• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Technical Storm Engine 2.8 Question (Hyperthreading and SSE)

TheBlackKnight

Corsaire Flibustier
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
All,

I was doing an in depth study of some of the game engine code last night and I have a a two point technical question for the staff and modders out there regarding the Storm Engine 2.8.

I cannot find a proper reference in any past posts and this has not seem to have been brought up regarding modern computer systems.

Ok, here is the skinny:

Does enabling the following functions in the engine.ini:

1) Hyperthreading = 1
2) EnableSSE = 1 (originally commented out)

result in ANY net performance increases?

Basic testing this on my high end game rig does not seem to really result in any major boosts, but I am still compiling results at various resolutions at fixed values for ant-aliasing and anisotropic filtering.

Was this a feature in the game engine that was never implemented during its time?

I can tell you that using a 4GB exe patch on the start.exe main executable (to increase the available RAM the game uses) does actually improve the game performance, however it introduces instability and potential for crashes for no apparent reason, which is not an improvement...

Last edited:
No ideer as I'm new to COAS and have not touched that stuff.

Queation: The enable SSE part has some gobbledegoop in it. Is it safe to delete this? ïðèíóäèòåëüíî âðóáèòü äëÿ ÀÌÄ EnableSSE = 1

I am using an AMD cpu so the hyperthreading part will probably have no effect.

No ideer as I'm new to COAS and have not touched that stuff.

Queation: The enable SSE part has some gobbledegoop in it. Is it safe to delete this? ïðèíóäèòåëüíî âðóáèòü äëÿ ÀÌÄ EnableSSE = 1

I am using an AMD cpu so the hyperthreading part will probably have no effect.

That is just the russian notes regarding SSE implementation, nothing important, totally safe.

I will get my hex editor to work going to desect the executable.
This engine is reminding me of Mount and Blade Warband in terms of its optimization and use of Direct X 9.0c

I will find a way to make even more improvements in performance and squeeze a bit more juice to bring this game up to modern standards.

Last edited:
Considering that there are still graphics from Sea Dogs 1 in COAS it should come as no surprise that there is still code from Sea Dogs 1 in there as well. POTC was made with a 17 person team and somehow I doubt the COAS team was much larger.

PotC wasn't called Sea Dogs 2 on the Storm 2 engine for nothing then.... :wp

Back