• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Unique Ship Cannons not Firing AND Vanderdecken Buyable Steamships

From what I can tell, the ships experiencing this issue are (named as per the buy interface when dealing with Vanderdecken) "Cursed Caravel, Cursed Pearl, Cursed Galleon, Ghost Galleon, Cursed Corvette". All of which are, notably, "magical" ships, and all of which have excessive amounts of hull/sail in comparison with their mundane counterparts.

The steamships work fine, as does the Mefisto (at least, according to my testing).

Can you put that ships.c file I posted in your game and check if the problem is solved after that? It should be...
See here: http://forum.piratesahoy.net//topic/16140-unique-ship-cannons-not-firing-and-vanderdecken-buyable-steamships/page__view__findpost__p__371364

I think the proper way to fix this is to:

1. Use the code in this post of mine:
http://forum.piratesahoy.net//topic/16140-unique-ship-cannons-not-firing-and-vanderdecken-buyable-steamships/page__view__findpost__p__371372
This seems to take care of the cannon fire problem.

The Build 14 Beta 1 Full file I posted also works, though this code I posted is a bit cleaner
and takes care of some potential "missed attribute" errors with "unique" upgraded ships.
It doesn't improve matters in the game, but just makes the error.log smaller. :facepalm

2. The errors with applying upgrades to "unique" ships seem to be related to missing attributes in case of these ships.
The solution should be in KB_routines.c in such a way to make the game load the attributes from the ship type itself,
if the attribute is not with the character. I'll look into this some other time; too tired right now...

Two things:

1) Sorry about my lack of knowledge of the REAL Flying Dutchman of myths, not films (the 'Submerging Scotsman' does sound more fitting... :rofl )

2) I have used the new Ships.c file and have FINALLY got a full broadside from the offending ships! :woot

1) Sorry about my lack of knowledge of the REAL Flying Dutchman of myths, not films (the 'Submerging Scotsman' does sound more fitting... :rofl )
No problem, mate. You're not exactly the only one. For centuries, the myth has been like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Dutchman
Now in the span of a few years because of some serious confusion in an otherwise fair (though somewhat misguided) movie,
the "popular held belief" on the subject has completely changed to something that's... well, not quite right. :rofl

2) I have used the new Ships.c file and have FINALLY got a full broadside from the offending ships! :woot
Thanks for confirming that! So that's the MAIN problem sorted, right?
Now we just need to tackle that evil "unique" being upgraded issue! :boom

Indeed, those ships are evil by not upgrading properly- curse them! (Oops, a bit late for that, isn't it? :cheeky )

But the ironic thing is, some of these 'unique' ships don't even NEED upgrading, because they're so damned good in the first place!

PS: Thanks for clearing things up with the Dutchman- it's actually very interesting (and far more credible than sailing underwater!)

I dont know why the steamships have the unique line of code (Im pretty sure I didnt put it in :facepalm)

Might have been someone else who was editing the ships_init.c and I didnt pay enough attention to the merge :modding

Ok, now I'm totally confused. If I add the Dutchman via the console, along with crew/officers/ammo, it works fine, and I get a nice broadside. However, if I buy it from Vanderdecken (same save), and buy crew/ammo myself (admittedly, not with a full, all skills 10, complement of officers...but I managed to scrounge cannons to 9 and accuracy to 8...and we did determine that that had no effect, anyways...), I am left with the single pop-gun again...

I dont know why the steamships have the unique line of code (Im pretty sure I didnt put it in :facepalm)
Might have been someone else who was editing the ships_init.c and I didnt pay enough attention to the merge :modding
DO they have that line in your copy of the file?
Because I'm using Oberleutnant's further balanced version of the file, but didn't check every single line he modified.
I DID notice, for one thing, that he set the WickedWench to be encounterable; I was a bit confused to suddenly see one in port! :shock

Ok, now I'm totally confused. If I add the Dutchman via the console, along with crew/officers/ammo, it works fine, and I get a nice broadside. However, if I buy it from Vanderdecken (same save), and buy crew/ammo myself (admittedly, not with a full, all skills 10, complement of officers...but I managed to scrounge cannons to 9 and accuracy to 8...and we did determine that that had no effect, anyways...), I am left with the single pop-gun again...
Did you put the ships.c file I attached to this post of mine in your PROGRAM\Ships folder?
http://forum.piratesahoy.net//topic/16140-unique-ship-cannons-not-firing-and-vanderdecken-buyable-steamships/page__view__findpost__p__371364
As far as I understand the problem, that should solve the single-pop gun problem completely.
Though admittedly I didn't try buying anything from Vanderdecken and just used the console to get myself the ship.
Still, that theoretically at least shouldn't make a difference.

I DONT have the line... I thought I didnt add it, I just copied and pasted the normal version, changed the id and also made encounter and buy = false

Then most likely that IS Oberleutnant's addition.
Which means I definitly need to check for similar unintentional things at some point. :(

Unfortunately, I can confirm this- WITH the new Ships.c file.
The console works fine for these ships, but when it comes to Vanderdecken (or indeed the encountered Pearl in the standard storyline), it seems we're back to square 'one'.
Damn. :modding

Please stick attached KB_routines.c in your PROGRAM folder and Ships.c in PROGRAM\Ships .
This is as far as I managed to come so far.

- If giving myself the "CursedDutchman" through console:
. All cannons fire, ship operates fully normally
. After applying ALL upgrades (minus "Flush ship" - wasn't available), the ship still manoeuvres properly (that is one problem solved!)
. After applying the "Reinforced Hull" upgrade, the "one cannon fires" problem is re-introduced
. After applying any of the other upgrades (minus "Flush ship" - wasn't available), all cannons still DO fire

- If buying the ship from Vanderdecken
. UNTESTED

- If encountering the ship in the storyline
. UNTESTED

Still, this does seem to be an improvement over Build 14 Beta 1 Full (couldn't upgrade "unique" ships at all without them going nuts)
and over Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 1 (cannons wouldn't fire even without upgrading).

- If buying the ship from Vanderdecken
. Only one cannon fires as reported, even after hiring a full crew
. This line basically gives you the same ship that you already have, only fully repaired, restocked, reset, etc.:
Code:
GiveShip2Character(pchar,pchar.ship.type,pchar.ship.name,-1,PIRATE,true,true);
If you execute that line after buying the "CursedDutchman" from Vanderdecken, she DOES fire all cannons again, even without reloading the scene.

Here's the stats of the CursedDutchman I bought from Vanderdecken:
SpeedRate: 17.3
TurnRate: 39
Max calibre: 32
Max crew: 431
Min crew: 41
Capacity: 3229
Design: PIRATE

Here's the stats of the CursedDutchman as given through the GiveShip2Character() line:
SpeedRate: 15.5
TurnRate: 36
Max crew: 420
Min crew: 40
Capacity: 4000

Here's the stats of the CursedDutchman from ships_init.c:
SpeedRate: 15.5
TurnRate: 36
Max crew: 420
Min crew: 40
Capacity: 4000

It appears that when buying from Vanderdecken, some randomization is going on, which is not supposed to happen.
This messes up the cannons firing.

Ah, now that IS interesting!
I have noticed the randomization in Vanderdecken's shipyard before, but thought nothing of it. :facepalm

I have used the new files provided, and still get the one-gun problem with Vanderdecken, as you have explained.

But I ALSO get the encountered Pearl STILL firing one gun at me in the storyline...
but I'm not sure of that ship's stats in relation to what they SHOULD be...

It seems we have several problems left, which may or may not be related:
1. When applying the "Reinforced Hull" upgrade to a "unique" ship, the cannons are messed up
2. When buying a "unique" ship from Vanderdecken, the cannons are messed up
3. When encountering a "unique" ship in a storyline, the cannons are messed up (as per Experienced Captain's report)

The following things are, however, NOT a problem:
1. Cannons work fine if you give yourself any "unique" ship through the console
2. Cannons, speed, turnrate and HP bar work fine when subsequently applying any upgrade (minus "Reinforced Hull" and the untested "Flushed Deck")
3. When buying a non-"unique" ship from Vanderdecken, the cannons are fine

A possible, but stupid, fix could be to just put the GiveShip2Character function in the shipyard buying interface code
for when you buy a "unique" ship from Vanderdecken. I haven't tested this yet, but it very well might work... :facepalm

I have used the new files provided, and still get the one-gun problem with Vanderdecken, as you have explained.
Yep; that problem remains. Well, we have at least *something* fixed, but it's still not really good enough! :whipa

But I ALSO get the encountered Pearl STILL firing one gun at me in the storyline...
but I'm not sure of that ship's stats in relation to what they SHOULD be...
The ship that Barbossa captains is SHIP_CURSED . I just gave myself that ship through the console and then she didn't have the problem.
Can you please execute this and see if the cannons fire properly for you?
Code:
GiveShip2Character(pchar,SHIP_CURSED,"Black Pearl",-1,PIRATE,true,true);
Do you have a savegame just prior to encountering the Black Pearl in the Standard storyline?
Please execute this line through the console BEFORE encountering the Black Pearl (eg. before entering 3D sailing mode at Martinique):
Code:
GiveShip2Character(characterFromID("Barbossa"),SHIP_CURSED,"Black Pearl",-1,PIRATE,true,true);
This should give Barbossa the ship he already has, but through the console code, which tends to work better than other methods.
I'd like to know if his cannons DO fire properly in that case.

Right, here are some test results:

1) When I give myself the Cursed Pearl with the console, ALL the cannons fire!

2) When I execute the code to give Barbossa his own ship, he FINALLY fires a full broadside at me!! (never been so happy to be fired at :cheeky )
(I have a lot of savegames, seeing as I have that weird problem with quest triggers, so conveniently I had one right before encountering the Pearl at Martinique)

I should also mention that when I encountered the Mefisto in the sidequest, she fired all her guns no problem... yet she is 'unique'...

Back