• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Tortuga in Tales of a Sea Hawk

Hello mates, I am playing the "Tales of a Sea Hawk" storyline and there is a strange situation about Tortuga, I want to know if it's intended or if it's bugged.

The fort has the French flag hoisted and the city belongs to France clearly, but I can access it bearing the Pirate flag (the fort doesn't open fire). When I get on land though, the shopkeeper, shipyard master, etc, all refuse to help me because my relations with France are obviously hostile. Is this intended?

(By the way, sorry if this has already been asked somewhere, I searched the forum and could only find a thread from the Summer with a different issue).

Tortuga is a special place that is open to all one way or another so that you can meet a certain Bosun.

Actually, the reason has nothing to do with that bosun. Tortuga was always French, but they were OK with pirates.
That is why the fort doesn't fire on pirates.

However, this applies ONLY to the fort. The character in town treat it the same as any other French town.
So if you're hostile to France, you get the result you noticed and they won't deal with you.

Should the "pirate exception" be added to the shopkeeper/shipwright code as well?
I figure that no matter how accepting you might be of pirates, if the pirate is directly hostile to your own nation, you wouldn't be a great fan. Right?

I think it kind of works well this way, it's a good hiding place if you're being chased by enemies of France and you can recruit sailors from the tavern. However, it isn't a true "pirate haven" as you can't sell your loot, resupply or repair your ship. If you want the city to have the relationship with piracy that you described, the way it is right now really seems the best way to represent it.

I might just go and ask for a pardon from France, the port is quite handy as it gets tiring to walk all the way from the piers to the villages in Nevis and Grand Turk.

PS: Great job with Scarlett, Giselle and Anamaria and the street fights. xD

If you want the city to have the relationship with piracy that you described, the way it is right now really seems the best way to represent it.
I want what would be realistically accurate for Tortuga. But I'm no expert on that. :shrug

Isn't the governor a pirate though?

Also every time my character goes into the main area, a Pirate skeleton chases a priest into the church..... you cannot enter the church or talk to the skeleton... is this intended or part of any storyline?

The governor is a Frenchman because the town is French.

The skeleton chasing the monk is just a bit of an Easter Egg.

Haha thought just as much :p

Thats weird, I swear the governor offers to sort out my relations with the pirates... will double check next time i'm there.

I think he does do that. But that's just due to his dialog assignment. Plus Tortuga IS meant to be a bit of a "pirate haven".
Originally it WAS set up to be an actual pirate town. But we changed it to French for history's sake.

Ahhh okay, was confused then :wp

I know it was taken over god knows how many times by the Spanish, literally to deny it to anyone else, only to abandon it each time! Just for the french, dutch and english pirates to move back in again :pirates

By sea hawks time frame I think it was still a three way pirate colony just claimed by the Governor in the name of France so what you guys have done defiantly fits. :onya

Back