• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unique locations

Peter Blood

Privateer
I was wondering how we were planning on tackling certain locations in-game. I had some ideas for some, but others just seem to hard or difficult, even if we work with what we have. Here are the ones we should be thinking about. If anyone is interested on my ideas on some of them, just let me know.

1: Singapore....... we don't have any Asian city skins or Venice-like areas. We could take the Isla Muelle Trade Square and fill it with water allowing you to only walk on the causeways and the upper levels. This would most definitely be temporary location.

2: Isla Pelegastos....... An easier possibility, but still potentially challenging. We may be able to use the Bridge, as that visual of Jack running across the bridge is how most people remember the island. The Indian camp is another story though. This would most likely be coded in the same manner as Isla de Meurta or Mona/Petit Tabac.

3: Isla Cruces......Still fairly simple. It could be built around two areas, A standard beach where the DMC is, and the lighthouse location to use as the mill/church from the film. The duel on the wheel may be hard though. We could just use clips from the movie. Again, this would probably be coded in the same manner as I stated above.

4: Whitecap bay......Probably just a temporary location using the lighthouse.

5: The Fountain of Youth......I have no idea. The waterfall could be integrated though somehow.

6: London....Just a temporary location reskinned of Redmond.

7: Davy Jones' Locker.......I have no idea how to do this one. Maybe just the shipwreck beach or Octopus Bay.

8: Shipwreck Cove.....This seems nearly impossible. This location is very unique (it would be nice to add this island in on all of the storylines as the pirate capital)

Well, there you are, my ideas. Feel free to use them, but if anyone has a better idea for these islands, just post here, savvy?

Hi,

I'll work with you on this......maybe borrow some locations permanently from other games & alter them to our taste :piratesahoy!

1. I already did some tests with flooding that Isla Muelle location and it does work. Then in the AoP locations, the store looks quite Chinese-like.
So my thought would be to take Isla Muelle town, flood it and copy some of those store-buildings on top of what's already there, then retexture it to look more Chinese.

2. There's a location model somewhere in CoAS I think that has the bridge joined directly with the shore, so that'd allow for the scene of Jack running with the Indians behind them.
The actual Indian town would be a different story, but if we don't try to be movie-accurate, we should be able to fake it with some huts.
In fact, I think Bartolomeu already did something similar in his storyline somewhere.

3. Enable cheatmode, start the Jack Sparrow storyline and go into the Tortuga tavern. There's a new character sitting at a table called "Random Drunk".
Talking to him, allows you to skip to various parts of the game. Select this option: "How about that church on Isla Cruces? Let me see it!"
This will instantly teleport you to the location we have already devised for it. It's not film-accurate, but it gets the point accross.
This not being an action game, I think we can forget about that water wheel fight altogether.

4. Can't be too difficult basing this on the Lighthouse location. Might be as simple as just retexturing it to be more stone-y than sandy.

5. The Isla de Muerte cave location should offer possibilities. We'll probably have to simplify, but maybe we could copy the fountain from the Tortuga town square there.

6. Redmond sounds like it'd work quite fine. Too bad it wouldn't look unique European, but that's the limitations we have to work with.

7. My idea for this one is really very simple. We take a deck location, remove the sea and put a desert around it instead.
This can't possibly take much effort on the part of any modelers, but still requires someone to do it. SuperDurnius had done some work on this in the past, but never released it.
Reason being apparently that they were still working on a film-accurate Black Pearl deck location.
But truth be told, I'll happily settle for something that just gets the point accross without being accurate.

8. CoAS' City of Abandoned Ships location model is begging to be used for this one! :razz

The city of Abandoned ships model should work out great, even though it is not built on top of the other ships and is more spread out, it would still get the point across. I forgot about some others though.

Pantano River: We could flood one of our three jungle house locations and place it somewhere on Cuba, but we would need to figure out where.

Florida Jungles: I know we have a lot of jungle locations, but the thing about the jungles from POTC, is that they are not really jungles, they are just pathways with palm trees on the side. We need something that looks like a dense jungle with cliffs and pools.

Santiago: Ponce de Leon's shipwreck would be fairly hard to do, both on the outside and the inside. The outside, we would have to find a way to suspend a ship onto a cliff, and the inside would have to be dark, woody, and rotten.

Kracken Island: I honestly have no idea how we would get the Kracken washed up on a beach, let alone carry about doing the island. (note: I also think we could have handled rumrunners island a little bit better and film accurate)

We can flood any location, so that isn't much of a problem.

Making dense jungles can be done by taking the existing jungle locations and just adding more palm trees, like is already done on some of the added islands.

Putting a ship anywhere on a location isn't much of a problem. But do we have a usable cliff?

Nice! I really like the Jungle Church! All we should do now is add a mill wheel on the side and change the inside (perhaps it would be better if the inside was the Oxbay Lighthouse so it could be like a belfry from the movie. Can someone maybe give new dialog to the random drunk that could transport you to Shipwreck Cove? That doesen't seem like it would be much work.

There IS no Shipwreck Cove in the game yet. Adding the dialog option: easy. Adding the location: not so easy.
Still not overly difficult either.

I know that it isn't in the game yet. All I suggested was adding the COAS location into the game, and being transported there through that dialog.

Or we could just force everything on Magee. xD: Last time I checked, he had a lot of time on his hands. :razz (Its hard to use sarcasm over the computer, :facepalm)

PROGRAM\ISLANDS\islands.c in the FindIslandName function.
Find this:
Code:
*/			case "Turks":
switch(GetCurrentPeriod())
{
case PERIOD_EARLY_EXPLORERS:		ret = "San Salvador"; break;
case PERIOD_THE_SPANISH_MAIN:		ret = "San Salvador"; break;
ret = "Turks";
}
break;
Replace with:
Code:
*/			case "Turks":
ret = "New Providence";
break;
Then PROGRAM\Towns\Towntable.c find:
Code:
/*			case "Grand Turk":
ret = "Grand Turk";
break;
*/			case "Grand Cayman":
Replace with:
Code:
			case "Grand Turk":
ret = "Nassau";
break;
case "Grand Cayman":

Depends on what other people think.

Also, should the island or town have different names in different time periods?
Not to mention that while this method does rename it in most instances, there's a good chance that quest dialog and questbook files do not use the proper coding and therefore wouldn't be automatically be renamed by doing this.

Two other locations to consider.

The Sandbar: I know Bartolomeu worked on some skin of this, but I don't know if he ever finished it. We probably need something a little more realistic.

Turkish Prison: We could easily use the Eleuthera fort location with the prison at the bottom. We could get rid of the palm trees and grass and make it pure rock.

Plenty ideas. As usual, needs somebody to do it. AAAAND write the remainder of the Jack Sparrow storyline.

Another option for Singapore would be that Age of Pirates/CoAS town location with the waterfall and the bridges over that little river. I believe it was used as the Trinidad/Tabago town in COAS. If we give it the Asian roofs, we may have Singapore (Or, we could have two Singpore locations, the port and the town, this one being the port, and flooded Isla Muelle being the standard town and put the bathouse through those slightly opened doors at the end)

Back