• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Not a Bug Turks Island performance issues

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
I decided to see about dealing with pirates and for $84,000 I got a -30 relationship with them.

Went to Nevis and Skull didn't try to kill me and I loaded up the ship from the store, so that went well.

San Salvador (Turks) was a different story. First off, something about that island kills my computer. 1 frame per second is no joke. :rumgone Once I landed all went well and I traded just fine. Then on the way out one fool attacked us and one of my officers struck a bystander, which started a melee. This melee lasted all the way through town and to the ship. Shouldn't that have stopped when we went into the next section of town?

So I sailed to Nevis and thankfully they were still friendly there. There was a time when they would have been hostile too.

Character AI groups have been messed up for a long time.
Based on the original game behaviour, the melee should have continued in other locations too.
But indeed that usually doesn't happen anymore.

That frame rate thing is quite bizarre. Surely you've been on Turks before with issues?
Do you have an excessive amount of .log entries?

I have been to Turks for treasure quests only and never had the big fps hit I did last night both coming and going. Dunno what caused it.

The .log size varies with the length of the game session. Right now they are pretty short but there have been times when they are so long it seems to take minutes to go through them.

My main concern is that they ate huge and the actual writing of them slows down your game.
I have had that happen before at some point.

I do not think that is the problem at all or else this would always have been a problem. I spent some time today playing 3.3 and frame rates are far far higher and I could not see the stuttering and hanging at all.

This problem is restricted to 3.5 only.

One game and one visit to Turks only, from what you said.
There are people who recently played the Turks Help sidequest.
If there was a huge consistent problem, they should have said so.

You can try a new game on your Beta 3.5 version, go to Turks and see if the problem occurs again.
If it does, do the same in Beta 3.4.

Right now we have zero clue on where this comes from or where and when it started to become a problem.
An inconsistent problem that cannot be replicated or narrowed down also cannot be fixed.

I just reported that to see if anyone else has troubles there. If no one else does then this is just further proof of the incompatibility between my computer and beta 3.4-3.5. POTC 3.3 gets a good 20fps better frame rates in similar conditions. I have been and continue to work on my hardware and in fact all other games old and new play better than ever, but something in this latest version of POTC is just killing it. Maybe Levis knows what is happening, but until this gets fixed I am having a very hard time play testing.

I just did a sail by of Turks and all was normal. I really do not know what caused the problems yesterday but it seems to be gone now.

All I can suggest is for you to try the Beta 3.3 no Lag file series I made for you again.
One of those files introduces the problem or it happens between the last one and the Beta 3.4.

That is the only way to possibly narrow this down.
And if it is indeed a consistent problem relayed to a specific change made, that will work.
But we tried just that before and it led nowhere.

Yes I tried them before and it got better. Then it got worse on its own. That is what makes it hard to track this down. The problem gets better and worse from day to day. Today 3.5 is running almost as well as 3.3 but yesterday it was barely running at all.

Back