• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Updating the Island Models

Nevis more or less finished, but with the usual amount of teething problems. Fort cannot be read by TOOL, I made a mistake with the seabed meaning you can't enter the harbour, and the port reload locator isn't pointing the way I tell it to. :whipa Also had to raise the entire port because it was being flooded even in calm seas.

Why can't it ever be simple? I'm losing too much sleep over this stuff. :ko

OK, all of the above problems are now fixed, but we're not 100% there yet.

The fort was relentless in not wanting to export properly, and trying to find whatever unreasonable and mysterious problem the geometry had was hopeless.
Instead, I circumvented the problem by creating a simplified, invisible mesh to act as the fort's collision detection, and had the real thing superimposed over it with a locator.
Thankfully, this actually worked! Hits are registered properly and the fort looks good. The irony is that making a collision mesh like this is the modern way of doing things.
Take that, crappy ten-year-old GM exporter! :razz

One remaining issue is that the fort's flag doesn't want to show up. The locators ARE present in the right place, and the fort does fire back, so I must have missed some code somewhere.
The player's ship also spawns facing the wrong way when leaving the port, despite TOOL suggesting that the reload locator is in fact facing away from the port.
I'm wondering whether that's a code error as well...

Anyway, everything is available in this package: QC_NEW.7z
You also need to copy Blank.tga.tx from RESOURCE\Textures\Ships to RESOURCE\Textures, so the fort collision mesh is hidden.

Very cool! :woot

I'll check on that flag issue. Might be a simple matter of a missing fort commander. Here's to hoping.... :rolleyes:

I did add a fort commander, though. Only did it quickly for testing purposes (hence "John Smith" :cheeky), so perhaps I missed something.

Flag problem solved. Turned out the locator group just needed to be changed to "flag1".
Also found a couple of other small errors, which I have fixed now. Seems to be working. :doff

Attachments

• CharlestownFort.jpg
    CharlestownFort.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 105
Wow, the game was NOT fond of that "fort collision mesh" thing. Confused the crap out of the Location Lighter.
I managed to hoodwink it into making it work anyway though by temporarily putting the "part1" file in use as NORMAL fort, then renaming the COL files afterwards.
So as far as I can tell, it all matches up and looks good now. Charlestown just needs moving on the worldmap.
And the buyable map is no longer accurate either.

Here's to hoping adding just a pier to Aruba wouldn't be as much trouble as this here. :facepalm

Flag problem solved. Turned out the locator group just needed to be changed to "flag1".
Yeah, this morning I suddenly remembered that I hadn't grouped the locators properly in Maya, so that's why they weren't behaving. Thanks for fixing that!

Wow, the game was NOT fond of that "fort collision mesh" thing. Confused the crap out of the Location Lighter.
I managed to hoodwink it into making it work anyway though by temporarily putting the "part1" file in use as NORMAL fort, then renaming the COL files afterwards.
I hadn't thought about the collision mesh fooling the location lighter... good catch! :onya
Hopefully Aruba won't be a problem; at least there's no fort to mess things up.

I hadn't thought about the collision mesh fooling the location lighter... good catch! :onya
I hadn't thought of it either. Didn't even have the slightest clue that it might be a problem.
So I was quite surprised when I got an error when loading the Location Lighter. :shock

I've been wondering if perhaps we can/should make a Build 14 Beta 3.1 release before I go back to sea.
We've made some good changes since Beta 3 that might be nice to make public.

However, I was wondering if there would be any chance at all of that little pier added to the Aruba island model for that.
That would mean all models show their ports at last.

It's not a requirement, of course, but I had to ask. :oops:

What would be the deadline for this? I'm currently figuring out how to export the Lyon Hoy from Maya to the CryEngine*, which is my priority of the moment.

*Going well so far; it's actually fairly straightforward. It even identifies problems with the model before it can be exported. I wish the GM exporter could do that! :wp

What would be the deadline for this?
I'll still be in The Netherlands for another three weeks while I'm doing courses. After that, I don't know because I've got no planning yet.
Is two/three weeks enough?

That would be plenty of time, though I really can't make any promises. Hearts of Oak will take priority, but if I find myself without any critical work, I'll see what I can do.

Armada, if you still want to try your hand at Aruba, I intend to release the next version on Friday.
No worries if you can't make it though. I don't think it bothers many people. :wp

Back