• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

The mod looks great but some things are frustrating

Tryton

Landlubber
Hi all,

I used to play PotC a lot in the past and when I heard about this mod I just had to try it. I have read the features and at first I was very eager to give it a go. But now that I have actually installed it, it turns out to be quite frustrating.

I started the Nathaniel Hawk questline and as far as I know there are 2 ways to start. You take the original tutorial or you skip it and start on some lonely beach. I wanted to go easy after not having played for a long time. So I did the original tutorial and after Malcom left I started to explore. First thing I noticed whas that strange building on the beach. I had a talk with the guy in front of it. Turns out that you can just push the guy and his house aside bij walking against it.

After that I entered the town, taking the first street on the left, passing some little houses....and suddenly ended up with a loading screen for a dungeon. Somehow I ended up in the dungeon that u can normally enter from ouside of town by taking a little swim (you probably know what I'm talking about). And I'm not quite sure if that dungeon is working as it's supposed to. When you enter it from outside of town like I suspect you're supposed to, the whole dungeon is flooded and I have like zero space to move the camera. And when I go in further to where I can move my camera around I can look through the walls and see my enemies walking around while I'm still swimming and can do a thing to defend myself.

So because of that I decided to give the new tutorial a try. In the manual I saw that there was a little walkthrough in it for this new tutorial. Anyway I left the beach and started exploring. According tot the tutorial you are supposed to die and wake up in a room. That didn't happen to me. Instead of running into some thugs I ended up in the dutch town (can't remember what the original name whas...Douwsen, or something like that).

Because of al these things I'm a little bit confused and don't really know what to make of it. I'm really looking forward to playing New Horizons. It's just that I'm having a hard way to get started. So is there some way to get to know all the new ins and outs of New Horizons? I expected to find them in the manual but thats more like a little walkthrough.

Besides all this stuff I also have a question. At the starting screen where you can choose the storyline you can also set the difficulty and choose to be a merchant, adventurer or something else. In what way will the game get more difficult if I set it higher? And what difference does it make to be an merchant or a for example a corsair?

I hope you guys can help me with this.

After that I entered the town, taking the first street on the left, passing some little houses....and suddenly ended up with a loading screen for a dungeon. Somehow I ended up in the dungeon that u can normally enter from ouside of town by taking a little swim (you probably know what I'm talking about). And I'm not quite sure if that dungeon is working as it's supposed to. When you enter it from outside of town like I suspect you're supposed to, the whole dungeon is flooded and I have like zero space to move the camera. And when I go in further to where I can move my camera around I can look through the walls and see my enemies walking around while I'm still swimming and can do a thing to defend myself.

The Speightstown dungeon / sewer is bugged in Patch 5

You must install the fix in this post for it to be dry --- > http://forum.piratesahoy.net/topic/15382-build-14-beta-1/page__view__findpost__p__383945

There are 3 ways to enter the dungeon - the swim in the port, the trapdoor you found -- and the door opposite the shipyard.

So because of that I decided to give the new tutorial a try. In the manual I saw that there was a little walkthrough in it for this new tutorial. Anyway I left the beach and started exploring. According tot the tutorial you are supposed to die and wake up in a room. That didn't happen to me. Instead of running into some thugs I ended up in the dutch town (can't remember what the original name whas...Douwsen, or something like that).

Do you mean skip the tutorial ( the only tutorial is the one with Malcolm ) and do the storm start - you end up on a random island and have to find the town & your ship etc.

( I see what you mean now - you were following Battle for Liberty in the gameplay guide. That is really just a document you can read to get a feel for the game. It was written by a player as they played the game - making up a narrative as they went along. )

If you are killed in a fight - there is a random chance you will recover - you will be in the local tavern - the barmaid will talk to you and you will have lost money, and items from your inventory. The chances of you being killed ( game over ) or recovering are set in the Advanced Options menu under Options on the 1st Game screen.

The best way to start is to do the tutorial with Malcolm and get him to guide you arround the town doing things to help you get the feel for the game.

Before you start go int Options -- Realism Settings -- and select Arcade Mode -- this is the settting for the original game and restores the shortcuts and Sail to options that are removed in Realistic Mode.

Arcade mode is easier to play on until you get the hang of the game then you can change back to realistic Mode.

Do a Save before you change anything in Options so you can start your game again ( the Resume Game button is not available if you make changes in the Options. )

I hope this helps a bit. - if you have any problems - post on the forums & someone will try and help you.

:cheers

About arcade mode, I use arcade mode but set everything to be the same as realistic mode. That way the only difference is you can sail into the wind and "sail to" works.

I've never tried NH as a merchant. Since that is how I play it, maybe I should give it a try. :rolleyes: The difficulties are apprentice, journeyman, adventurer, and swashbuckler. Apprentice is too easy and I quickly get bored with it. There is a big jump up to journeyman level, and it can be challenging at first. I haven't noticed much difference with adventurer from journeyman. Swashbuckler is harder. If it weren't for bad luck I would not have any luck at all. :rumgone

The weird building is from the BuildingSet; talking to the character should explain most of it.
Refer also to our FAQ stickied on the POTC Build Mod forum.

Falling into the dungeon is an intentional trap that Couchcaptain Charles added for fun a long time ago, but you can turn those pitfalls off.
As Talisman says, the dungeon is bugged (my mistake :facepalm ) but a fix is available.

The manual is more of a written up version of a played game that shows some things that can happen, rather than a full-on manual.
Waking up in a tavern room happens after you die when losing a fight.

Be sure to let us know of any other questions or concerns you might have and we'll try to address them best as we can. :yes

Back