• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Troubleshooting Game

Tuckerbutter

Landlubber
Hey gang. I'm having a heck of a time trying to get POTC to work on my laptop. The specs are the following:

Alienware M11XR2
Windows Ultimate 7 64bit OS
Intel Core i7 1.2 Ghz
8GB Ram
NIVIDA GeForce GT335M

I had ordered the game, but then got antsy and downloaded a shared copy. I was having the problem where it would crash to the desktop upon starting a new game citing the Engine.exe problem. Then I downloaded Build 13 Final but couldn't get past the character selection screen where it would crash again with the Engine.exe problem. I finally got my copy, decided to see if that would help. I downloaded build 14.5 and the shader program. I've got everything in the right place but now am having a different error coming up, Run Time Error, abnormal program termination. Any suggestions? I know that this has been gone over and I have been diligent in trying to learn from everyone else but something else is going on here with my particular system that I am just not sure of.

Obviously, I love this game...and have been jonesing to play it for YEARS and finally got it for PC. Recently completeing a class on Amercian Colonialism didn't help the need to play this game either!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty computer savy with detailed directions but hesitate to try and problem solve on my own without risking hurting my system, which is awesome!!

:gday

What jumps out at me is the shader. Are you talking about Swiftshader? That is for use with built in Intel graphics, and you really don't want to be doing that matey. :j2 Also, where did you install it? Installing PotC in program files causes big problems. Anywhere else is better.

:gday

What jumps out at me is the shader. Are you talking about Swiftshader? That is for use with built in Intel graphics, and you really don't want to be doing that matey. :j2 Also, where did you install it? Installing PotC in program files causes big problems. Anywhere else is better.

Ahh, well I put in teh Swiftshader as that seemed to be the answer to the original problem with the game crashing immediately upon entry into gameplay after Character selection. I placed the two file in the game folder. The Game folder is C:\Games\BethesdaSoftworks, as suggested I placed it outside the program folders.

Recommended to install WITHOUT any of the additional options at first try.
Install SwiftShader seperately if the game doesn't run at all. Install ENB if the game runs VERY smoothly.

I did install and attempted to play without any add ons, got me the engine.exe failure to desktop when new game was selected. Added in the Mod as a way to help with fixes...I am now getting a run time error immediately when launching the game, as in less than a second. I have no idea what the problem could be now as this worked with a ripped version of the game but won't with the version I bought. I know there is a fix to this...and what does ENB stand for please?

I had to jump through hoops when I first got this game. I had to set my DEP to allow it to run. I also had to make an exception in ffdshow. I didn't know I had ffdshow installed. :modding

I did install and attempted to play without any add ons, got me the engine.exe failure to desktop when new game was selected. Added in the Mod as a way to help with fixes...I am now getting a run time error immediately when launching the game, as in less than a second. I have no idea what the problem could be now as this worked with a ripped version of the game but won't with the version I bought. I know there is a fix to this...and what does ENB stand for please?

I also removed the Swiftshader and I'm still getting the runtime error. Ok..I have added the the engine.exe to the DEP exceptions list. Lets see what happens!

OK No Go. Still getting the same run time error. Just noticed that the top of the error message says Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library...RunTime Error! Program C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\ENGINE.exe...abnormal program termination

Ok, I just found another thread about this. This is very common when first starting out. Did you run the rename.bat?

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/16927-runtime-error-engineexe/

Ok, I just found another thread about this. This is very common when first starting out. Did you run the rename.bat?

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/16927-runtime-error-engineexe/

Okay,
I got a error log saying the following:

COMPILE ERROR - file: seadogs.c; line: 33
can't load file: sound\alias.c

And the following for system log error:

Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
Creating atoms space: 128
done
initializing complete
User Rised Exception
C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\ENGINE\SOURCES\Core.cpp line 526
fail to create program

I have not a clue and YES I did run rename.bat when I put on patch 5 for build 14 Beta....hmmmm.

I did a search for C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\ENGINE\SOURCES\ and found someone else who had the same problem as you. I ran across this same problem meself some months ago but don't remember what I did.

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/16989-runtime-error/page__view__findpost__p__384909__hl__c%3A%26%23092%3Bprojects%26%23092%3Bdrive_v2%26%23092%3Bengine%26%23092%3Bsources%26%23092%3B__fromsearch__1

I did a search for C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\ENGINE\SOURCES\ and found someone else who had the same problem as you. I ran across this same problem meself some months ago but don't remember what I did.

http://forum.piratesahoy.net/index.php/topic/16989-runtime-error/page__view__findpost__p__384909__hl__c%3A%26%23092%3Bprojects%26%23092%3Bdrive_v2%26%23092%3Bengine%26%23092%3Bsources%26%23092%3B__fromsearch__1

Ok, the game DID NOT WORK prior to adding the build, as noted in my initial post. EVERYONE"s response was to add a build to fix the CTD. So I have two questions, 1. How do I uninstall the modpack, and 2. should i try to get the game to work before adding any mods to it and how do I do that?

Probably your best bet at this point would be to delete your PotC folder and start over by installing the vanilla game. Verify that it works, then install the mod. PotC is self contained so there is nothing else to delete besides its folder.

Rock on!! I deleted and did a fresh install and whammo...damn thing worked unmodded with the ffshadow. I then added Build 14 full, ran the .bat. Added Build 14 patch 5 and ran the .bat file. Still working!! Yippie!! Don't know why it took it several reinstalls, super annoying but glad its working...except now I have a bug LMAO! I will post it in the build bug section after making sure no one else had the same issue. While I cooled my heels before attempting to reinstall the game I did download and get AOP and AOP II. Gotta keep the pirate stock going. I also saw POTC 4 preview today when I took my kid to see Rango, looks hilarious, Gotta love that Jack Sparrow! Thanks again for your help boys! Cheers.

Back