• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Two questions about the Flying Dutchman

Legendary_Spider

Why is the rum always gone?
2D Artist
Provisional
Storm Modder
:gday

1. Why doesn't the Dutchman have any crew on her deck?

2. Why does the Dutchman have no stern chasers?

As always thanks for your time.

:onya

1. Because no-one has made a walk file for her yet. I might do some time, when I get a chance. ;)
  2. Because the movie version doesn't have any. :razz The same would apply to the Pearl, but both stern and bow chasers were added for gameplay reasons. However, the Dutchman does have triple guns on the bow...

Actually, I partly deliberately had no crew on the Dutchman because she's a cursed ship so uncursed crew on the deck might look a bit odd...

Yeah I guess there's nothing that would work for fish people. lol

I'm glad bow and stern chasers were added to the Pearl. I hope those are never removed.

I know it's impossible for the game, but wouldn't it be cool if the Dutchman could go underwater? XD

Ah yes. Who was it said "Instead of the Flying Dutchman we could have the Submerging Scotsman."?

Oh yeah, I think "Submerging Scotsman" was Pieter's way of giving the Dutchman a more 'accurate' name. :rofl

I'm not sure it is impossible, actually. However, there are a few nasty side effects you might get from trying to sail underwater, like camera issues and such. :facepalm

Well, you could keep the camera above the water and maybe have an indicator pointing to where the ship is. Or possibly use the Dutchman's submerging capability to "warp". For example, say there's a ship on the horizon. You could submerge before you're spotted and "warp" to it sorta like the "sail to" option. Then once you select the ship, you pop out of the water, scare the crap out of the guy, and blow him to kingdom come. lol Or even possibly have it so you can manually choose where you want the ship to pop up. Once selected, the diving and re-surfacing process would be automatic. Not player controlled. It's something that could be utilized for stealth. Idk. Dumb idea I guess. :shrug

Just thought I'd out it out there. :will

There's no such thing as a dumb idea. :no
It probably wouldn't be possible for the player to manually select a destination, but using a 'Sail To' style option would work.
Perhaps we could disable Sail To for all ships except the Dutchman, even if we can't make it submerge and re-emerge properly.

I know we can change the waterline of a ship, potentially even at sea, so it's possible to submerge the Dutchman in theory.
However, the whole thing might not look very good, because the ship would simply lower vertically, rather than actually diving nose first.
Although, I have seen a way that ships can be forced to capsize, which obviously involves changing the side-to-side roll angle, so perhaps the forward-backward angle could also be adjusted in a similar way.
If that were combined with simultaneously lowering the ship's waterline, it might simulate diving. I'm not sure how easy that would be, but in theory it might be possible. :shrug

OMG Do you know how awesome that would be? :woot
Someone should experiment with it sometime. I would if I knew how. If it worked, it would be so much fun. :cheeky
I can see it now . . . sigh . . . maybe someday it would be a reality. All the fans of the game would be stoked.

I put in the capsizing code and I could only make that work IF I actually sink the ship. So rather than submerging the Dutchman, we'd have to genuinely sink her.
Of course it should be possible to then prevent the adverse affects of doing that and return the player to the game; but still.... :?

Surely there must be another way to force it to 'dive' without actually sinking (I know, that defies all logic except for submarines)...
What about in a similar fashion to the Abilities (e.g. 180 degree turn, etc)? :shrug

Then perhaps that needs some exploration. :keith
New abilites were added in the mod, so I guess there is a way of doing something like this for the Dutchman.

Hmmm Never thought of making it an ability. I keep wondering if doing something like the "sail to" option would work better though.
huhh.gif

The idea I had was: 1. Pick a target. 2. Get the Dutchman to dive nose first somehow. 3. Instantly warp to the selected target. 4. Somehow get the Dutchman to launch out of the water nose first.

Hmmm Never thought of making it an ability. I keep wondering if doing something like the "sail to" option would work better though.
huhh.gif

The idea I had was: 1. Pick a target. 2. Get the Dutchman to dive nose first somehow. 3. Instantly warp to the selected target. 4. Somehow get the Dutchman to launch out of the water nose first.
Well if we ever were to make it work, it probably would be made as a 'special' ability unique the the cursed Dutchman, which allows this 'Sail To' type function. ;)

She already does. We can set the best point of sail for each ship individually. :yes

Not in arcade mode. Point her into the wind and she slows down like the rest of them.
dunno.gif

Back