• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help TEHO textures questions

Ahoy!
So I started upscaling game's textures, got good results. Now I'm trying to put them back to the game, but TX Converter says maximum texture size is 2048x2048 px. I have them as big as 8192x8192.
1. Do you know of any workaround for it or is it strict engine limitation?
2. Before I convert it back to ".tga", I have it in ".png" format. Could I shorten the time needed for all the conversions making it ".png.tx" file or maybe just ".tga" file, or will the engine load only ".tga.tx" textures?

Worst case scenario I will resize them back to 2048x2048 - it should provide better results than vanilla either way but I would be happy even with 4096x4096.

Do you know of any workaround for it or is it strict engine limitation?
It's a TX Converter limitation for sure.

Before I convert it back to ".tga", I have it in ".png" format. Could I shorten the time needed for all the conversions making it ".png.tx" file or maybe just ".tga" file, or will the engine load only ".tga.tx" textures?
VCO and PotC have some .bmp.tx files.
I think those may just be incorrectly named TGA ones though.
The texture references do need to match for sure between the code/GM and it's actual name.

Yes, now from what I understand, the "bmp" part should be just part of the name, not extension, therefore I could rename it to *.tga.tx in the end. Provided I'll find a way to convert >32MP textures anyway.

So the TX converter is a making of someone from this forum, do I have it right?

Welcome aboard @BallsOfSteelBaby! :cheers

I am not sure. But if it is, it is probably one of the older members who made it.

On the other hand, I remember something about Akella giving the modders tools.

Yeah, I found other program called OpenImagesIO you have to build first and some other program from Autodesk. It will take more time than I thought.

Ok, I managed to convert a few of them to .tx file and the game doesn't load them; neither when I'll convert them to tga and then to tx. I may look into this later but if anyone has any suggestions, it would be most welcomed.

What does this maya plugin do anyway?

Ok, i figured it out somewhat

Is there any guide on how to properly import textures to their engine? I checked their Help Files, but there's nothing about them

Last edited:
Yeah, I found other program called OpenImagesIO you have to build first and some other program from Autodesk. It will take more time than I thought.
As far as I know, that TX format is an Akella special.
If that's true, I'd be very surprised if any other functional tools for it exist at all.
But here's to hoping that I'm wrong! :cheers

Is there any guide on how to properly import textures to their engine?
With TX Converter. :shrug

What does this maya plugin do anyway?
It's to export the 3D model files to the game's GM format.
Has nothing to do with textures though.

It’s not an Akella special format. TX is a normal file format, just not that common. It’s for optimizing texture load. Unless Akella has their own tx format not connected to the other, but that would be highly unlikely.
Their TX Converter has limitation cited above but I may be able to get some information from it about needed compression/whatever. The game doesn’t load other textures upscaled from 512x512 to 2048x2048 as well so the size is not a problem. Or at least not only.

Hello.

I'm interested in the subject, I'd like to be able to translate the texts of the texture files, from English to Spanish, for the Hookmod ESP.

I know that the POTC: New Horizons Mod has translated them, but I'm not sure.

@BallsOfSteelBaby I leave you the link to the message where comrade @Grey Roger explains how to do it.

WIP - Spanish translation

I don't know how possible it would be as I have to convert .tga to .png to upscale it and .png is just a bitmap - no layers in there. How many textures with text are in the game?
As to the conversion itself - do I have it right, the game needs 16bit format without alpha at all?

Texture files with embedded text are quite a few and serve to make way for other screens or areas of the game.

In my case I'd like to translate them into Spanish, I manage to convert the text to tga.tx format with the 'ConversorTX' so that I can edit it with Gimp, but I can't see the text layer so that I can edit it or include a new layer with the translated text.

I don't know how to do this.

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla (32).png
    Captura de pantalla (32).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 346
It’s not an Akella special format. TX is a normal file format, just not that common. It’s for optimizing texture load.
Interesting!
Learned something new. :cheers

The game doesn’t load other textures upscaled from 512x512 to 2048x2048 as well so the size is not a problem. Or at least not only.
That does suggest something else might be wrong.
I've got a faint memory that a certain setting in the TGA file needs to be correct for the game to accept it.
But I don't remember what it was anymore at all.

@Jack Rackham or @Grey Roger; do you know which one I mean?

There was also something with these settings on the Photoshop side:
Targa.png

Either the game should OR should not have that 'Compress (RLE)' enabled.

I think...

Yep, I think that the compress (RLE) should be disabled.

I remember reading something about it, somewhere here.

Back