1 I would encounter the ships I'm encountering all the time in 2.4 rarely, and the ships I'm looking for now were sprouting up everywhere. Its like their spawns were reversed, almost.

And about the time periods, since you can't really die of old age, and I play the game long enough, would I be able to get more modern ships as time progresses? Or is the whole campaign locked to one period no matter what the year?
For simplicity's sake, it's locked.

Back