• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help The automatic skill system

I wouldn't argue about numbers of ships - there are some of course. Just no fort battles as I recall them of later periods. Perhaps it's just that there are lesse pirates in 1550? This would explain it very well, because most fort battles later were done by fort vs. pirates.

Strange. There is no code to decrease the number of pirates based on period either.

Heya.

I just encountered another strange thing. Since it is still about the new skill system, I'll put it in this thread.

It's again about the sailing skill. Being unsatisfied with the speed it increases, I watched it closer. Now this is what I found.

I did receive 4% while chasing and batteling enemy ships.
I did receive another 6% when boarding an enemy ship.
Id did receive 3% while manually outsailing enemy ships while *not using time compression*. Which also gies true for the other pints above, all that was done without compression.
On the other hand, I did not receive even 1% sailing for doing half the distance from Martinique to Gouadeloupe *while using* time compression.

Is it possible, that one does not receive any sailing skill % while using time compression?

I remember Jeff did something to sailing experience in that open seas mod he did, and so Ilooked into the files in the mod.
In his version of LogInterface.c I found these lines:

// LDH accumulate sailing experience - 21Dec08
void AccumSailTime()
{
ref mchr = GetMainCharacter();

if ( ! IsPerkIntoList("TimeSpeed")) // not in compressed time
{
if (!CheckAttribute(mchr, "SailingMinutes")) mchr.SailingMinutes = 0;
mchr.SailingMinutes = sti(mchr.SailingMinutes) + 1; // Note: do we want to add more if in battle?
}
}

Does this mean sailing experience is not gained when sailing in compressed time? And if so, why?
If so, I'd like to change that, because I don't get the idea behind. Time compression doesn't change anything about that I'm actually sailing my ship, so it should give sailing experience.

And, another question, completely different subject ...
I actually downloaded the high res moon ... moonglow.tga.tx
Where exactly is that to be placed to get the moon in game?

Great thanks in advance.

Are you using the latest modpack update? If so, the new moon texture is already in there.

Indeed you don't gain sailing experience during time compression. That was Hook's idea back in the days.
Doesn't make too much sense to me either and, since you already found the code responsible for it, you can fix it very easily:
Code:
// LDH accumulate sailing experience - 21Dec08
void AccumSailTime()
{
    ref mchr = GetMainCharacter();

//    if ( ! IsPerkIntoList("TimeSpeed"))        // not in compressed time
//    {
        if (!CheckAttribute(mchr, "SailingMinutes")) mchr.SailingMinutes = 0;
        mchr.SailingMinutes = sti(mchr.SailingMinutes) + 1;        // Note: do we want to add more if in battle?
//    }
}
That should get you to always accumulate sailing experience. :doff

Heya Pieter,

Are you using the latest modpack update? If so, the new moon texture is already in there.

I do use b14_beta2-2_light, is there any newer version? I wonder because my the moon is one of the most low res parts in the game, actually, that's why I thought I did not yet have the new moon. I'll add a screenshot to verify me, if needed ;-)

Indeed you don't gain sailing experience during time compression. That was Hook's idea back in the days.
Doesn't make too much sense to me either and, since you already found the code responsible for it, you can fix it very easily:

Great thanks, I just did it. I'll give you feedback, I'm about to try it out right now.

Just sailed around Guadeloupe, which took me 13 or 14 game hours, and I received 3% sailing skill with that. Looks fine to me.

I do use b14_beta2-2_light, is there any newer version? I wonder because my the moon is one of the most low res parts in the game, actually, that's why I thought I did not yet have the new moon. I'll add a screenshot to verify me, if needed ;-)
No, there isn't. The new moon texture is supposed to be in there. Can you double-check that your main menu DOES say you're running Build 14 Beta 2.2?
Anyway, the separate moon texture download file goes in RESOURCE\Textures\WEATHER\SUN\GLOW , so you can try that as well.

Heya!

No, there isn't. The new moon texture is supposed to be in there. Can you double-check that your main menu DOES say you're running Build 14 Beta 2.2?
Checked, it is.

Anyway, the separate moon texture download file goes in RESOURCE\Textures\WEATHER\SUN\GLOW , so you can try that as well.

Thanks, I'll try that. At least, the new file is bigger (1.366 KB) than the old one I replaced (171 KB), so it may well be better now. Now I just need a night with moonlight to prove.

Edit: Yes, this is much better. It still doesn't match up with the ship models, but it's definitely an improved moon.

Please post here if it is better or not. As far as I'm aware, it is Armada's further improved file that is currently in the modpack.

Pieter, it's possible that you compressed the texture too much for Beta 2.2, so the result looks worse than it should. :shrug

The resolution is 256x256 as before and the quality looks fine in the TX Converter.
In fact, it appears I did not needlessly compress it at all. So the only question is: Am I using the correct file at all???

Edit: Based on the above, maybe I'm NOT using the correct file. Would you mind just posting the better one so I can include it properly this time?

That is the hirez moon that is good for not very widescreen monitors, but is better than the 4X3 hirez moon from Armada.

Heya again Gents,

one small addition to my remark about less fort battles withg direct sail and open seas.

Just met something interesting.
I got the land ho message, and short after ... I nearly did not notice it ... there were several messages about some characters (not mine) gaining some skills. I first thought, some ships were fighting close, just out of sighting range (it was night, and sight was bad). But then, with daybreak, an additional message came in "[ship name] has been sunk bei Fort Phillipsburg".
So I now think, that there actually are fort battles, but perhaps lots of them are long finished (with the fort having all ships sunk) when I arrive. Because from land ho to actually arriving in sight of a port, it could easily take a full days sailing.

This would of course not explain, why I don't see any fort battles when leaving ports.

It's definitely possible that any fort battles would be finished before you get there. :yes

The resolution is 256x256 as before and the quality looks fine in the TX Converter.
In fact, it appears I did not needlessly compress it at all. So the only question is: Am I using the correct file at all???
Ah, the improved texture should be 512x512 at 32 BPP. Compressing it to 16 BPP might not be a good idea, either.

In that case, I just plain don't have the correct texture in use. Do you still have it?

Every time I make a new install I use that widescreen texture that Skyworm likes. AFAIK Armada made 2 moons. One 4X3 and one widescreen.

I have been playing the 1550 storyline for a few days and am up to level 8 or so now. There are plenty of pirates on the world map, but they are scarce in direct sail. They are always at Nevis and Turks, and I have seen them getting into battles at Grenada and Hispaniola. The battles are over by the time I get there. I have seen them in the distance when leaving port, but they sail away.

I can confirm this, I met several of them at Nevis. And also an entire fleet at the open seas, which turned and sailed away when they saw me coming.

Back