• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The Flying P-Liners

robinzon

Powder Monkey
In another thread I saw the development of steamers for the GOF mod. Now I wonder/request the creation (if it's possible and anyone feels like it) of some 5-masted cargo barques of the late 19th century, with the most known being the Flying P-Liners (Potosi, Preussen) or some of it's 4-masters (Passat,Peking, Padua...). These were amazing ships and no doubt a nice benefit for a trading-minded captain because of the enormous amount of cargo they could transport. The problem is though that they're not from either the Golden Age of Sail nor the Golden Age of Piracy. Then again, steamers aren't either. ;-)

Btw., the Preussen was 147m long, had 6,806 m2 of sails and could achieve 20.5 knots. With such speed it's lack of cannons would not be a big problem. :D

Some pics to illustrate.

Potosi_at_wharf_-_SLV_H99.220-4278.jpg

Preussen_after_collision_-_SLV_H99.220-612.jpg

I don't think I've seen any work on steamers for GoF; we added them to PotC: New Horizons.
They are actually historically correct in the later time periods though; there were experiments with steam technology going on back then.

Not sure how you'd actually play with one of those ships you propose. They'd probably manoeuvre pretty badly and have no cannons, I think...

I don't think I've seen any work on steamers for GoF; we added them to PotC: New Horizons.

I'm still not used to this forum, so unfortunately can't find that thread again, but it might've been in Storm Modding.

Not sure how you'd actually play with one of those ships you propose. They'd probably manoeuvre pretty badly and have no cannons, I think...

Yup, no cannons and bad maneuverability, but it would have speed (thus would not need either since it would be fast enough to outrun any threat) and a a huge cargobay! :D One ship would transport more cargo (and thus make more money) than a whole fleet has until now. Hm, wait a second, I'm not sure that's a good point, almost like a cheat. But it still would be amazing to have a 5-master to sail. :D

I'm still not used to this forum, so unfortunately can't find that thread again, but it might've been in Storm Modding.
This one? http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/baltimore-steam-propulsion-laboratory.15276/
That's PotC. :wp

Yup, no cannons and bad maneuverability, but it would have speed (thus would not need either since it would be fast enough to outrun any threat) and a a huge cargobay! :D One ship would transport more cargo (and thus make more money) than a whole fleet has until now. Hm, wait a second, I'm not sure that's a good point, almost like a cheat. But it still would be amazing to have a 5-master to sail. :D
Would make a brilliant target for pirates! And if the wind dies...

This one?

Yes, that's the one. POTC... figures. :(
I tried to get back into POTC last year with the build mod, but it's so inferior to AOP2 in so many ways.

Would make a brilliant target for pirates! And if the wind dies...

IF they caught her! :D And that danger would definitely be part of the thrill. Right now in GOF I'm sailing a boat I completely disarmed to make room for more cargo and it's quite a thrill to sail without any protection and have to rely on wits and sailing skill to avoid the enemy.

Yes, that's the one. POTC... figures. :(
I tried to get back into POTC last year with the build mod, but it's so inferior to AOP2 in so many ways.
Other than graphics, what ways are those?
I'm more inclined to say that with the latest Build Mod, AoP 2 is inferior in so many ways to PotC. :wp

For example, walking and moving physics. I tried that stranded-on-an-island start. For example in that wrecked ship with the tilted floor, I kept falling through a floor that was supposed to be solid and when I moved sideways I actually levitated and went through walls. There were some other, smaller things as well that I can't remember anymore, plus, as you said, poorer graphics.

But for memories sake I might reinstall just POTC again, moor in Greenford harbour and enjoy something that seems to be missing in AOP2: ambient sounds from the island when you're at sea. I have gorgeous memories of being moored in that bay and of the full moon and stars in the sky, while listening to the whisper of the waves and the jungle sounds from the island. And since it was summer when I played it, thus hot, I actually felt like I was there, the only thing missing where the tropical scents.

For example, walking and moving physics. I tried that stranded-on-an-island start. For example in that wrecked ship with the tilted floor, I kept falling through a floor that was supposed to be solid...
Uh? Never seen that before. Not sure where that shipwreck location came from; it wasn't in the original game. Might be a CoAS location, actually.

...and when I moved sideways I actually levitated and went through walls.
For all the crap we get for the sidestep weirdness, I'm beginning to think we might as well REALLY take it OUT of the modpack again! :whipa
As covered in our FAQ:
3. If I use the A or D buttons my character slides and can go through solid objects; why?
The original game didn't have sidestep, so we added it. We tried to include collision detection, but failed.
Easy way to stop it is to not press the buttons ;) (or reassign them).
So don't hold that against us. :shrug

...as you said, poorer graphics.
With all the improving we've done on that over the past years, I'm inclined to say it looks pretty good.
Sea colour enhanced, better special effects, vastly improved models and textures, increased draw distances and much more.
And no anime-inspired character models like AoP and CoAS have. :dance

Uh? Never seen that before. Not sure where that shipwreck location came from; it wasn't in the original game. Might be a CoAS location, actually.

Dunno. It was one of the alternate game starts where IIRC I get dumped by my crew on some atoll and then swim to this flooded island with the wreck. There I have to build a raft to get back to civilization,where I get put in prison IIRC. It's been a while since I played it so my memory is kinda shoddy, sorry.

For all the crap we get for the sidestep weirdness, I'm beginning to think we might as well REALLY take it OUT of the modpack again!

Ah, didn't know that, thought it was from the original game. :)
As covered in our FAQ:So don't hold that against us. :shrug

Don't worry, I'm not. :cheers

With all the improving we've done on that over the past years, I'm inclined to say it looks pretty good.
Sea colour enhanced, better special effects, vastly improved models and textures, increased draw distances and much more.
And no anime-inspired character models like AoP and CoAS have. :dance

What the heck, I might try it and see what it's like now. :)

The ambient-sounds-at-sea are still there?

Dunno. It was one of the alternate game starts where IIRC I get dumped by my crew on some atoll and then swim to this flooded island with the wreck. There I have to build a raft to get back to civilization,where I get put in prison IIRC. It's been a while since I played it so my memory is kinda shoddy, sorry.
That's the Woodes Rogers storyline. That is more of a puzzle adventure story. If you want to play the game in a more normal way, it is better to use on of the other ones.
Also not Hornblower. Both Woodes Rogers and Hornblower are very interesting and a lot of fun, but don't encourage free play. At all.

The ambient-sounds-at-sea are still there?
We didn't remove good content, if that's what you're asking. :wp

COAS does have better graphics and animations on land and POTC has better graphics and controls at sea as well as much more detailed trading and world economy IMO.

I for one would like to see them merged.

That is what I always would have wanted, but I doubt it is going to happen now.
At least we do have a chance at making a finished Build 14 of sorts.

Merging the Build with Storm 2.8 might still happen; you never know. :shrug

All that is needed is fixing the islands so that POTC quests work, fixing the ocean and sky, making the realistic sailing, adding in the POTC ambient sounds, and adding back the POTC style dynamic economy.

Back