• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Stuck in narrow places

DocMoriarty

Powder Monkey
Ever since PotC has been out and been played it was clear that you constantly get stuck in narrow places when there are other characters around. And build mod makes that A LOT worse with constantly generating too many characters in small locales. But the peak of bad design is the landing area at Saint Johns/Antigua. Just went there on land and took me like 10 minutes to push my entourage over that whatever it's called in english. If you'd been a designer in my company you'd be fired by now because knowingly designing such a narrow place under such circumstances is borderline smart. Other bad examples are tavern brawls, especially when you just leave the hotel room. It doesn't add to an enjoyable gaming experience, it's nothing but an completely unnecessary annoyance!

I don't know when the dock at Antigua was built but the version in GOF2 is wider. That part goes back to Sea Dogs. You can tell by the flags that don't move.

Yes it is annoying to be stuck on the stairs while your officers die. I thought that was fixed.

Any new created location should make sure there is enough room for 2 characters to pass by each other, if possible with drawn weapons. Especially when you can run around with a gazillion own crewmembers and officers. In Antigua for example there are frequent soldier raids in the outskirts and there you need a gazillion own crew to survive. That all feels a tad unbalanced.

The locations were made by the original game developers. Two options:
Use the crazy sidestep mod
or
For places like the Antigua pier, move the player locator in front of the officer ones so you don't have to get past

Well that should be done by the mod author, not me. I know that the narrow stuff is partially from original game but not Antigua.

The locations were made by the original game developers. Two options:
Use the crazy sidestep mod
or
For places like the Antigua pier, move the player locator in front of the officer ones so you don't have to get past
Using the sidestep mod is a lot easier, and solves the same problem in all places at one stroke. Which is why one of the first things I do whenever I re-install or update PoTC for any reason is go into "InternalSettings.h", go right to the bottom and set "SIDESTEP_ENABLED" to 1. There are a lot of places where this makes life easier, and changing the player locator won't help when your officers have followed you into a tight spot and boxed you in.

Well that should be done by the mod author, not me. I know that the narrow stuff is partially from original game but not Antigua.

@DocMoriarty In many cases, the original mod authors are no longer around. Some get burned out, or get tired of POTC and move on to other games, often before all the issues with their mods are worked out. As Pieter pointed out above, some models come from completely different games, I am pretty sure all place models do, and they do have a few glitches. Insulting the modders that remain and continue to work on the Build Mod is not a good way to get the particular problem that you have fixed.

We are all volunteers here, we do what we do as a hobby. Most of us became modders by fixing things that we found broken because either no one else had time, or no one else was capable of doing it at the time. If you have found something that you feel needs to be fixed, then either try and provide as much useful information on the problem, or learn what you need to learn to fix it yourself!

Back