• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help unlocking abillities

Captain Dixi

Sailor Apprentice
Hearts of Oak Donator
Ahoy Everybody

First of all, thanks a lot for the great game you made out of PotC.

My plan to find out everything on my own and by reading here did not quite work. I have one onging problem.

How can I unlock the following abillities?

1. Landing Party: It says I shall gain a governor's trust. I was way above 120 points for England and sank many ships for this and other governors....

2. Emergency Repairs: How can I get the shipyard to ask me for materials? When I get offered the text, that I heard about this shipyard to have a big order, the owner just tells me I heard wrong...

3. Advanced Commerce: exactly the same as the shipyard.

Thanks in advance and happy plundering.

Captain Dixi

Sorry I forgot... I play Build 14 3.2

Last edited:
:ahoymate!

First it must be said that this new system is still being worked on but is on hold for now due to real life. :read:checklist

1. I am not sure, but methinks you need to take on Governor missions to gain his trust.

2. That is time related. You have to get there quickly and do it quickly.

3. This one seems to have some sort of bug in it that does not allow us to complete it.

As I said, this is a WIP and still needs work.

1. You need to gain Ranks from a nation by getting a Letter of Marque.

2. Keep trying; some time, you should be lucky. Keep an eye on the Tavern News so you don't miss out on the "Fetch Quests".

3. Is it only the Fetch Quests for the Tailor that doesn't work and the Shipyard does?

1: Get a Letter of Marque from any nation you like. Sink or capture lots of ships belonging to nations hostile to that one. When you look at "Relations" and your status with your friendly nation is green, you're due for a promotion. More promotions mean the governors belonging to that nation trust you more, and when you reach high enough rank one of the perks requiring a governor's trust will be unlocked. Higher ranks unlock more perks. Ship-hunting missions from the governors are irrelevant except in as much as they guarantee to put you against a ship hostile to that nation, which helps towards your promotion.

2, 3: If I ever find one of these quests before I finish my current storyline, I'll let you know. After I finish my current storyline I'm going to disable locked perks before starting the next one, after which "fetch" quests are someone else's problem. xD

2, 3: If I ever find one of these quests before I finish my current storyline, I'll let you know. After I finish my current storyline I'm going to disable locked perks before starting the next one, after which "fetch" quests are someone else's problem. xD

Bloody Pirate! :g2 I would too but feel this needs to be tested more when the coders get back.

Bloody Pirate! :g2
Yes, proud of it. :rpirate (And we have some nice new pirate icons to celebrate the fact!)

Having already tried out the whole idea of locked perks to see how badly it fouls up the game (answer: very badly, especially if some of the unlocks don't work) I've come to the conclusion that the whole idea is silly anyway. You can hire an officer who is an expert in his field but because you haven't jumped through the relevant hoop to unlock something, he can't know the details of his trade. Expensive perks force you to decide your area of expertise and choose the perks accordingly, then hire officers who are experts in other areas - that's fine. Locked perks which mean nobody on your side can know their trade until you've gone out of your way to do the unlock, not fine and for me not fun either.

I wonder.... Should those perks be unlocked as soon as you hire an officer that technically should be having that perk?
That would give you two ways of unlocking them:
1. Doing whatever needs to be done
2. Hire an officer who "already did this"

Ya know what? You can already hire an officer who has perks that you have not unlocked yet. The perk remains locked for you but not the officer. For instance in my game Mr. Gibbs has the good repair perk but I do not.

Do you even get to SEE that perk if he has it and you don't? If so, do you see it on him without that Lock?

This is what I see. Mr. Gibbs has his own ship BTW.
beta3 2014-06-16 13-34-23-45.jpg beta3 2014-06-16 13-34-52-53.jpg

Strange. I haven't seen an officer who has a locked perk. Though I do have one who has "Professional Swordsman" but not "Advanced Blocking"! (I've unlocked "Advanced Blocking" now, but might not have at the time when I hired that officer.)

Hello All

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

After reading your replies, I checked if I can use the perks of my officers, that are still locked for me. Well, it works! Fred Bob has both repair perks and if I make him carpenter I can use the quick repair. I did not test the others, but I will when I get to it.

I will try finding the "fetch quests" for the shipyard.

For the governors trust perks, I will try again. Does anybody know which rank you need to unlock "landing party"? I was as high as commodore with the British, at least until I took Bridgetown.

@ Grey Roger: How do you disable locked perks? I just started a new game, but I would not mind to start over without locked perks.

Thanks

Captain Dixi

"Troopers" aka. "Landing Party should be unlocked on the Commodore rank as per PROGRAM\NK.c:
Code:
        case 7: // Commodore
           if(pchar.sex != "woman")
           {
             switch(GetAttribute(pchar,"model"))
             {
               case "47_Cptsparrow":     GiveModel2Player("47_Cosparrow", true); break;
               case "Cpnorrington":     GiveModel2Player("Conorrington", true); break;
               case "47_Blaze_brtcpt":     GiveModel2Player("47_Blaze_brtco", true); break;
               GiveModel2Player("brtbath_18", true);
             }
           }
           GiveItem2Character(pchar,"blade22"+qual); // Corsair's Pride
           EquipCharacterByItem(pchar,"blade22"+qual);
           UnlockPerk("Troopers");
         break;
PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h:
Code:
#define   ALLOW_LOCKED_PERKS         1     // BOOL    - Default = 1, If 1 perks can be locked. If 0 no perks can be locked.
Set to 0

Thanks again to both of you.

I do not have a save from when I was commodore, but then I must have missed it.

I will start a new game today and try with no perks locked.

Thank
Captain Dixi

Back