• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Spanish translation

This should be it. A couple of tiny changes in interface_strings ("pueblo taíno" for "aldea taína", they're similar words, aldea being a smaller less developed settlement, but I changed it because that's the one I've used in the questbook and most other instances of "village"), the updated main questbook, including the new Colombian silver quest, and the storyline folder for Bartolomeu
Thanks for that! :cheers

The change from "pueblo" to "aldea" is a bit amusing. Originally I'd used "aldea" because I'd seen it somewhere else in one of the files. Then I put "Taino village" into Google, got "Pueblo taíno", thought that "aldea" was another of the faulty original translations, and changed it. I should have left it as it was! (And checking "Taino" on Wikipedia showed that it should have the accent over the "i" in English as well, so I changed the English files accordingly.)

More two-word character names that could use re-definition, this time in Jack Sparrow's storyline:
French Soldier
Random Drunk
Spanish Solider
Prison Commendant

And in Standard, possibly:
French Sapper
"Solider" and "Sapper" do not need to be redefined. "Solider" is wrong anyway, it should be "Soldier", so I'll correct that in the character definition, but the character's name is just "Soldier", not "Spanish Soldier". (He is also set to use greeting alias "Gr_Redmond Solider", which does not exist. It should be "Gr_Redmond Soldier". Except that it shouldn't because that's the greeting alias for a British soldier; he should probably use "Gr_isla muelle soldier" instead.)

Likewise, "Sapper" is the character's only name, and it doesn't matter because the character never appears in the game. The character is "quest_sapper", for which there is no mention in "quests_reaction.c", so he was probably intended for the alternative story for Danielle.

However, in Jack Sparrow's "characters_names.txt", the following also need to be added after "Jocard":
Code:
Spanish Lieutenant{Teniente español}
Spanish Officer{Oficial español}
Prison Commendant{Comandante de la prisión}
Spanish Midshipman{Guardiamarina española}
Translations are from Google. Correct them if necessary!

Attachments

• characters_names.txt
    4 KB · Views: 199
All good except Guardiamarina española, which should be "español" . The word guardia is peculiar in that it was originally a feminine word even when applied to a man (la guardia), that's why it agrees with "marina" and not "marino", but overtime it evolved to be properly gendered while still remaining invariable (la/el guardiamarina, although of course there weren't any female guardiamarinas back then so it was effectively only "el") so now it agrees with masculin adjectives if referred to a man. No wonder Google gets confused with that one!:p

Last edited:
Another thing. In the Colombian silver quest, I noticed the shore location Dolphin Sands is not in common.ini or interface_strings, like most other locations and thus cannot be translated. Yes, it is a proper name, but it would be weird for a beach in Colombia to have an English name if the rest of the text is in Spanish, and I have translated most other shores with descriptive names for that reason (Rocky Shore, Octopus Bay...). Not a must but it would be nice for the sake of consistency. For a Spanish translation I would go with "Arenal de los Delfines"

Here's Jack Sparrow's characters_names. In addition to "Guardiamarina español", I've fixed a couple of capitalisation issues and little details.

Attachments

• characters_names.txt
    4 KB · Views: 201
Another thing. In the Colombian silver quest, I noticed the shore location Dolphin Sands is not in common.ini or interface_strings, like most other locations and thus cannot be translated. Yes, it is a proper name, but it would be weird for a beach in Colombia to have an English name if the rest of the text is in Spanish, and I have translated most other shores with descriptive names for that reason (Rocky Shore, Octopus Bay...). Not a must but it would be nice for the sake of consistency. For a Spanish translation I would go with "Arenal de los Delfines"
Done, and I've also changed it in the questbook.
Here's Jack Sparrow's characters_names. In addition to "Guardiamarina español", I've fixed a couple of capitalisation issues and little details.
One more detail fixed:
Code:
Spanish{Espñaol}

Attachments

• characters_names.txt
    4 KB · Views: 186
  • interface_strings.txt
    117.8 KB · Views: 213
  • colombian_silver.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 197
About WoodesRogers: part 1 is out and playable but I'm still working on part 2 which is a direct continuation.
If files are translated now they may be incomplete as for ex dialog files changes almost every day. What do you think of this situation?

I've applied the same "street merchant" fix to the Medicine Woman in GoldBug. I commented on it a couple of weeks ago but it must have been lost in the thread, so I edited characters_names and TempQuest myself. I tested it and it works, so if @Jack Rackham and @Grey Roger see no objection, it could be added to the next build.

Looking at WoodesRoger, quite a few character names defined in its TempQuest file need the same treatment. I can do it myself too if you want.

Attachments

• characters_names.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 197
  • TempQuest.c
    196 KB · Views: 226
About WoodesRogers: part 1 is out and playable but I'm still working on part 2 which is a direct continuation.
If files are translated now they may be incomplete as for ex dialog files changes almost every day. What do you think of this situation?
Dialogs are a long way off, and Woodes Rogers would be the last storyline I'd do anyway, as it's incomplete, so we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. About questbook and other resource files, if they change, they change. Nothing can be done about it but update them when it comes to that. Like with the others, I have the questbook translated in my old files, so it won't be like starting from scratch even if they've changed a lot since then.

C:\POTC\NH 2020\RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\SPANISH\Storyline\Standard is done. The only one that is left is WoodesRogers, and when that's done the RESOURCES side of things should be fully translated.
One small correction to "characters_names.txt":
Code:
French Soldier{Soldado español}
That should probably be:
Code:
French Soldier{Soldado francés}
I've corrected my copy.

Have you noticed that, if you sink or capture an enemy ship, there's a report in the top left of the screen? And one line of that report says something like "Tipo: war_ship Barco".

The reason for that is these lines in "interface_strings.txt":
Code:
trade{comercio}
war{guerra}
They're wrong. The English version is:
Code:
trade_ship{Trade}
war_ship{War}
The game wants to translate "war_ship", can't translate it because the keywords are wrong, so it just shows the untranslated keyword.

The reason I found that was that I noticed that even in English, if I sink a pirate ship, it says "Type: pirate_ship Ship". This is because while "trade_ship" and "war_ship" are in "Interface_strings.txt", "pirate_ship" is not. I added it, then sunk a pirate ship and the report said "Type: Pirate Ship".

The attached version of Spanish "interface_strings.txt" has the correct keywords as well as a line for "pirate_ship":
Code:
trade_ship{comercio}
war_ship{guerra}
pirate_ship{pirata}

I've still to figure out how to put the words in correct order for Spanish, i.e. "Barco comercio" instead of "comercio Barco", but at least you'll now get a Spanish word instead of "trade_ship".

Attachments

• interface_strings.txt
    117.8 KB · Views: 182
Have you noticed that, if you sink or capture an enemy ship, there's a report in the top left of the screen? And one line of that report says something like "Tipo: war_ship Barco".

Code:
trade{comercio}
war{guerra}
Code:
trade_ship{Trade}
war_ship{War}
The game wants to translate "war_ship", can't translate it because the keywords are wrong, so it just shows the untranslated keyword.

The reason I found that was that I noticed that even in English, if I sink a pirate ship, it says "Type: pirate_ship Ship". This is because while "trade_ship" and "war_ship" are in "Interface_strings.txt", "pirate_ship" is not. I added it, then sunk a pirate ship and the report said "Type: Pirate Ship".

The attached version of Spanish "interface_strings.txt" has the correct keywords as well as a line for "pirate_ship":
Code:
trade_ship{comercio}
war_ship{guerra}
pirate_ship{pirata}

I've still to figure out how to put the words in correct order for Spanish, i.e. "Barco comercio" instead of "comercio Barco", but at least you'll now get a Spanish word instead of "trade_ship".

I think the most correct translation for commercial would be "mercante" and the order would be as you say: and the order Would be "Barco mercante"

In the code: trade_ship{mercante}

Code:
trade{comercio}
war{guerra}
Code:
trade_ship{Trade}
war_ship{War}

Code:
trade_ship{comercio}
war_ship{guerra}
pirate_ship{pirata}

That log is defined in AIShip.c
Code:
                // RM -->
                bool bPirated = false;
                if (CheckAttribute(rDead, "skipRM"))
                {
                    DeleteAttribute(rDead, "skipRM");
                    DeleteAttribute(rDead, "betrayed");
                }
                else
                {
                    float points  = 1.0;
                    if(CheckAttribute(rDead,"Points")) points = stf(rDead.Points);
                    string ship_type = "";
                    if (CheckAttribute(rDead,"FantomType")) ship_type = TranslateString("",rDead.FantomType + "_ship");
                    TraceAndLog(TranslateString("","Type") + ": " + ship_type + " " + TranslateString("","ship") + ". " + TranslateString("","Points") + ": " + points);    // LDH 31Jan09
                    if (CheckAttribute(rDead, "betrayed"))    rMainCharacter.traitor = true; // PB: Temporary attribute, will be deleted in the next function
                    bPirated = UpdateRMRelation(rMainCharacter, iNation, points);
                }
                // RM <--
I guess a switch would be needed that only affects the Spanish version. We did something like that in my old files (and we'll probablty have to odo it again for the current version) for the date format and some other stuff. Some of those switches are still in my old files, but not for this particular case.

And as JTem says, the ship types should translate as "barco mercante", "barco de guerra" and "barco pirata". "Comercio" means trade as in the general activity of trading. When it was first translated, as there was no context, it was translated as "comercio", but in the context of a trade ship, it definitelyy should be "mercante".

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing me at "AIShip.c", @Homo eructus! :cheers

No switch for Spanish should be needed. Instead, I'll try changing line to remove "ship", then add it into "interface_strings.txt" instead. That way, translators for other languages can do whatever they need. Or, if you want to test it, here are revised "AIShip.c" and "interface_strings.txt", with "trade_ship" now translated to "Barco mercante" - thanks @JTem. :onya

Attachments

• AIShip.c
    224.1 KB · Views: 166
  • interface_strings.txt
    117.9 KB · Views: 197
C:\POTC\NH 2020\RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\SPANISH\Storyline\Standard is done. The only one that is left is WoodesRogers, and when that's done the RESOURCES side of things should be fully translated.
I forgot to change the codification of the storyline-strings file to ANSI so that special characters show up correctly. Here it is.

Attachments

• storyline_strings.txt
    1 KB · Views: 179
Tha same is true for Freeplay. And a missing bracket on top of it:facepalm

Ok., apparently it's not only those two, there's a few more. I checked the codification in all the questbooks (I hope I did, now I'm starting to doubt it..., but no, as I was comparing them with my old files, I get a pop-up message when the codification is different so that's hard to miss), but I missed a lot of the storyline_strings.:oops:

Attachments

• storyline_strings.txt
    690 bytes · Views: 196
Last edited:
Woodes Rogers' text files are done. I also fixed the rest of the storyline-strings files, so I'll upload the entire SPANISH folder rather than all the extra files one at a time. So the resource side of the game should be entirely translated now, barring whatever will need to be added to interface_strings for logbook entries and all that.

Also Woodes Rogers quests_reaction with the two-word names given the old "street merchant" treatment. I didn't test it extensively, but form what little I saw it worked.

Attachments

• SPANISH.zip
    551.8 KB · Views: 220
  • quests_reaction.c
    2.9 MB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Back