• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Spoiler Treasure hunt

Laurens DG

Powder Monkey
I am just curious. How does it go for you? What's your biggest catch?
I can't be the only lucky bastard I seem to be....

It seems rather easy and even game-breaking money-wise. I noticed this hunts rather late, but I still get the kick out of it, among many other things.
Eras mod, in case it makes a difference.

In GOF2 I am 3 of 4, but there has not been one for a while. I forget how much I got but it melted away quickly for some reason.

There are so many really hard quests that an easy one is a great relief to me.

It seems rather easy and even game-breaking money-wise. I noticed this hunts rather late, but I still get the kick out of it, among many other things.
Eras mod, in case it makes a difference.

Well one time in one the treasure map's cache discoveries in GOF Eras, I found over 100+ "casket of jewels" among other things.
The total value when cashed in was something like 15 Million PoE with decent trade skills.
Now granted the weight to carry it all off was excessive and every officer was fully loaded to the hilt.

Complete immersion breaking.
I immediately went into the script code for the item listings, modified the item values accordingly, did a console script reboot and fixed the "money madness".

Money is definitely no issue late in game because the profits from invest in bank investments alone will keep you going without evening having to work ever again.
Sort of like a proper military retirement...
Ah, the life of a privateer.
Too bad "Isabella" hates me now.:whipa
Fortunately not like my real Central American wife.
She even looks like her and is from the same region.

A strong overhaul in the economy could really do wonders for this mod and bring things back down to earth, but that is a long term list dependent on whatever MK brings out in a patch.
Most of the values could be balanced out fairly quickly, but trade is a bit trickier.

The longer you play the game the more commodities can get "out of whack" in terms of imports/exports.
At 15 game or so game years in my career, export commodities in some cities is over 100k+ because there is no feature for trade to buy/sell goods by NPC Captains.
The only way to "wipe out the surplus" is to invade and cart off the goods yourself.
This way you kickstart the economy process for that commodity again.
I don't see the changes if a city is invaded by the CPU, but I have never played that close attention to all trade routes so this could be coded into the game.

Last edited:
Boy, those are some weird numbers you mention for the exports.
Same as Hylie I am 3 of 4 with the hunts for now, though lvl 6 atm. 40 caskets average in the last two hunts make me sit at 5-6 mil at 4% in Port Royal. It's so much money early on, but its fine I do some house rules for this type of things. The variation of the items is excellent, bags of salt and such hehe.

It's the first time I started pirate and tried smuggling, I usually avoid it because of too much money, but I do enjoy the hustle, even in plain trading. And there are many different experiences to be had when you feel rewarded in the game, when it goes off limit house rules do the trick for me.
As it is, in many cases resources are treated as infinite and a simple cap would do fine ( I don't mean simple in code language, don't know much about that and am enjoying the game too much to learn). For example in store missions, buying two Dutch trading ships would increase your gain proportional to the total cargo haul you have. Just a cap to the resource would change a perspective. I know they don't always fill your cargo, it varies but is still in proportion. Same for those weird late game numbers, even if other heros don't participate in the economy.

It's really those hookers (it's an item) that got me going that if a useless treasure is an option how lucky am I so early. And it don't make a difference much, since am still really struggling to obtain a better ship, regardless of the cash.

Btw, those outfits make half the fun for me, I've put some more models to the outfits and cuirass spots, so it adds some flavor and variation.

Isabella? The only time I've seen it is in a quest name with the Ccasar guy on Bermuda. I sense some interesting development.
Off-topic since you reminded me, I try to avoid spoilers, but how would one go about to find a cult, preferably with an early Roman theme I suppose. Among the generic ways to go about in the game I can't really think of anything and am stuck on that.

Isabella? The only time I've seen it is in a quest name with the Ccasar guy on Bermuda. I sense some interesting development.
Off-topic since you reminded me, I try to avoid spoilers, but how would one go about to find a cult, preferably with an early Roman theme I suppose. Among the generic ways to go about in the game I can't really think of anything and am stuck on that.

I won't spoil game secrets, "Isabella" is a LONG complicated and highly interesting story quest.
Most people never see the TRUE ending, and even then its not the end of the story by far as coded by Seward.ru
(I have started adding some additional quest dialogue options for those true hardcore veterans of the series).

I don't understand you question regarding about finding a "cult", as this is not reference to quests I am aware based on coding, and I know most of the the original quest logic script.
You will have to be more specific, and maybe I can elaborate.

Last edited:
There is a mumbling guy on Antigua, there was mentioning of some Sylla ( misspell? probably leader , some Julius , August there is a mention of plural also, so an organization). I am suppose to find a British guy, coincidentally, Austin. At first I thought it was smthing about seasons or months, but there was mentioning of Caesars so that's what I work with. I figured he might be a British reagent governor or just some random person, I am not making an effort to look for him exclusively.
Oh, it starts with people luring you and wanting to kill you, twice so far. I don't know if they are random, I know it happened in Panama in my former campaign, haven't been there in this one to check ( my last clue actually).
Thing is all the time you get decent clues through dialog or other, example when doing a governor random quest he will mention after a finished quest to make his place regular, which you actually have to for a LoM (I think).
This is the first thing illogical.
I am also looking for a way to reach out to the West T India Company, but that seemed logical enough.

I hope it is not that fringe. It is also the only thing I've seen that looks non-generic and does not have a log.

Regards

Eh? You are 3-4 and have 5-6 million at level 6? :8q I am at level 10 now, 3-4 and just recently made my 1st million. Those treasures were no more than $50,000 if that.

Isabella? I did not make it to Portobello in time and she is now fish food. I missed by 2 days.

Strange, those numbers, I am a lucky bastard then. It's the caskets , the third was just under 3 and a half alone, the fourth one was similar, first rather weak 200k approx. In the fourth there were some Dutch silver there 38 p a piece which I gave up on lugging. It actually took time to get it on board. You also get ambushed one the way back sometimes which is a riot.
I burned some with pleasure on the Sophie and the Flyut in Bermuda. Also I do the occasional smuggling this time, silver and slaves in the south and gold trade in the north.
Isabella sounds like a ship in your post Hylie and a person in a post above.xD

Isabella is a woman you fall for. Play the quest and you will see how it works out.

I just did another treasure quest. 4-5 now. The take was just over $20,000 and I carried the jewels all by meself easily. Got $60,000 for the cargo I was carrying. :nerbz

I am suppose to find a British guy, coincidentally, Austin.
Oh, it starts with people luring you and wanting to kill you, twice so far.

Regards

Ok, now I know what you are talking about regarding "cults".
This is definitely not a random feature its as tied to part of another quest, specifically the "Austin" quest.
This is one of the true hidden gems of CoAS, a rarely understood quest and normally not finished because there are NO logbook updates and multiple ways to break the quest even before you get started.
Personal encounters are NOT random, but may not happen immediately.
Good Luck and take physical notes, so far you seem to be on track.

Last edited:
Hylie those numbers got me thinking , so I did my 5th just to look, it was on Cuba, I was avoiding it till lvl 15 at least, already have the map. 104 caskets and 49 spanish gold.
I think we are speaking about different things, I suppose the only other thing could be when you join a captain after a proposal in a tavern. Haven't done those. Mine are just simple, buy map - go find treasure type of thing.
Granted it's my bad, the title is misleading and more appropriate for the captain venture.

Thanks TBK, good to know there is something to it.

That's the treasure quests I'm doing too. Buy the map and get the treasure. I did another one last night and lost money on it. $17,500 for the map and it was in Bermuda. Had to pay another $20,000 to unlock the door and got 55 gems and some trinkets for around $18,000.

The difference could be the difficulty level. Or something. :shrug

Really curious, I am on commodore, at least I think I am. What's yours? luck around 35. And Finally Success 9, thought I would need it.

Quite frankly gents I made the treasures large totally on purpose although you will still get some that are fairly worthless from time to time.

I did this for two reasons.

1) Noobs constantly complaining of how hard the game is and how hard it is to obtain cash and pay crews.

2) Fleet operations. If you only want to command one or two small ships then yeah the money is overkill. However, if you play like me with between five to seven 2nd or 3rd rate ships loaded with men, my monthly salaries for crews alone are 550,000 each pay period. Add to this that I like to upgrade my favorite ships regularly and that can easily blow 1.5 million on larger ships, and you run out of cash really quick.

On top of this when you have a huge bounty on your head and operate with a fleet, the commensurate encounters with bounty hunters, punitive fleets, and pirates mean that they will have fleets of 5 to 10 ships that are as powerful or greater than your own ships. After a fleet battle my repair bills often exceed half a million.

For my style of play I need lots of ready cash easily obtainable because I run out all the time. Thus the main reason....sorry if ya don't like it but I'm not changin it.

MK

Well it is a hard game sometimes. I wouldn't get a nice Bristol Merchantman earlier.
It is what I imagined late-game would look like, so it makes a lot of sense.
Didn't know that encounters grow proportionate to my fleet though, it must be a riot to move around.

Hylie, I knew there was something different.xD rather ironical that one would succesfully find a treasure and get in debt because of it. Interesting mod.

Back