• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Poll Trinkets

what trinkets do you take most of?

• non useful items (Cormorant, shoes, censar, buckets, bowls)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ben Coats

Freebooter
just wondering what trinkets do ya'll usually collect after boarding actions, body searches, bounty hunters, caves/dungeons and so forth.

I like coins the best myself Ben. In my opinion there wasn't enough interesting loot to take, so for Eras I have added over 20 new weapons and 20 new items. Here's some screenshots to give you a sampling.

Actually it would be helpful if anybody had any new ideas on items they'd like to see added. I am not adding anymore new items after this week. I am adding an Astrolabe tonight that will increase navigation skill. I'm coding it as a book - but you will never know in the game. MK

start_130213_2026532.JPG
start_130213_1559409.JPG
start_130222_1838178.JPG
start_130227_1400179.JPG
start_130227_1402435.JPG
start_130227_1418200.JPG
start_130227_1643330.JPG
start_130222_1655224.JPG

very Cool MK, wish i knew how to do this stuff, i had to get BBGS (best buy geek squad) to get them to do the upgrade, from aopcoas to gof. i have no clue how to do that, which sux, cuz i have silent hunter 5 battle of the atlantic and it needs a real bad upgrade, cuz they didnt finish the game (smh). but they've added patches like aop/gof, but i dont know how to do it.

I thought I'd share my latest ITEM screen. I'm up to 25 now. Keep in mind that all other versions of GOF only have 16. There are 16 items per sheet!

I also added some of the old Carribean Tales weapons (the few good ones) and some POTC weapons as well. So a couple of these might be familiar to some of you. I am up to 70 different blades and 25 different pistol types. And....everything works in testing!

I have figured out how they implemented the pairs of pistols and braces of pistols in New Horizons. So guess what.....

Now we have pairs and braces of pistols in GOF Eras! MK

items25.jpg

Extremely expensive custom weapons are always nice. Maybe something that can be changed for each era. The pair of extra fancy early caplock/percussion double barreled rifled pistols from the Hornblower series comes to mind, as well as some kind of obscenely expensive breech-loading rifled carbine. Those would obviously only work in the late era. I won't even bother with suggestions of that sort for the earlier two eras, as you probably know more about that than I.

Extremely expensive custom weapons are always nice. Maybe something that can be changed for each era. The pair of extra fancy early caplock/percussion double barreled rifled pistols from the Hornblower series comes to mind, as well as some kind of obscenely expensive breech-loading rifled carbine. Those would obviously only work in the late era. I won't even bother with suggestions of that sort for the earlier two eras, as you probably know more about that than I.

You mean like this.....:rolleyes:

start_130301_0412004.JPG

There's a bunch of stuff like that in Eras. I want the player to continue to be surprised even when he's getting into higher levels. Some of the items won't even show up until you are between level 20 and 25.

Give me a list of things you would like to see as items in the late period and I will see what I can do.

MK

More "trinkets". These are all in GOF Eras module #2 as of now. Testing tonight to see if they all work. These are more than just trinkets. Many of the new items will add modified abilities like the books. Navigation, Gunnery(Accuracy/Cannon damage), Defense(medical), Insight, Authority, Luck, etc..... MK

items26 copy.jpg

I recognize some of those items, but was the diving helmet in use in that time frame?

You got me Hylie. :D

I expected it to be Post Captain that reeled me in though. No it was not in use yet. There are some obscure mentions of diving bells used in salvage during the 17th century, but not diving suits -(not until the next century). Also this particular diving helmet is from the early 20th century.

So here's my reasoning....

1. It's extremely rare and heavy - but valuable if you want to take it in to the trader.

2. You realize that the main quest of the game involves a diving suit with a helmet like this one. AND you have to fight giant crabs in it. SO....I thought I would throw in a little tongue in cheek fun with the helmet. You guys are gonna love all the writing that accompanies the new items. I actually had a lot of fun with it. For the helmet I make an off the cuff comment in the write up that I would hate to have to wear one of those things and would really hate to fight giant crabs in one. so....you get the joke.

Here's the last one. ITEMS27

Many of the new items give you an extra boost to an ability. Most are just new treasure, jewelry or minerals. The write ups are very creative though - if I do say so myself. The Guy Fawkes mask gives you +1 stealth. MK

items27a.jpg

Well, since I spent a good part of my misspent youth in and under the water it seems I have a little knowledge of those things. I also have a vague memory of a rendering of a diving bell where it was lowered down and then the divers would go into it to grab some air and then go out about their business. Don't know the time frame though.

Guy Fawkes? V for Vendetta! The last item is familiar. Guess what I got for a recent Birthday? :pirate07:

I expected it to be Post Captain that reeled me in though.

Nah. As long as it didn't float and have sails, you could could add a laptop computer and I wouldn't mind. :p

As for the late period items: The only really important things I can think of that wouldn't be present earlier are a range of chronometers. Really nice accurate ones could get quite expensive.

Much of the other era-specific stuff that isn't already there would need modelling. (swords, guns, etc.)
I can check on the progress of a few HoO weapons and see if their creators want to throw them in here. We do have one very good sword, but it isn't quite finished.

@Hylie, I love that movie too! The write up for the mask starts with "Remember remember the 5th of November"

@PC, I already have some good stuff I'm saving for the late mod that isn't in Module2. The more the better. Obviously I'm not going to take as much time with it as I have with Mod2(over a year), because I'm not as particular about it.

Good news is that all the new trinkets are showing up where you would expect them too in testing. I do need to make some additional adjustments on the ability modifier code - but it is working! MK
start_130306_0002239.JPG

start_130306_0110326.JPG
start_130306_0110445.JPG
start_130306_0110484.JPG
start_130306_0113143.JPG

Edit: Oh and we musn't forget the old shoe being replaced by old boots. Makes much more sense. Boots were something you take from the dead - even crappy ones. LOL

start_130306_0002452.JPG

You seem awfully excited about that chamber pot. :p That being said, I do love the idea.

I just think it's amusing is all. :p

You know that no one picks up the cormorant or the shoe. They were just annoying. I have replaced/added some items that are still annoying but make more sense and have some minor value. Plus my write-ups are way more entertaining I think.

I believe players are way more likely to pick up old boots, chamber pot, half-eaten meat, and filthy rags - then they are to pick up cormorant and old shoe.

My whole purpose in revamping completely all the items in the game is to make hunting for items and looting a much more interesting and rewarding experience. I think player's attention spans will be held for much longer because they will have no idea of what new things they will uncover in the next ship, cave, dungeon, or chest. I know I am enjoying testing it more than ever before.
MK

I definitely agree with your motives. And adding stuff like a chamber pot increases realism, too. You're probably much more likely to find a chamber pot in the cabin of a small sloop than a dead bird.

I am happy to report that almost everything has now shown up. Only two items have not yet been seen in testing. Here's some pics of the latest.

I just love the automatic name generator. Sometimes you get some really funny ones. Look at the guy above Captain Red Legs Greaves in the last picture. LOL

MKstart_130320_1914213.JPGstart_130320_1914334.JPGstart_130327_1814038.JPGstart_130327_1814077.JPGstart_130327_2326228.JPGstart_130328_1620506.JPGstart_130328_1620537.JPGstart_130330_1024305.JPG
start_130330_1025469.JPG

seriously needs some work on 1 thing, i took a Le Superbe class 2, and just took a class 1 Soleil Royal, and now in my ship status i only have 1 ship and cant go to swap stuff or swap the royal back to my Superbe to put in shipyard cuz im 80% thru with morgans's quest. <----NM (nevermind) i figured it out, i know i hadnt sold Superbe, but i couldnt find it, and thought i had a bug, but turns out i had stored it @ Nevis Port Control.
:facepalm

start2013-03-3010-39-07-22_zpsa25f7222.jpg

start2013-03-3010-55-52-80_zpsf79524f8.jpg

I am happy to report that almost everything has now shown up. Only two items have not yet been seen in testing. Here's some pics of the latest.

I just love the automatic name generator. Sometimes you get some really funny ones. Look at the guy above Captain Red Legs Greaves in the last picture. LOL

MKView attachment 10453View attachment 10454View attachment 10455View attachment 10456View attachment 10457View attachment 10458View attachment 10459View attachment 10460View attachment 10461

Half Eaten Meat??? That's hilarious. "Shall we take a bite?" You kill me MK

What other suprises do youu have for us i'm wondering

Back