• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Visible Damage on Ship Decks.

EdwardNeedham

Landlubber
Good Evening Gents,

Been having a blast with this mod and do hope it will continue to receive updates every now and then.

This might not the right venue to ask this question but I will anyway: What is with the visible damage on the decks of 1st, 2nd and third rates? Is there anyway to revert these decks to there former glory? Or are we doomed to walk away on damaged vessels forever?

For example on the HMS Victory deck, there is visible debris everywhere, smoldering penetration breaches and wrecked cannons. Is there Anyway to restore the vessel to an undamaged state, either by importing a model(if it exists) to replace the current model or by doing something ingame.

This is the only thing that really has been bugging me.

Yours humbly,

Edward Needham

Ah yes, I've asked about those years ago and unless we find a good modeller who can model an undamaged topside for those bigger ships, we will continue to be walking on a damaged deck.

Ah yes, I've asked about those years ago and unless we find a good modeller who can model an undamaged topside for those bigger ships, we will continue to be walking on a damaged deck.

Ah, that’s a shame, new to the mod, I know a few well versed modelers who may be assistance. In the meantime is there a way to swap deck models on ships? The first third rate you get as a NO for example to replace the Victory Damaged Model

Those deck models were made to be used in boarding scenes only, so that's why they have damage.
We 'abused' them so you can walk around at any time, but while we could easily remove the fire-and-smoke particle effects, removing the damage requires a very complex remodeling process.

Would need to convert the files back to something Maya-compatible, then edit them, then export to GM again.
This can only be done by someone familiar/willing to become familiar with Maya.
There's also no guarantee it'll work, because that process is tricky.

I'm not entirely sure which ones wouldn't have damage,
butyou can easily change the deck models used per ship in the ships_init.c file though.

Welcome aboard @EdwardNeedham!!! :cheers

Maybe with a bit of texturing and the TOOL something could be done, similarly to the "Frigate_Sat" that I erased the cannons from the deck texture and added higher quality ones.

Also I have a limited experience with Maya from trying to port The Witcher 1 model of Geralt to PotC and I am willing to become better, but I don't have the time to start a modeling project right now.:(
In addition to that, when/if I find the time to make such a mod, I will try to improve Geralt with the TOOL or make "PiratFrigateSat" look more like "Frigate_Sat" with Maya.

Thank you for all the replies. When I first saw the decks, I figured that this must have been reused from the unmodified game. I can only imagine what is needed to fix em. I found a ship deck I would like to use, the Advanced Warship, the first 3rd Rank Ship you receive as a British NO in free play. Could someone walk me through the steps swapping the decks?

On a completely side not, where do you get first rates as a British, NO, Freeplay. I’m the highest possible rank and I am currently piloting a Trinity.

Also thank you for welcoming me! Absolutely love the work you guys did on this! Really amazing!

Those deck models were made to be used in boarding scenes only, so that's why they have damage.
We 'abused' them so you can walk around at any time, but while we could easily remove the fire-and-smoke particle effects, removing the damage requires a very complex remodeling process.

Would need to convert the files back to something Maya-compatible, then edit them, then export to GM again.
There's also no guarantee it'll work, because that process is tricky.

I'm not entirely sure which ones wouldn't have damage,
butyou can easily change the deck models used per ship in the ships_init.c file though.

It would be the Advanced Warship, I believe I found the deck in Notepadd++. It is defined by refShip.walk, correct? The deck I like is the “Battleshipl”(I think, if this is the correct ship)

Or would it be refShip.QDeck?

As @Pieter Boelen said, open PROGRAM\Ships\Ships_init.c

Once you open it, replace all
Code:
refShip.QDeck = "ShipDeck3";
With
Code:
refShip.QDeck = "ShipDeck2";

Then open your game, load your desired game save, press the F11 key and save.

You press F11 in order to make the game reinitiate the ships stats and save well to save that you reinitiated the ships stats.

Now all ships that have the damaged deck will now have the deck you replaced it in the code.
If for some reason you need to load an older save you are going to have to press F11 again so that save also gets the changes.

Good luck on the sea!!! :cheers

I think TNP already covered your original question, so I'm skipping that one.

On a completely side not, where do you get first rates as a British, NO, Freeplay. I’m the highest possible rank and I am currently piloting a Trinity.
You mean a British Naval Officer? What time period are you playing in? And are you any specific character?
The rewards are coded in PROGRAM\NK.c, function 'GivePromotionReward'.
It's a fairly long function, but hopefully relatively straightforward so hopefully you can find your answers in there. :doff

Thanks for the info! I haven’t tried swapping the values yet. Will try later tonight. I noticed the HMS Victory is disabled(encounter and buy), is this the same with all first rates? How would a NO go about acquiring a small flotilla of First Rates at Max Rank? I thought you might be able to at the Naval Shipyard in Antigua, but alas I can’t. Thanks in advance!

I noticed the HMS Victory is disabled(encounter and buy), is this the same with all first rates?
Victory is disabled because she's a unique ship with her name printed on the stern.
It would be weird if you could get multiple of those within the same game.
But hey... that IS, in fact, still possible (see below). :wp

The regular First Rates are very rare, but do show up at sea and in the shipyards of the largest towns.
I can't quite remember though if you're allowed to buy ships as Naval Officer at all.
As you can see from the code, you're supposed to get First Rates at the higher ranks for free.

I wonder: Do you sell your ships before accepting a promotion?
On the higher ranks, instead of getting a new ship yourself; you get a companion with a ship instead.
Then you can swap ships if you want, but many players prefer a frigate style ship as their command so it might be that the First Rates go to those companions.

If you have no free slots when you accept the promotion, then that is skipped because there's nowhere for the officer and ship to go.
You get a quick on-screen message about that, but I can imagine that's easy to miss.

Could that perhaps be what's been happening for you?

I thought you might be able to at the Naval Shipyard in Antigua, but alas I can’t.
@Grey Roger, do you think that sounds like an addable feature? It does kind-of make sense to me.
But a bit unfair, since only England would have that option...

How would a NO go about acquiring a small flotilla of First Rates at Max Rank?
One quite crazy thing to try:
Go to the Tortuga Tavern. Talk to Mr. Gibbs. Get the Aztec Compass item.
This makes Isla de Muerta appear on the map. Go there.
On one of the shores, you walk to another shore with a shipwreck on it. Go inside.
Talk to the 'person' in there and see what he has on offer.
This should allow you to literally get multiple HMS Victory's including nameplate. :rofl

Victory is disabled because she's a unique ship with her name printed on the stern.

The regular First Rates are very rare, but do show up at sea and in the shipyards of the largest towns.
I can't quite remember though if you're allowed to buy ships as Naval Officer at all.
As you can see from the code, you're supposed to get First Rates at the higher ranks for free.

I wonder: Do you sell your ships before accepting a promotion?
On the higher ranks, instead of getting a new ship yourself; you get a companion with a ship instead.
Then you can swap ships if you want, but many players prefer a frigate style ship as their command so it might be that the First Rates go to those companions.

If you have no free slots when you accept the promotion, then that is skipped because there's nowhere for the officer and ship to go.
You get a quick on-screen message about that, but I can imagine that's easy to miss.

Could that perhaps be what's been happening for you?

@Grey Roger, do you think that sounds like an addable feature? It does kind-of make sense to me.

One quite crazy thing to try:
Go to the Tortuga Tavern. Talk to Mr. Gibbs. Get the Aztec Compass item.
This makes Isla de Muerta appear on the map. Go there.
On one of the shores, you walk to another shore with a shipwreck on it. Go inside.
Talk to the 'person' in there and see what he has on offer.
This should allow you to literally get multiple HMS Victory's including nameplate. :rofl

Lol didn’t know you had to do that, I just figured the ship was replaced! I had 3 3rd rates that I masterfully captured early on, and kept them, makes sense never got anything better than a trinity. Will try the Gibbs issue. I believe I chose around 1670s-80s. I do not think you can buy but I haven’t checked.

Side question, Is this mod still in development? Should I send modders your way? I know nothing past python, from undergrad, but always willing to learn more. Current FEM here.

Side question, Is this mod still in development? Should I send modders your way? I know nothing past python, from undergrad, but always willing to learn more. Current FEM here.
It's as 'in development' as enthusiastic modders make it.
@Grey Roger and @Jack Rackham still make plenty of updates.
And everyone else is welcome to join in and make whatever improvements they want too.
Anyone can share their work and if @Grey Roger believes its good to add to the main mod, he'll do so. :cheers

Getting multiple ships with the same name printed on the stern is very easy. The Bermuda Sloop has the name "Stingray" printed on the stern and you should be able to buy or capture a full fleet of those. :D

As I recall, "HMS_Victory" was the work of @Armada and he was quite insistent that it be unique. "RN_FirstRate" is identical except for having a slightly less detailed stern without the nameplate. It's also repaint-compatible, so once you get your hands on a "RN_FirstRate" (or anyone else's "FirstRate", for that matter), you can go into any shipyard, click the "Appearance" tab, and change it to "HMS_Victory". (@Armada: if you really want "HMS_Victory" to be unique, perhaps remove the 'refShip.Model = "Victory"' line from its definition in "Ships_init.c".)

I believe you can buy ships when you are of flag rank (Commodore or higher). You can also switch ships to take command of whichever ship in your fleet you like best, whether that's something you bought or something you captured. Which brings up the next point - you're supposed to be an officer of the Royal Navy, so show some fighting spirit! The best way to get a new ship isn't from a British shipyard, it's from a French fleet. :pirate41:

You can repair your ships at Antigua but you can't buy anything there. You can't sell prize ships either, which is something that may need to be fixed - if there's one place where prize ships ought to be sold, it's the Admiralty dockyard. If they're for sale, they should probably be buyable as well, though of course only to loyal British captains. :D Not necessarily naval captains - a British merchant captain should be able to buy a captured merchant ship there. Normal rules for buying naval ships would apply. So, do a check on served nation, plus the normal check on naval rank for warships.

Back