• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Visible Damage on Ship Decks.

Lol didn’t know you had to do that, I just figured the ship was replaced! I had 3 3rd rates that I masterfully captured early on, and kept them, makes sense never got anything better than a trinity. Will try the Gibbs issue. I believe I chose around 1670s-80s. I do not think you can buy but I haven’t checked.
In that case you certainly won't see "RN_FirstRate" or anything similar. They're from 100 years in the future. xD Try playing in the "Revolutions" or "Napoleonic" periods instead.
Side question, Is this mod still in development? Should I send modders your way? I know nothing past python, from undergrad, but always willing to learn more. Current FEM here.
Yes, the mod is still in development, whether fixing bugs or adding improvements. I didn't even know Python when I started modding - first I played with dialog text files, then with dialog code files by looking at what existing code does and figuring out how it does it, then onto other code files.

Getting multiple ships with the same name printed on the stern is very easy. The Bermuda Sloop has the name "Stingray" printed on the stern and you should be able to buy or capture a full fleet of those. :D
Ah; forgot about that one. Don't you think that should have its name removed and only the unique one with extra cannons kept with name showing?

As I recall, "HMS_Victory" was the work of @Armada and he was quite insistent that it be unique. "RN_FirstRate" is identical except for having a slightly less detailed stern without the nameplate. It's also repaint-compatible, so once you get your hands on a "RN_FirstRate" (or anyone else's "FirstRate", for that matter), you can go into any shipyard, click the "Appearance" tab, and change it to "HMS_Victory". (@Armada: if you really want "HMS_Victory" to be unique, perhaps remove the 'refShip.Model = "Victory"' line from its definition in "Ships_init.c".)
Was that not one of those @pgargon models?
Must be mentioned in ships_init.c .

I didn't even know Python when I started modding - first I played with dialog text files, then with dialog code files by looking at what existing code does and figuring out how it does it, then onto other code files.
Yup, modding PotC is a great way of learning programming in a fun and real way.
For me, I learned with PotC and that really helps me to this day in my current paid job.
But the learning was done here; in this community.

Ah; forgot about that one. Don't you think that should have its name removed and only the unique one with extra cannons kept with name showing?
Which unique one? I can only see one Bermuda Sloop, both in "Ships_init.c" and in "RESOURCE\MODELS\Ships". (When I created the pirate version of Elizabeth Swann, I filled in enough detail in "initModels.c" to make her a "Specific" character, and assigned her a Bermuda Sloop. Since the ship model has a clearly visible name, I used it. :D)

Was that not one of those @pgargon models?
Must be mentioned in ships_init.c .
"Ships_init.c" credits @pgargon for the generic "RN_FirstRate".

"HMS_Victory" is a retexture of the same model. @Armada did a splendid job on it based on the real ship:
Released - Repainted HMS Victory
Then I copied the basic colour scheme onto the rest of the British late period ships, while leaving the superdetailing unique to "HMS_Victory".

Which unique one? I can only see one Bermuda Sloop, both in "Ships_init.c" and in "RESOURCE\MODELS\Ships". (When I created the pirate version of Elizabeth Swann, I filled in enough detail in "initModels.c" to make her a "Specific" character, and assigned her a Bermuda Sloop. Since the ship model has a clearly visible name, I used it. :D)
There used to be two identical models, but one with extra cannon locators for the swivel guns too.
But now you mention it, I've got a faint memory that we got rid of one and kept only the other.

"Ships_init.c" credits @pgargon for the generic "RN_FirstRate".

"HMS_Victory" is a retexture of the same model. @Armada did a splendid job on it based on the real ship:
Released - Repainted HMS Victory
Then I copied the basic colour scheme onto the rest of the British late period ships, while leaving the superdetailing unique to "HMS_Victory".
Ahaaa! That explains it.
And again now that you mention it, yep I do remember that.

As @Pieter Boelen said, open PROGRAM\Ships\Ships_init.c

Once you open it, replace all
Code:
refShip.QDeck = "ShipDeck3";
With
Code:
refShip.QDeck = "ShipDeck2";

Then open your game, load your desired game save, press the F11 key and save.

You press F11 in order to make the game reinitiate the ships stats and save well to save that you reinitiated the ships stats.

Now all ships that have the damaged deck will now have the deck you replaced it in the code.
If for some reason you need to load an older save you are going to have to press F11 again so that save also gets the changes.

Good luck on the sea!!! :cheers
Just gave this a try, nothing changed on the deck. F11 doesn't seem to do anything, tried F12, which executes the console, still nuthin. :( Changed it from Deck3-Deck2

As @Pieter Boelen said, open PROGRAM\Ships\Ships_init.c

Once you open it, replace all
Code:
refShip.QDeck = "ShipDeck3";
With
Code:
refShip.QDeck = "ShipDeck2";

Then open your game, load your desired game save, press the F11 key and save.

You press F11 in order to make the game reinitiate the ships stats and save well to save that you reinitiated the ships stats.

Now all ships that have the damaged deck will now have the deck you replaced it in the code.
If for some reason you need to load an older save you are going to have to press F11 again so that save also gets the changes.

Good luck on the sea!!! :cheers
Tried the formentioned steps, still doesn't work. Doesn't seem F11 does anything. The Deck Im trying to use is Deck 2(I believe) Which is used on the Advanced Warship(HMS Mordaunt) that you receive as a Post Captain as a British NO

Started a new game with the victory, it has changed. Still cant modify previous saves, decks remain the same.

Also, is there a way to increase the amount of crew members that appear on the deck?
When I changed the cabin of the Wicked Wench I did what I told you and the ships cabin changed.

Maybe you didn't change all entries? :shrug

And about the number of crew on deck while sailing, I believe I have seen something in ships_init.c but I can't remember whether it was in PotC or in TEHO.

If you mean the type of deck you are trying to replace them maybe it has to do with locators.

Started a new game with the victory, it has changed. Still cant modify previous saves, decks remain the same
You probably also need to re-give your ship to yourself with the updated settings.
There are some outcommented GiveShip2Character lines at the top of console.c you can use for that.

Also, is there a way to increase the amount of crew members that appear on the deck?
I haven't a clue what the game bases that number on, actually.
Always did wonder...

When I changed the cabin of the Wicked Wench I did what I told you and the ships cabin changed.

Maybe you didn't change all entries? :shrug

And about the number of crew on deck while sailing, I believe I have seen something in ships_init.c but I can't remember whether it was in PotC or in TEHO.

If you mean the type of deck you are trying to replace them maybe it has to do with locators.

I changed the all the entries, the changes appear on new games, but I cannot reinitiate the changes with F11 on old saves, F11 does nothing when activated. My not have any workaround and may just need to start a new game.

I changed the all the entries, the changes appear on new games, but I cannot reinitiate the changes with F11 on old saves, F11 does nothing when activated. My not have any workaround and may just need to start a new game.
You probably also need to re-give your ship to yourself with the updated settings.
There are some outcommented GiveShip2Character lines at the top of console.c you can use for that.
Are you having trouble trying the above?
I don't have a lot of time, but if necessary, I can write a clearer description tomorrow.
Without this extra step I described, your change will only affect all new ships in your save but not the ones that already existed from before; like your own.

(@Armada: if you really want "HMS_Victory" to be unique, perhaps remove the 'refShip.Model = "Victory"' line from its definition in "Ships_init.c".)
Honestly, I don't mind either way. Are the other named paint schemes (e.g. Constitution) repaint options for their respective classes?

Ahaaa, good point @DavyJack!
I was thinking of 3D Sailing Mode, but indeed given the subject of this thread, your answer makes much more sense. :onya

Honestly, I don't mind either way. Are the other named paint schemes (e.g. Constitution) repaint options for their respective classes?
"USS_Constitution" is repaint-compatible with the various "BattleFrigate" types as they all have this in their definitions:
Code:
    refShip.Model = "Frigate"; //Armada

On the other hand, "GoldenHind" is not repaint-compatible with the similar, generic "RN_Galeon_L". ("HMS_Interceptor" is not repaint-compatible with other "Interceptor" variants and "FastCaravel" is not repaint compatible with other caravel types, as those are special versions with different stats.)

As @Pieter Boelen says, you probably need to give yourself the ship again.

First, press F11 to make sure the ship definitions are updated. Then go into any shipyard, click the "Appearance" tab, then change the ship's appearance to any other first rate. Then change it back to "HMS Victory". Different paint schemes are actually different ship models, so this ought to change your ship to the different model, then change it again to your preferred model.

If that doesn't work, put this into "console.c", just below the line "int limit;"
Code:
GiveShip2Character(pchar,"HMS_Victory","Victory",-1,ENGLAND,true,true);
Then press F12.

Then go into any shipyard, click the "Appearance" tab, then change the ship's appearance to any other first rate. Then change it back to "HMS Victory". Different paint schemes are actually different ship models, so this ought to change your ship to the different model, then change it again to your preferred model.
Would that really work too? :shock

I thought some settings were (attempted) to be kept if you do that, such as damage values.
Otherwise it could be used as an instant repair cheat.
But obviously some stuff changes too and I don't know what would and wouldn't be updated.

What you describe would be much easier than my version though!
I like it. :woot

I'm not sure if repainting will work, which is why I also gave the console line. ;) But I believe damage and upgrades are attributes on the player, whereas cabin and quarterdeck are attributes on the ship model. So changing ship model by repainting should change the cabin and quarterdeck to those of the new model.

Other ship stats certainly change if you repaint to another ship whose stats don't match those of your original ship. That's why, when "FastCaravel" (Bartolomeu o Portugues' special caravel) was repaint-compatible with the normal caravel, silly things could happen if you repainted "FastCaravel" to that normal one. The ship's maximum crew is a ship attribute and was reduced, but your current crew is a player attribute and was not reduced. So you ended up with more crew than maximum and the crew display bar didn't work until you lost some crew and were down to the ship's new maximum.

What might stop the repaint from updating the cabin and quarterdeck is if they're copied from ship attributes to player attributes. I don't know why that would be done, though. Having damage and upgrades as player attributes makes sense because if you repaint the ship to another colour scheme, it should keep all your upgrades and not get a free repair. Upgrades and damage can change as a result of normal gameplay. Cabin and quarterdeck should not!

Back