• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Thomas O Reilly quest cannot be completed due to nation relations

@Levis: Anything that can be done to not make this sidequests "too unavailable"?
Perhaps at the very least add a dialog to Thomas O'Reilly to indicate that there IS such a sidequest and to hint and the requirement to start it.
If it becomes invisible, then players won't know it's there and then there is no point in having it. :facepalm

@Grey Roger: How much smuggling DO you usually do in the game?
What reasoning do you have for not smuggling in the later game if you do want to do this sidequest?
Alternatively, what would actually make it attractive to deliberately try to do this one?

I believe there is something in place already. If I remember right he will show up in the rumors once you met the requirements, but I need to check that. Also I want to add it to the smugglers as dialog once you met the requirement. Think I've forgot to include that so will still do that.

I believe there is something in place already. If I remember right he will show up in the rumors once you met the requirements, but I need to check that. Also I want to add it to the smugglers as dialog once you met the requirement. Think I've forgot to include that so will still do that.
I was thinking about when you DON'T fullfil the requirements. Thomas could mention in his dialog that "he does have a job of sorts, but [something something about the prerequisites]".

I was thinking about when you DON'T fullfil the requirements. Thomas could mention in his dialog that "he does have a job of sorts, but [something something about the prerequisites]".
hmmm.....could be.
But with the new smuggling quest from the governor I think you will almost always encounter some smuggling.
Maybe I should change the requirement to just having done 1 smugglingrun. In this quest you need to do at least 1 too. So even a fair playing character could find it.
I was thinking of even adding another option in the quest where if you are doing the smugglers quest from the governor you can report him instead of completing the quest and you'll get a reward from the governor instead.

@Grey Roger: How much smuggling DO you usually do in the game?
What reasoning do you have for not smuggling in the later game if you do want to do this sidequest?
Alternatively, what would actually make it attractive to deliberately try to do this one?
Except for getting rid of the contraband at the beginning of a stormy start for "Tales of a Sea Hawk", I don't do smuggling. It used to be a semi-convenient way to sell illegal goods, less inconvenient than keeping the stuff until I went to a port where it wasn't contraband. (Also I didn't realise that you got the value of any cargo aboard a ship which you sell at a shipyard, so if I had captured a prize ship whose cargo was contraband at the port I'd just reached, sometimes I'd smuggle that as well.) The "improved" smuggling system has made it less convenient so I'm even more likely to simply take the stuff to the next port. (Or just leave it aboard the prize ship and get something for it from the shipyard.)

My only reason for doing the side quest is to complete the collection of side quests. As I said, I never bothered with it before because usual procedure is to get to Martinique early in the game and do everything in sight that doesn't require a high reputation, including helping Turpin Cabanel bust the smuggling ring so I get 5,000 gold when I need it most. So not being able to do "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily" isn't that much of a problem, it just means I keep on busting the Martinique smugglers.

If busting smugglers is what you do, then I suppose it does make sense to not be too big on smuggling yourself anyway. :cheeky

Back