• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Unnamed Uninhabited Island Survival Game

It looks good, but don't go for a swim. I sorta drowned........... I also could not climb to the top of the volcano.
Likewise. When you go into the water, you just "fall off of the edge of the world" or something! :rofl

FPS for me is quite a bit worse. On "fantastic" it went down all the way to 1-2 FPS with 15-30 FPS on "fastest". I didn't think my laptop was quite that bad. It shouldn't be! :shock

But on looks, it's a very definite step forward! :onya

I'm not surprised by both your replies.

1. Yeah I didn't make an invisible barrier to the edge of terrain so if you go far enough into water you fall off.
2. To climb volcano, try jumping (spacebar) up one of its less steep sides.
3. The group of palm trees had a collider so those would be the only trees that would make you stop :p
4. This is REALLY inefficient. I am using realtime lights and shadows and with 1000+ trees it's using a ton of "draw calls", like 3000+. A detailed game should have maybe 1000 max I hear. For a lot of modern computers though, it can still do pretty well as you see. So again, just me experimenting with tons of trees.
5. Nobody commented on the crazy bubble! Did anyone lose it? (Besides falling off ocean?)

Just managed to give this a try on my laptop (with integrated graphics), and it looks fairly good.
I managed about the same FPS as Pieter on Fastest, and between 5 and 20 on Fantastic. Once it's properly optimised, I'd probably get a playable FPS on Good, or thereabouts.

The movement feels a little slippery, though. When I stop pressing W to move forward, I keep sliding for a bit, but I'd expect a more sudden stop.
That bubble was strange. o_O I didn't lose it, though.

Will try that volcano later after finishing some big downloads. I think I lost that bubble until I went down to the shore again, where it found me.
Pieter, your laptop is about 3 years old now isn't it? That is 2 generations and a new generation of hardware will be coming out for Christmas. Like the racers say "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?".

Movement feels odd because I set it's "speed" pretty high so it wouldn't take it forever to walk around. Don't worry about that :p

I'm glad that you guys are able to run it that well on your laptops!

So that bubble is using Unity's built in navmesh. I have it so it is always trying to come towards you and it will get there however and whenever it can :D kind creepy...

Pieter, your laptop is about 3 years old now isn't it? That is 2 generations and a new generation of hardware will be coming out for Christmas. Like the racers say "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?".
Something like that, yes. But it WAS pretty much the best laptop money could buy at the time. And according to my expert cousin, it's still a pretty good one.
Not that I would notice from the crappy performance it has been giving. What do you mean Firefox doesn't respond for 5 minutes with 5 tabs open???

Something like that, yes. But it WAS pretty much the best laptop money could buy at the time. And according to my expert cousin, it's still a pretty good one.
Not that I would notice from the crappy performance it has been giving. What do you mean Firefox doesn't respond for 5 minutes with 5 tabs open???
You should install Windows 8 on that thing. Trust me, you'd be amazed at the difference in performance it makes.
My dad recently upgraded his laptop (must be a few years older than yours) from Vista to 8, and it now handles everyday tasks just as well as my new laptop. It even starts up in a matter of seconds, not minutes.
Yes, Vista was crap to begin with, but even 7 is sluggish compared to 8.
Anyway, sorry to drift off topic. :wp

Would that really make the difference? I don't have much trust in newer Windows versions. And the performance issues I just cannot understand; they're beyond unreasonably bad.
I mean several MINUTES to open a 1 MB PDF file containing two pages of text only or something? WHA??? :shock

Despite what many Microsoft/Windows sceptics would have you believe, Windows 8 REALLY isn't an evil OS designed to make life difficult for PC users in favour of the tablet market.
Microsoft seems to have cut out a tonne of crap from previous versions to improve performance in Win 8. A good example is the desktop; windows now have a solid-colour border similar to XP, rather than wasting resources rendering translucency and shadows everywhere. Only the taskbar is still translucent Win 7 style.
The super-speedy boot time is really convenient, too. My laptop boots faster than my phone, for goodness' sake! xD

In terms of real performance... I can browse the web very smoothly, use Maya and GIMP without a hitch, play PotC pretty well... the list goes on.
Using a PDF as an example, I can open an 82 MB file with over 100 pages in a few seconds with the Reader app.

Obviously I can't say how either mine or my dad's laptop will perform in two or three years' time, but it's looking good so far.
One thing I will say is that, on a laptop, Windows 8 is much quicker to navigate with a touchpad supporting gestures (such as swipes, two fingered pinch/zoom etc).
If yours doesn't have that functionality already, I think you can download drivers which enable gestures for your touchpad.
It's not compulsory, just more convenient if you don't use a mouse.

Would that really make the difference? I don't have much trust in newer Windows versions. And the performance issues I just cannot understand; they're beyond unreasonably bad.
I mean several MINUTES to open a 1 MB PDF file containing two pages of text only or something? WHA??? :shock

There is something very wrong with that lack of performance. Virus? Malware? Just needs a defrag? Overheating because the vents are clogged with dust?

On topic: I made it into the volcano! And then made it out! That lost Wilson and I had to go looking for him.

There is something very wrong with that lack of performance. Virus? Malware? Just needs a defrag? Overheating because the vents are clogged with dust?
Wished I knew. I've got Malwarebytes Anti-Malware always running and McAfee for viruses.
But it seems to me that the virus scanner is being a worse virus than an actual virus is; whenever it goes scanning, the computer slows down to a crawl. It's bizarre, really.

On topic: I made it into the volcano! And then made it out! That lost Wilson and I had to go looking for him.

HAHA! I can't believe you made it back out of the volcano! Somehow a random tree got up there... burning forever in the volcano :p

Don't lose wilson!!!

I highly recommend you read the book: A Brave Vessel http://www.amazon.com/Brave-Vessel-Castaways-Jamestown-ShakespearesThe/dp/B002XULXTC

I read it in two days. Excellent read and full of the challenges the shipwrecked folks had to overcome - as well as the food available - and getting off the island.

I also recommend you read about Francisco de Orellana's expedition through the Amazon. Its amazing he survived - and in the 1540s. What a story - they should make a movie about this one.
http://latinamericanhistory.about.c...sco-De-Orellana-S-Amazon-River-Expedition.htm

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9152282-river-of-darkness

MK

Thanks for the book suggestions! I own Robinson Crusoe and Swiss Family Robinson... I have always loved this genre of books!! I don't know why...

Back