• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

the game wont start?

Not sure just some random things, i don't have windows 7 and won't be going down that path either, anyway here's my questions.

1. do you have any mods installed?
2. Have you edited any files? If so which ones?
3. Have you tried starting the game from the directory and not the desktop?
4. Have you tried running the game in compatability mode?

They are random i know but it might help for someone to solve the problem, i hope this problem can be solved for you soon. :onya

No mods.

I've edited one file to toggle on debug files (didn't work beforehand either). The log files aren't being created though...
engine.ini - "debuginfo = 1"

Yes, I've tried running from both (shortcut/start.exe).

I don't have W7, I'm using XP (with old-style windows theme, heh). I'll try using compatibility mode anyway. (Edit: Didn't work. Thanks for the help anyway, though!)

Seems I have you guys almost as stumped as myself. :b: Are there any unofficial bugfix patches floating around? It could help to use one, I think.

Yes this is weird i'm using XP and have had no problems as of yet, i'm just trying to think. Could your computer be in need of a little TLC, disk clean up, defrag etc. I know that these can reduce computer perforce and even stop access to the internet as i have had happen to me a few times, if you download alot and delete/remove games, programs etc alot then you will need to clean your computer more often once very 1 to 2 month to every couple of weeks depending on how often you delete stuff/uninstal things and what there sizes are. Games like COAS is pritty big so it stands a chance that you could have currupt files left over if you have uninstalled and reinstalled the game, If you haven't cleaned your computer you may aswell uninstall the game and run the defrag and then reinstall the game.. A few more questions.

1. Did you install the game using the administrator account if more than one account is present on the computer?
2. Do you have a anti virus running? if so try turning that off and then starting the game (some AV's can effect games from running)
3. Another random question, is your disk clean no scratches etc?
4. Do you have more than 1 disk drive? if so try using another drive to install and play the game.

I'm all out of questions for now lol.

I am the only user, so yes, admin account.

Turning off my AV didn't change anything at all. I'm blessed with one that doesn't interfere with anything. :cheeky

The disk is pristine.

Yes, I do have several HDs, I'll try that now. I'll also try defragging before installing it again (I've got minimal fragmentation as far as I know... Edit: Not as minimal as I thought, this might be the problem. I'll set the defrag to a background process and let it run, I'll come back with if it worked or not. Thanks!).

Edit #2: That wasn't the problem, it seems. :?

Hi,

You can try something, copy your DVD to your HDD and launch an install from it. It sometimes works.

Regards,

Philippe

Hi,

If your card is a nVidia you can try with this program. I install it about three years ago for a war game, never uninstall and it stard with my computer so I can't tell you if it will really help you. I hope so.

http://www.nhancer.com/

Regards,

Philippe

Hi,

If your card is a nVidia you can try with this program. I install it about three years ago for a war game, never uninstall and it stard with my computer so I can't tell you if it will really help you. I hope so.

http://www.nhancer.com/

Regards,

Philippe
Any particular settings I should try? The error is still exactly the same no matter what I've done so far (rigging.dll, etc).

on my old pc i had problems with the videos. maybe it will help you if you remove the videos or the folder (Age of Pirates 2\RESOURCE\VIDEOS).

on my old pc i had problems with the videos. maybe it will help you if you remove the videos or the folder (Age of Pirates 2\RESOURCE\VIDEOS).

In hindsight I should have created a new thread rather than hijacked this one, heheh. (There's a screenshot of my source of woes near the end of the first page.)

I don't know if this will work but install the fil;e bellow into C:\Program Files\Age of Pirates 2 or what ever your main directory for the game is and then see if you can launch the game. It will ask you if you wish to overwrite say yes but please backup the original file just incase it doesn't work.

I tried your engine.ini, but I got the same error again.
sameerror.jpg

Hi, Then try ne change the whole program, start.exe, etc... You can download mine here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/367494890/Age_of_Pirates_2.rar.html

Unzip in a new folder, make a backup of your files and replace by mine. If it's work (and I hope) you'll have to change dialogs. Mine are french.

Regards,

Philippe

That was the next plan philippe so it will be interesting to see if the game starts now, hopefully it does. If it doesn't then i have another idea which will require adding to the game but lets hope and pray this start.exe works. :onya

The last thing you could try if you haven't already is a no cd crack, i'm not sure if it will work but its worth a try. the only other thing is your video card driver's, i can't use the latest for the Nividia GS 7600 pro because i have a pixal problem on most games, so i'm having to use earlier driver's. I'm seriously stumped as to whats wrong and i'm just advicing on possible things that i wouldn't normally think about checking.

Should have been my first question really but whats your system specs?

I've already tried using a noCD, and a mini-image. Neither changed anything.

Should have been my first question really but whats your system specs?

Windows XP (SP3)
AMD Athlon X2 (5400+, 2.8Ghz, two cores)
3GB RAM (DDR2)
Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT
C-Media CMI8738/C3DX PCI (sound card)

I attached a dxdiag on the previous page to my first post if you need more details. (Link)

. Hi,

I gonna send you my module folder. So, if the game crashes I'll be "practically" sure that your system is in fault.

Here it is:

http://rapidshare.com/files/367849631/modules.rar.html

And also my resourse\ini:

http://rapidshare.com/files/367853441/INI.rar.html

I think the game only needs that to start. So, with my modules+program+start it should work or you'll get an error.log.
Luke159, what do you think about it?

Regards

Philippe

That didn't do it either.

I don't get it, I've checked for everything. Hard drive problems, memory problems, corrupted files in the OS, updated windows, drivers, codecs, motherboard failures, fragmentation, too many background processes, reinstall in different locations, all config combinations, nhancer...

By all rights it should be working already.

Back