• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Vigila Mendez

Hylie Pistof

Curmudgeon
QA Tester
Storm Modder
Pirate Legend
This side quest is STILL broken. I have tried repeatedly to complete it and it does not work. PERIOD.

Either fix it or get that bum out of the store at San Juan. I am tired of him cluttering the place up.

Attachments

• -=Player1=- Puerto Rico.7z
    605 KB · Views: 101
In La Croix storyline, the Vigila Mendez quest it works just fine.

This quest has been very buggy for me for years. Others seem to have no problems but no matter how I try it, it always takes me at least 4 attempts. I am out of patience.

Which storyline? And what does and doesn't happen?
Savegame just before it goes wrong? Can't do anything without more details.

In my experience, the quest works but you must not progress any other quest while it is active. Get Mendes, go straight to St. Pierre, meet him in the store, go straight back to San Juan, get rid of him in the store. If you progress another quest at the same time, Mendes is liable not to show up.

For example, when I went from San Juan to St. Pierre via Nevis Pirate Settlement and talked to Armand Delacroix to progress "Help the Lady", Mendes did not appear at St. Pierre store. Likewise, I went straight to St. Pierre, met Mendes, continued on to Bridgetown to meet the Montanez as part of "Strange Things Happening", returned to San Juan, Mendes did not appear. I reloaded back to San Juan, went non-stop to St. Pierre and straight back to San Juan, and completed Mendes' quest without further trouble.

If at all possible, I would be interested in seeing TWO savegames:
- One where Mendez fails to appear in a store
- One save prior to that where he WAS still with you

That might allow me to figure out the difference between the two conditions.

Fixing this may have to wait until after all sidequests have been fully moved to the general game folder instead of storyline-specific ones.
Once that is completed, it would be a good time to start tweaking the quests and fixing/improving on them because any changes would then only need to be made in one spot instead of many.

This side quest is STILL broken. I have tried repeatedly to complete it and it does not work. PERIOD.

Either fix it or get that bum out of the store at San Juan. I am tired of him cluttering the place up.
I tried your savegame and I completed The Vigila Mendez quest in it. But there is something mystic going on
in your savegame indeed .

Standard storyline and outside of his ship following mine he never appears anywhere except the San Juan store to start the quest. I go straight to the world map to Martinique and then "sail to" port. Then go straight to the store and he is not there. I no longer bother direct sailing there as he is not there then either.

Something mystic?

Here is your savegame whit the quest completed. Something is odd about the Flags and relations to other nations.

Attachments

• -=Player1=- Puerto Rico. San Juan store September 30th, 1751.zip
    949.7 KB · Views: 105
I sail in to St. Pierre port under Spanish flag, the fort dont fire against me, but the French is hostile to Spain?
When I leave the port, the fort started to shoot at me as the should. Trying to hoist The french flag before I go
to port will break the quest.

Something is odd with this save. I had already completed the tasks against France and had begged forgiveness and then bought a Letter of Marque. France and Spain were friendly and I have a LoM from each. That is why I took on Mendes then and I sailed under my flag. There should have been no problems.

This is the conditions when I sailed. I will try again another day.
Beta 3 2015-03-12 09-59-37-18.jpg

Have relations in the "Standard" storyline changed? Or, @Hylie Pistof do you have variable relations enabled? Last time I played "Standard", which admittedly was some time ago (Beta 3.2 existed but I'd re-installed Beta 3.1), the political layout was fairly simple - Britain, Portugal and Holland allied, France and Spain allied, the two alliances at war with each other. The screenshot shows Britain at war with Holland, while @ANSEL reports France and Spain at war.

I can't remember whether I hoisted a false French flag, left the Spanish flag up, or sneaked in through the landward entrance via Octopus Bay. France and I never seem to get on very well. xD I also completed the Vigila Mendes quest during a play through of "Nelson's First Command" under Beta 3.4 - again, I'm not sure whether I used a false French flag or the back door. Perhaps you could try the landward entrance?

Maybe a change of relation while you're on the way to or from Martinique can foul things up. If variable relations are enabled, see what happens if you disable variable relations before taking the quest.

I'll mark this as Confirmed and try to fix it once the Sidequest reorganisation has been successfully completed.

Yes I do have variable relations enabled but I waited until relations were all good to do this quest. I had no problems with any nation at all. I went to the port and dropped anchor right next to the fort. Vigila Mendes has simply not been there for me in the last 2-3 installs.

There is something odd going on with my saves as the last 2 that I 7zipped were messed up.

Hylie,
I have tried this on the standard storyline and it worked fine - I was at war with France so I had to go the the bay - not the port. went to the store and Vigila was there.

I have had a few in past versions of the game that certainly didn't work.

I have found the reason I was having problems with Vigila Mendes. There is a building in Martinique where kidnappers hang out and I am in the habit of visiting it for goodies. When I do not go there VM works fine. When I do he does not work. So I was creating my own problem.

Do you think about those quest marked as fixed?
That means you reported them broken and I made the code changes that I think should fix them, but that does still need to be confirmed.

I have found the reason I was having problems with Vigila Mendes. There is a building in Martinique where kidnappers hang out and I am in the habit of visiting it for goodies. When I do not go there VM works fine. When I do he does not work. So I was creating my own problem.
That is quite curious. Why would that break it? Do you happen to have a save in front of the door to the location that breaks the quest?
Would be nice if it would be reliable to just work.

No I do not have a save there now. I have one close by in the blacksmith shop. The location of the kidnappers hideout is next door to the shipyard across the way from the tavern.

Attachments

• -=Player=- Martinique.7z
    613.8 KB · Views: 85
With the Mendes quest still active? I'll give it a whirl next week.

Back