• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Tavern Soldiers Turn Hostile When They Shouldn't

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
In my last game I got accused of being a spy by a soldier in a tavern who then tried to arrest me. After that every tavern I entered that had soldiers in it went straight to a fight.

I was not a spy, had never flown a false flag, had never sunk or captured a ship, and was in fact a French citizen in a French tavern.

Yes same happened when i first started the game.. but with french because i am rebel and they hate me from the start.. so they always accuse me of being a rebel whenever i engage in conversation with ANY guard

After that every tavern I entered that had soldiers in it went straight to a fight.
See here: Needs Testing - Friendly guards attacking you | Page 2 | PiratesAhoy!

In my last game I got accused of being a spy by a soldier in a tavern who then tried to arrest me.
[...]
I was not a spy, had never flown a false flag, had never sunk or captured a ship, and was in fact a French citizen in a French tavern.
What flag were you flying at the time? Do you have a savegame where you get the "you're a spy" dialog when you believe you shouldn't?
Might be a logic error in the random guard dialog file.

Yes same happened when i first started the game.. but with french because i am rebel and they hate me from the start.. so they always accuse me of being a rebel whenever i engage in conversation with ANY guard
What flag were you flying while talking to those French guards?

@Hylie Pistof and @A.H: Please provide more details about the circumstances where you got called out for being a spy while that didn't seem right to you.
Ideally provide a savegame in front of a soldier with whom it can be reliably reproduced.

I'd like to fix this for you, but I can't really do it without more details because I don't yet understand when and therefore why it would happen.

I was french.. i started new game as McAllister and a rebel.. then i went to Port au prince in hispaniola and I had french flag.. then when i was accused of being a spy, i saw that my french relations were -120 and spain 0

I was french.. i started new game as McAllister and a rebel.. then i went to Port au prince in hispaniola and I had french flag.. then when i was accused of being a spy, i saw that my french relations were -120 and spain 0
It just accused you of "being a spy"? Not "a French/personal/pirate spy"? If so, that at least is functioning like it should.
Rebels start hostile to their chosen nation (they wouldn't be much of a rebel if not) and therefore there is a risk when doing business in a hostile town.

Though there IS a "false flag recognition chance" factored in there, so you shouldn't be called out as being a spy every time.

Yes for my case I don't think there is any malfunction.. but not sure about Hylie's situation how it started.

@Hylie Pistof: Can you please provide a savegame where you got these hostile guards in taverns?
I'd quite like to sort this one out!

To clarify, you may be accused IN DIALOG for being hostile if:
- You are marked as a "pirate" and are in a non-pirate location (contains random effect on your pirate fame level); the dialog will accuse you of PIRACY here
- You are flying a flag hostile to the nationality of the soldier you're talking to; the dialog will accuse you of being an ENEMY here
- You are REALLY hostile to that nation and you got detected for this; the dialog will accuse you of being a SPY here

So @Hylie Pistof: Which of those three did you get?

I answered all of your questions in post #1.
You got accused as "being a spy". That can happen only if you are personally hostile to the nation that soldier belonged to.
So there are the following options:
- You were in a French tavern talking to a French soldier: Therefore you must have been hostile to France.
- You were in a French tavern talking to a non-French soldier: This would explain it, but shouldn't happen.
- You were not in a French tavern: That doesn't agree with the opening post.

None of those options match with your story, so I require a savegame where it happens.
Otherwise I will never be able to figure this out and I'll be forced to call this "Not a Bug" because I have no other option.

"Cannot Confirm" for now then. If you do run into it again, please make post a save here and then hopefully I can figure out what happens from there.

In the Buccaneer Camp, there was a "pirate guard" in the tavern.
And as I am hostile to the pirates, he accused me of being an enemy, triggering plenty of fights.
And then some more. And some more again.

So I'm making the following changes:
- Get the original guard who spots you to JOIN in the fight, so he gets killed and it doesn't start over again
- Avoid random guards in Pirate taverns altogether
- Include "resetting of soldier AND citizen AI group relations" on buying amnesty, being promoted and paying to make the forts reset you

That should help at least a bit.
Does that sound about right? Or am I still missing something there?

I killed the original soldier who falsely accused me of being a spy, and in every tavern I entered after that on any island belonging to any nation if there was a soldier walking around a fight started instantly.

I must also say that in this new game I am up to level 24 and have not been accused of being a spy and the only oddity is at Port au Prince.

Back