• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Low Priority Treasure Quests: Potential "Required Item" Interference

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
@Grey Roger reminded me of the work I did to make the "required item" for Treasure Quests ALWAYS available for sale, regardless of their "minlevel".
This was to ensure you could always get a Spade or Pickaxe if you would need one.
After all, it would be rather silly to be able to get to where the treasure is buried, only to find that you cannot dig it up because you have no Spade. :facepalm

I know this was working fine, BUT @Levis recently rewrote the "required item" code so that it supports more than one at the same time for different quests.
But this may have broken this original use, so we should check to make sure what I describe above still works as well as it did before.

As far as I know I kept the original function in tact. Thats why I added attributes under it but the original attribute also stays.
So you should still be able to get the shovel or pickaxe when needed. Only problem which could occur is if you have a treasure quest but not yet have the item and then get another type of quest which requires you to have another item. Then only 1 of them would be aviable.
As this would at the moment be almost imposible I think for now this should work fine :).

As far as I know I kept the original function in tact. Thats why I added attributes under it but the original attribute also stays.
So you should still be able to get the shovel or pickaxe when needed. Only problem which could occur is if you have a treasure quest but not yet have the item and then get another type of quest which requires you to have another item. Then only 1 of them would be aviable.
As this would at the moment be almost imposible I think for now this should work fine :).
Could you post the related code? I remember you added the "required item" under a location ID now.
Which suggests to me that for it to work, the code would need to loop over all sub-attributes and make sure that ALL those required items are available.

@Levis: I think I understand now; you're adding the location-specific attribute IN ADDITION to the regular one that was already there.
So as long as the "main" treasure quest remains just that one treasure quest, it should work.

I think there may still be some interference though if you get your Indian Treasure Quest requiring a spade AND a regular one requiring a pickaxe.
Only one of those would be "enforced" to be available at the item traders, so you might have trouble with the other.

Seems like an unlikely scenario, but not an impossible one....

@Levis: I think I understand now; you're adding the location-specific attribute IN ADDITION to the regular one that was already there.
So as long as the "main" treasure quest remains just that one treasure quest, it should work.

I think there may still be some interference though if you get your Indian Treasure Quest requiring a spade AND a regular one requiring a pickaxe.
Only one of those would be "enforced" to be available at the item traders, so you might have trouble with the other.

Seems like an unlikely scenario, but not an impossible one....
True, but this way I didn't had to rewrite your part ;).
If you want to look into it be my guest If I remember right I also add the required item in pchar so you can just loop trough that.

If you want to look into it be my guest If I remember right I also add the required item in pchar so you can just loop trough that.
No, I don't want to. If I read it correctly, it isn't going to affect the general Treasure Quest, which is all I care about.

We can mark it as a Low Priority issue to be fixed whenever.

Pieter,
I have tried at least 5 treasure quests and have my luck on 9 and not yet found anything except empty chests - B14 4 18 Feb.
I think this has changed as I used to get one in 2 or three once you started to get your luck level up.

Any related errors mentioned in compile.log?

Also, did you do the Apothecary quest?

Uh ohh. I thought I was just being more unlucky than usual as I also have gone 0-5 in treasure quests. I did not do the apothecary quest.

Anything in compile.log when the quest is generated?

Actually, since apparently you CAN get new quests because you did multiple ones, apparently the actual system does work.
Otherwise the quest would likely never complete.

That indeed does suggest an incredible run of bad luck for you both.

You could use Cheat mode until you have Luck at 10 and then try some more.
Eventually you should get lucky then.

The reports on treasure quests go back and forth all the time without anyone ever touching the code.
That proves if is totally possible for incredible bad luck to occur.
Not intentionally; it is a random process. But that is how true random processes work.

Back