• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Spanish translation

Thank you all very much for adding me to the translation group. :ahoy
There is no formal translation group, so no need to add you. Anyone can read this forum. Anyone who has registered on the forum can post. Anyone who wants to post things to add to the mod is welcome to do so without needing any further permission. If there is a translation group, it is anyone who has posted translation files, which means you effectively added yourself to the group just by posting the files. Welcome. :D

The folder you are commenting on does not appear in my game, in that location I only get \ PROGRAM \ DIALOGS \ ENGLISH

It may be because my original game is the Spanish version.
The translation files are only available if you install the full Build Mod from here:
Mod Release - Build 14 Beta [Last Update:28th February 2020]

In particular, you will need the update archive:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_25May_updates.zip
This will only work if you have installed the Build Mod. It is this archive which contains the translation files.
I pass the edited files to you, maybe the font is not correct ... :read
Unfortunately, I can not access mega.nz. Both Firefox and Chrome refuse to connect to it.

Dialog files which would go into "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\SPANISH" do not need a font as they are plain text. For loading screens, the font is Dolphin Bold. You can download it from here:
Download free Dolphin Bold font | dafontfree.net
Alternatively, search the Internet for "Dolphin Bold font" and you will probably find several sites. (Dolphin font, without the "Bold", will work but will not look quite the same.)

Dialog files which would go into "PROGRAM\DIALOGS\SPANISH" do not need a font as they are plain text. For loading screens, the font is Dolphin Bold. You can download it from here:
Download free Dolphin Bold font | dafontfree.net
Alternatively, search the Internet for "Dolphin Bold font" and you will probably find several sites. (Dolphin font, without the "Bold", will work but will not look quite the same.)
They are loading screens, I opened them yesterday; though it should be noted that they are not yet on the correct format in order to be used in the game.

Also thanks, for linking the font once more, I will keep my back ups; but it would be useful for other people. :cheers

Unfortunately, I can not access mega.nz. Both Firefox and Chrome refuse to connect to it.
That's weird, maybe try to delete that specific website's cookies?

Try zipping the files into a single archive. If it's under 10MB, you can then post the zip file here. If it's more, zip half the files and see if that ends up less than 10MB, then I can at least see what sort of files they are. In fact, if you can even zip one file and post that, I'll be able to see what it is and, if necessary, help @JTem to finish the job.

Extract Pictures.part1.rar with 7-zip; the others will be automatically extracted.

Attachments

• Pictures.part1.rar
    10 MB · Views: 154
  • Pictures.part2.rar
    10 MB · Views: 147
  • Pictures.part3.rar
    10 MB · Views: 157
  • Pictures.part4.rar
    2.2 MB · Views: 154
I only see two files after extracting those, "Sketch001.tif" and "Sketch002.tif".

"Sketch001.tif" appears to be a copy of "+ TEMPLATE Location Screen.psd" with "Waterfall..." in brown replaced by "Cascada" in black, without the "...".
"Sketch002.tif" appears to be a copy of "+ TEMPLATE Loading Screen.psd" with "Start New Game..." in brown replaced by "Comenzar nueva partida"in black, without the "...".

@JTem: if you want to translate a loading screen, here is how I've done it:
  1. Use TX Convertor to convert the existing file, e.g. "RESOURCE\Textures\Loading\English\Town_Douwesen_Exit.tga.tx", to .tga format. The game uses .tga.tx format, which can not be read directly by programs like Photoshop. TX Convertor converts the file to .tga format, which Photoshop and other programs can read. You can get TX Convertor here:
    http://www.piratesahoy.net/cloud/repository/Tools/Modeling+Texturing/TX Convertor.zip
  2. Open "+ TEMPLATE Location Screen.psd" for a location file such as "Town_Douwesen_Exit.tga", or "+ TEMPLATE Loading Screen.psd" for a general file such as "new_game.tga". Resize it to match the original file, e.g. "Town_Douwesen_Exit.tga" is 1024x512, while "Town_IslaMuelle_Exit.tga" is 1024x1024.
  3. Open the converted file. Copy the entire picture into the "TEMPLATE" picture, above Layer 6 which is the picture of the waterfall and below Layer 5 which is the scroll. If you have resized the "TEMPLATE" picture correctly, the text from the picture which you just copied should be hidden.
  4. Edit the "Waterfall..." text. Change it to the translated text that you want to use.
  5. If you are using "+ TEMPLATE Loading Screen.psd", hide or delete the layer with the text "Roy Cross The Bounty Off Pitcairn Island". This text is not used on any of the current loading screens. It is the credit for one particular picture which is not the one you are using.
  6. Save the picture in .tga format under the same name as the original picture, into "RESOURCE\Textures\Loading\Spanish".
  7. Use TX Convertor again, to convert your new file to .tga.tx format.

As an example, here are screenshots from me doing this to convert "Town_IslaMuelle_Exit.tga.tx":
txconvertor1.jpg resizing.jpg picture_copied.jpg text_changed.jpg txconvertor2.jpg

I used Google Translate to translate "Outskirts" to "Afueras". If a different Spanish word would be more suitable, I can easily change it.

Your version of Photoshop may look different to mine, and if you use something other than Photoshop then it will obviously look different! But you should be able to see what I did, then do the same in whichever program you use.

I only see two files after extracting those, "Sketch001.tif" and "Sketch002.tif".

"Sketch001.tif" appears to be a copy of "+ TEMPLATE Location Screen.psd" with "Waterfall..." in brown replaced by "Cascada" in black, without the "...".
"Sketch002.tif" appears to be a copy of "+ TEMPLATE Loading Screen.psd" with "Start New Game..." in brown replaced by "Comenzar nueva partida"in black, without the "...".
That is indeed what I got from mega.

The reason the game uses .tga.tx format is that it's a lot smaller than .tif. Each of those .tif files is 16MB, and zipping them does not compress them much.

By contrast, "RESOURCE\Textures\Loading\Spanish\Town_IslaMuelle_Exit.tga.tx", which is what I created while writing the instructions, is 2.7MB. The zipped version is 1.1MB and is attached here as a single file.

Attachments

• Town_IslaMuelle_Exit.tga.tx.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 193
[/ QUOTE]Welcome JTem, in case it helps ..., I use up to four automatic translators, but the one I use the most is Deepl, which in my opinion is the best by far, especially since it has the option of many synonyms for each word.

Traductor de DeepL[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much @Perro Negro , that alternative will be very useful to me. :onya

There is no formal translation group, so no need to add you. Anyone can read this forum. Anyone who has registered on the forum can post. Anyone who wants to post things to add to the mod is

@Grey Roger, I already have the game updated with the available languages, I was missing the "Extrafix" file ... :wp

@JTem: if you want to translate a loading screen, here is how I've done it:
  1. Use TX Convertor to convert the existing file, e.g. "RESOURCE\Textures\Loading\English\Town_Douwesen_Exit.tga.tx", to .tga format. The game uses .tga.tx format, which can not be read directly by programs like Photoshop. TX Convertor converts the file to .tga format, which Photoshop and other programs can read. You can get TX Convertor here:
    http://www.piratesahoy.net/cloud/repository/Tools/Modeling+Texturing/TX Convertor.zip
  2. Open "+ TEMPLATE Location Screen.psd" for a location file such as "Town_Douwesen_Exit.tga", or "+ TEMPLATE Loading Screen.psd" for a general file such as "new_game.tga". Resize it to match the original file, e.g. "Town_Douwesen_Exit.tga" is 1024x512, while "Town_IslaMuelle_Exit.tga" is 1024x1024.
  3. Open the converted file. Copy the entire picture into the "TEMPLATE" picture, above Layer 6 which is the picture of the waterfall and below Layer 5 which is the scroll. If you have resized the "TEMPLATE" picture correctly, the text from the picture which you just copied should be hidden.
  4. Edit the "Waterfall..." text. Change it to the translated text that you want to use.
  5. If you are using "+ TEMPLATE Loading Screen.psd", hide or delete the layer with the text "Roy Cross The Bounty Off Pitcairn Island". This text is not used on any of the current loading screens. It is the credit for one particular picture which is not the one you are using.
  6. Save the picture in .tga format under the same name as the original picture, into "RESOURCE\Textures\Loading\Spanish".
  7. Use TX Convertor again, to convert your new file to .tga.tx format.

As an example, here are screenshots from me doing this to convert "Town_IslaMuelle_Exit.tga.tx":
View attachment 36451 View attachment 36452 View attachment 36453 View attachment 36454 View attachment 36457

I used Google Translate to translate "Outskirts" to "Afueras". If a different Spanish word would be more suitable, I can easily change it.

Your version of Photoshop may look different to mine, and if you use something other than Photoshop then it will obviously look different! But you should be able to see what I did, then do the same in whichever program you use.

@Grey Roger. Thanks for the tutorial to change the texture files, I will try it carefully, I have tried to change some texture before with little success.

@Grey Roger. Thanks for the tutorial to change the texture files, I will try it carefully, I have tried to change some texture before with little success.
@JTem: Be sure also to download the files from here:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/international_start.zip
They are not yet in the update archive, though they will go into the next one. I have already made Spanish versions of some files, which will save you some work. "international_start" also contains an updated version of "PROGRAM\reload.c" so that Spanish versions of top level load screens, such as "new_game.tga.tx", will appear.

Last edited:
Isn't the actual format named .tx; with .tga being in the files name and not extension?

There are textures that ended in .bmp.tx
For example: "RESOURCE\Textures\dmap02.bmp.tx"
Yes, you are right. I thought that ".bmp.tx" was different to ".tga.tx" in that TX Convertor converts them to ".bmp" and ".tga" respectively. But I've just tried copying and renaming one of the ".bmp.tx" files to ".tga.tx", then ran TX Convertor. The result was a ".tga" file which Photoshop read and showed to be the same as the ".bmp" version. So in theory they're all just .tx format.

However, we may as well regard them as different. If you copy "dmap02.bmp.tx" to "dmap02.tga.tx"; run TX Convertor to convert it to "dmap02.tga"; make changes and save it back as "dmap02.tga"; and then use TX Convertor to convert it back to "dmap02.tga.tx"; then it won't work. A piece of code somewhere is presumably looking for "dmap02.bmp.tx" and will not find "dmap02.tga.tx". So it's probably best to treat ".bmp.tx" as if it were a different format to ".tga.tx" even if they're actually the same.

Yep, what you are saying is 100% correct.

I was saying this on a purely technical standpoint, practically you should keep everything after the first dot the same. ;)

I have a memory of once replacing all .bmp.tx files with .tga.tx for the sake of consistency.
Of course that doesn't apply anymore and I probably needn't have bothered...

A small correction in the pronouns in common.ini and the Ardent questbook and related files reviewed and fixed.

Next step should be the dialogs, a quick test showed that many of them were not only badly autrotranslated but outright broken, which menat that I wasn't able to properly test every questbook entry. But to avoid translating the same dialgos twice, like with the storyline-specific "blaze" or tavernkeeper dialogs that share many lines, the best course of action would be starting with the main dialogs and use them as a template.

On the other hand, I'd like to get the rest of the questbooks finished first, as I already have most of the work done in my old files.

Attachments

• ArdentQuestbook.zip
    30.2 KB · Views: 198
  • common.ini
    79.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
And the main questbook with the side and general missions that also needed some fixing, that's RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\SPANISH\QUESTBOOK

Hello.

I can take care of this folder, if no one else has it assigned.

And so I officially debut...

No need to take care of it, I uploaded it already translated. As I said, I have all the questbooks translated in my old files, so I only need to update them.

@Grey Roger @Bartolomeu o Portugues. I'm looking at the characters_names file for the Bartolomeu storyline, and it also needs the new Street Merchant treatment, like the Gold-Bug and others, so it can translate the name properly. FreePlay also could use the same update for the character named Spanish commander, because the word "Spanish" by itself, like "merchant" is checked in common.ini first.

Last edited:
Back