• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Survival Tips?

xp194

Landlubber
Hi, I recently picked up POTC and the New Horizons/Build 14 mod and wow it's nice. However... I have a hard time keeping any of my new characters alive.

At sea, I always seem to be outnumbered by the enemy and sunk. On foot, my opponent tends to stab me and my crew through in about 10 seconds.

Can I have some hints to help increase my lifespan? I'm using Arcade sailing (a mariner I am not) and otherwise default settings, and I can't help but think I'm doing something horribly wrong.

Thanks in advance,
xp194

Get yourself a good blade, make sure to block and use bandages/potions.
At sea, don't attack enemies that are too strong for you.
Try to use grapeshot to kill your enemy's crew, then board and capture the ship.

Get yourself a good blade, make sure to block and use bandages/potions.
At sea, don't attack enemies that are too strong for you.
Try to use grapeshot to kill your enemy's crew, then board and capture the ship.

Ah. Grapeshot hadn't occured to me. That could help.

And I'd guess a lot of the sword fighting is down to the timing, yes?

Basically, block until the enemy isn't attacking, then strike. So yes, timing is important.
But also your weapon stats and fighting skills. But on default settings,
you gain fighting skills only by fighting, so you'll need to take the risk.

Another trick I like is to ALWAYS block between strikes, even when there's no need,
because strike-block-strike is actually faster than strike-strike, so you get more hits in.

a little tip for when your being chased by an enemy ship that your sure you cant take: shoot it with chainshots, this will rip its sails apart and if your lucky even bring down a mast, giving you a chance to sail away from the battle.

Another little tip when you want to sink either a bigger ship than you or an annoying chasing ship:
If you press [9] on your keyboard (not the numpad), you'll drop a mine in the water.
If any ship hits that, it's an instant kill. :cheeky
Beware of random floating mines when sailing around with DirectSail though.

Talk to Gregor Samsa - walking arround in Speightstown port - one of his dialogs says he was once the best merchant in the world & he offers to sell you some high quality items including weapons even early in the game.

May need to talk to him a couple of times to get the dialog & Buy /Sell screen. - his items will not change so if you don't have enough money - go and get some then go back to him & he will still have the same items for sale.

Get a good sword :yes

:ixi

One of the best swords in the game is in the cave outside Speightstown

In 1st jungle section go left
In 2nd jungle section go right (keep cliff face on your right )
Enter cave
With ladder on your right - take 1st right
Follow Planks on ground straight ahead - sword is at far end ( there are 2 junctions - 2 bandits at each junction you will have to fight )
Go back the way you came

Early in the game when everybody is tougher than you and it only takes 2-4 strikes to kill you, get thyself some grenades. One grenade kills 2-4 of them and the survivors are weakened enough that you should be able to kill them. And block often with your sword. :ixi

Back