• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

the amazing JUNK

Iron Roger Flint

Freebooter
Storm Modder
hi.gif
all!

I wanted to present my current project - the Empress. This is just a little model I'm making while practicing 3d modeling. Why this ship? Because it's my most favourite one from potc movies (all that detail).
junk.jpg
junk3.jpg
junk2.jpg

The model is still unfinished (no stairs, fences, masts, rigging...), but I'm quite happy how it turned out so far. I'm going to try make this ship playable, but there is a 'small' problem: potc doesn't support chinesse sails
mybad.gif
. This probably calls for creating a new type of sail by coding, modeling and animating. Because it's either complex or, well... impossible to do, I'm looking for a workaround. So here is my request for help: anyone who knows how to solve this problem please PM me or post here. Any ideas are appreciated
doff.gif

P.S.: I'm also looking for good reference images for the texturing part.

My suggestion would be to use regular fore-and-aft rigged sails and see what we can achieve by just applying a Chinese sail texture.
Alternatively, I wonder if it might be possible to seperate the Chinese sails in DOZENS of small sails.

In any case, she looks great. Please continue! :woot

Will try that. I also thought about simply modeling sails into masts (static) and creating an invisible sail texture. That way it's possible to make sail turn according to the wind direction, but it won't go up or down, nor it will move when wind blows.

BTW thanks for ideas and positive evaluation Pieter
me.gif

That'd also be a possibility, yes. Though I'd suggest trying the textured sails first. ;)

Im excited :D

Cap'n Drow was working on junks but not sure whats happened... be good to know it actually is being done :cheeky

Are you going to move onto the Hai Peng once you have finished the Empress? :?

Oh and I reckon one of Pieter's suggestions for the sails is the way to go (dont know which one though)

Newbies should enjoy sailing these kinds of ships - from what I read so far a junk rig (is that even the correct term) is generally simple to handle and handles well in tack.

The shape of a gaff rig should be "close enough" for simulation purposes but I hope these ships won't be auto-generated in random encounters because... we're not sailing in Hong Kong, yet lol. But unique ship for a quest or even an Oriental explorer (storyline idea there), oh yes!

One other question - I've seen one instance of a fore and aft rigged Xebec in game but never had a chance to engage her. I was thinking she wouldn't be named a Xebec (as they're named for the lateens) but in any case, what is it? Looks pretty mean, like a cross between future Atlantic clipper and a junk.

Yeah Cap'n Drow was working on junks but I have not had any updates recently...

I am really in the mood to get my hand on junks though so keep up the good work ;)

Nice work Iron Roger Flint, she is a real beauty! I can't wait to capture ...er, see her in game! :onya

The shape of a gaff rig should be "close enough" for simulation purposes but I hope these ships won't be auto-generated in random encounters because... we're not sailing in Hong Kong, yet lol. But unique ship for a quest or even an Oriental explorer (storyline idea there), oh yes!
It should be quite possible to use her as quest-only ship. :yes

One other question - I've seen one instance of a fore and aft rigged Xebec in game but never had a chance to engage her. I was thinking she wouldn't be named a Xebec (as they're named for the lateens) but in any case, what is it? Looks pretty mean, like a cross between future Atlantic clipper and a junk.
That sounds like the Schooner Xebec, aka. Gaff-Rigged Xebec:
schoonerxebec.jpg

Yeah! It seems very promising! A bit of exotism! Keep up the good work matey!

Keep it up IRF ! looking nice ! just dont go crazy over details...
About texturing... i have a nice woods collection... maybe i'll upload some of them to the FTP so anyone can use them

Gaff-Rigged Xebec:
schoonerxebec.jpg

Got one of those yesterday, and immediately changed it for a ¿ CorvetteLS ? why LS anyway

yeah the gaff rig is really close, so it'll probably be my first atempt to use them for sails. And a good texture might turn it look really close to real chinesse sails.

Speaking of detail, what is exactly a "healthy" vert and polycount for a ship, so it would not cause playability problems ?
unsure.gif

@SuperChango: I could really find use for those textures. thanks

I vaguely recall that something like 10000/20000 is the max for the polycount.
What's your current count?

I'll pick some of the ones i have and let you know

About polycount, the galleon i was working on has 20k something... and the framerate didn't dopped at all... so Pieter is right... but since this is the first model you make, don't get obsessed about it, you'll go by producing cleaner meshes with time...
BTW, what software are you using ? 3d i mean...

right now it's just below 10k polys

I'm using both max and maya, but the last one is a bit messy on my pc - it starts to lag very badly
unsure.gif
so for most of the time it's max. Also have blender installed, and I'll probably give it a try someday

ok... no clue about max, about maya, wich exact version is it ? i'm having trouble exporting locators with 5.0.1...

Nice one Iron,

Just a quick question, I can do engineering 3D work and I was thinking about having a play with modeling some ships.

Where do you get the details from (design & dimensions) for them?

Back