• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unique Ship Cannons not Firing AND Vanderdecken Buyable Steamships

Sorry to bother you with the accursed cannons on the accursed ships again, but I've realised that it's not just me who is unable to fire all of them.
I have just encountered the Black Pearl in the 'Deliver a closed chest' part of the standard storyline, and it STILL only fires one gun- at first I thought it was only a warning shot! :modding

So I'm guessing it's a problem with the models of the Pearl and Dutchman themselves? (just for me, it seems :razz)
Could it be that something didn't install correctly?

PS: I've realised that a different cannon fires each time, if that means anything. :shrug

Im using the Black Pearl pretty much all the time Im testing (seeing how Im doing the Jack Sparrow storyline)...

In my game, it fires every cannon, but I dont see why it would be different for your game :no

It does sound very bizarre. You can try reinstalling the game and the modpack and see what gives. :facepalm
Save your savegames though; you might want to reuse them.

OK, I'll give it a go. (If this doesn't work then I MUST be cursed :cheeky)

EDIT:
Um, there doesn't seem to be an option to uninstall it (in Control Panel, Programs and Features, I click PotC and Uninstall/Change and nothing happens)
I guess deleting it might work...?

Yep; delete and then stick the CDs back in.
Personally, I never use the CDs anymore. I just took the installed folder and stuck that on an external HD as backup.
That works real nicely. :cheeky

Yep; delete and then stick the CDs back in.
Personally, I never use the CDs anymore. I just took the installed folder and stuck that on an external HD as backup.
That works real nicely. :cheeky
Sounds like a good idea, I might try that (I have an external HD I use for backing up old files- there's loads of space left).
OK I've deleted it and am re-installing now.

Well... that was a waste of time; still not firing all cannons- I must be cursed...
Even more now than before- the graphics look a bit... bad, now, even with Texture Quality set to high- it wasn't like this before I re-installed. :(
I've taken a screenshot to demonstrate. Not sure what I've done wrong- I re-installed it exactly as before...

PS: should I consider the ENB enhanced graphics option? (do you know what the minimum specs are?)

EDIT: Removed screenshot to save upload quota. :facepalm

Uh? What the *** happened there???

ENB works pretty smoothly on my new laptop, but I'm not sure of the minimum requirements for it working properly.
What's your system specs?

My system specs are as follows:

Vista Home Premium 32 bit with SP 2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 4200+ with 2GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO graphics card

Hmm... it's worth a try, I suppose. :shrug
Make note of the files that are added when installing it.
If it doesn't work, remove those files again.
Some time, we'll add a proper deinstaller.

OK I've installed ENB and it works wonderfully- no problems (yet).

I'm still annoyed about those damned cannons, though- any ideas about which files would affect whether they fire or not??
If so, could you tell me what to look for? :mm (I'm determined to solve this :cheeky )

My first recommendation would be to take the copy you made of the original game, install Build 13 on it,
then open PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h and change one of the starting ship options to "theBlackPearl" .
You can then check if it DOES work in Build 13. That might at least give us some clue.

Other than that, there's two things that have to do with the ships' cannons:
The locators contained in the GM model files and the number of cannons set in PROGRAM\Ships\ships_init.c .

My first recommendation would be to take the copy you made of the original game, install Build 13 on it,
then open PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h and change one of the starting ship options to "theBlackPearl" .
You can then check if it DOES work in Build 13. That might at least give us some clue.
OK I'll give that a go and let you know what happens ASAP.

EDIT:
Oh dear- the game won't even start with Build 13- or EVEN just the stock game!
It shows the loading screen as usual, but then minimizes the screen, and won't maximize it again! :modding
I've tried running as Administrator, running with XP compatibility, different screen resolutions etc- still won't run correctly.
I'm telling you- I'M CURSED!

Minimizes the screen? Bizarre, that one! But there's a remedy that'll hopefully work.
Open engine.ini and set full_screen = 0 and screen_x and screen_y to your desktop resolution.
Now, when the game ends up minimized, you can get back into the game without a problem.
You can also Alt+Tab and use the Windows/Start Menu key and return to the game still.

The fact that you said it shoots from different cannons each time makes me think it would be a cannon number problem... so PROGRAM/Ships/ships_init.c

However there is like 3 or more Pearls that it might be (cursed, uncursed and normal)

Right, finally some good news:
1) I fixed the minimizing problem with Pieter's advice :onya
2) Ship model 'theBlackPearl' fires ALL cannons in Build 13
--GOOD NEWS ENDS HERE--

QUOTE: Captain Maggee
However there is like 3 or more Pearls that it might be (cursed, uncursed and normal)

Only one cannon fires for ALL variants of the Pearl and Dutchman in Build 14... which is strange. :?
I'd need to check the ships_init file in Build 14- I assume it would be the 'CannonsQuantity' line?

Ok that is really really really bizarre then :facepalm

Cause like I said I use the Pearl all the time and its fine for me :yes

Yep that is the line

There's a bunch of things that you can try:

1. Put attached console.c file in your PROGRAM folder, start a new game, go into any port and press F12.
You will now be given a fully crewed and fully supplied "BlackPearl", have all your skills and abilities maxed out and get a bunch of officers.
Now go to sea and try to fire the cannons. Try manual firing from your deck using the [V]-key,
but try also automated firing when there's enemies near by using [Spacebar].
If the cannons still don't fire properly in either manual or automated fire,
then it's not a gameplay issue and it's either in the code or the model file.

2. To check the code, open PROGRAM\Ships\ships_init.c and find these three lines for the BlackPearl:
Code:
	refShip.CannonsQuantity		= 36;
refShip.Cannons.Borts.cannonf.qty	= 2;
refShip.Cannons.Borts.cannonb.qty	= 2;
The first line is the total number of cannons, the other two lines are the cannons placed forward and aft respectively.

3. To check the model file, try using the GM Viewer with "Show labels" and "Show locators" enabled to view the BlackPearl's main model file.
There should be a whole bunch of "_##" (where ## is a two-digit number) locators at the spots of the cannons.

3. You can also try taking the "theBlackPearl" model files from Build 13, rename them all to "BlackPearl" and put them in your Build 14 installation.
Then check if the cannons of the Pearl now DO fire. That'd check if the cannons not firing is a model issue or not.

OK I'll try those suggestions and update you soon.

Back