• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP UI Layout and Xbox 360 Controller Support

Ovro

HoO Team Member
Music and SFX
I feel like now is my time to contribute. I'll be looking to overhaul the user interface in a much more stylish manner. Making it more pleasing on the eye. Giving it a modern gaming menu look. Whilst making sure it isn't sluggish.

I shall post updates here.

On another note- I shall also be attempting to add 360 Controller support. Along with the icons in-game and a simple tutorial at the start to get you going.

The UI and Xbox Control Support, will go hand in hand with each other. But that doesn't mean you'll need a controller to enjoy the UI.

If you'd like to contribute- given that I'm not entirely knowledgeable with the storm engine yet and any help would be massively appreciated; please leave a post, detailing what you can offer.

Sounds interesting. Isn't it a bit of a large project to start out with? I always recommend to begin with something simple.

V9W1af5.jpg

What do you think of that?

Truth is.. I'd like the background to be the actual game, and the menu will open as an overlay. Infact... 2 seconds.

That is.... uhm.... different. :shock

I doubt that'll be easily accomplished. Transparent interface backgrounds tend to act a bit weird in the game.
I've seen them turn characters inside-out.

Aha, obviously I'd like to make it look more slick and stylish. But yes, it hopefully will be different. :p

I'm so fed up of the font and layout of the current menus. :p
And it's noones fault, it's just recent bethesda games have nicer looking UIs.

Personally I quite like old-fashioned. But anyway, see what you can do!

Though I'm not sure if it is a good idea to change too much while we're still messing around with the files on a semi-daily basis.
But you can experiment on what is possible at the very least. :yes

Sweet, well I'll have a configuration file uploaded shortly for the xbox controller support. I'll map everything out, but I have to figure out how icons with the buttons are going to pop up in the game yet. But that can wait. Atleast having some kind of controller support will make a lot of people happy. And I'll feel like I've contributed. ;)

Ayup! That sure is different and would need to be tested in game. How will it scroll up and down?

wow, I'm following this topic, this seems really cool...

This sounds like an interesting project. Such a drastic UI change would probably take a lot of getting used to, but modernisation might be a good thing.
Have you looked into the interface code and textures, yet? I'd recommend doing so to get a feel for how things currently work.

Actually, this would go hand-in-hand with making the UI widescreen-friendly, which is something we've been talking about for a while.
See this thread for my notes on this, based on some quick tests a while back.
So in a way, your work on the UI could save me quite a lot of time and effort. :cheeky

Yes, I've been going through loads of code, trying to get my head around it.
I've only modded for Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, so not overly experienced. But I'm sure with a little bit of reading and a few good hours of work, I'll have something done.

Now, I need suggestions on how people would like the XBOX Controller mapped out.
Which button will do what?
Shoot. :p

Have you checked through the unused Xbox controls from the original game? They're in PROGRAM\CONTROLS\init_xbox.c (but we've never figured out how to activate them).
If you can make sense of those, it would be a good starting point. :)

Now, I need suggestions on how people would like the XBOX Controller mapped out.
Which button will do what?
Did you manage to make the game accept the XBOX controller input already? That'd be a massive first step in the right direction! :cheers

Figured out how to activate them...

Unfortunately, it's for an original xbox controller. So I'm recoding it slightly.

Also something to consider, maybe you should wait and code it to an Xbox One controller since that's going to be coming out pretty soon and it has the same controls pretty much as the xbox and xbox 360.

Besides the rumble-triggers, the Xbox One controller isn't any different though, is it? I'm not sure there will be PC support for it at launch either, but I might be wrong.

Back