• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Want to help with ideas for a new things in game

Ah, that's a link forum, so it has to be changed in the ACP.
I've now renamed the FTP link to Modding Tools, and redirected it to the Tools folder in the old FTP. How's that?

Ah, that's a link forum, so it has to be changed in the ACP.
I've now renamed the FTP link to Modding Tools, and redirected it to the Tools folder in the old FTP. How's that?
Thanks! That's exactly what I had wanted to do as well.
I did look through the ACP, but since it is an extra tab called "Downloads", that is what I was searching for; didn't think to look at the normal "link forums". :facepalm

Anyway, thanks a lot! :cheers

Using real portraits for all of the player characters would make the game look more polished.
Can you elaborate on that? I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Also, just to be certain, are you referring to PotC: New Horizons or by any chance to Hearts of Oak?

Can you elaborate on that? I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Also, just to be certain, are you referring to PotC: New Horizons or by any chance to Hearts of Oak?

New Horizons. Like with the vanilla player character. He has a very good looking portrait while some of the ones you guys have added just has a screenshot of the 3d model as the portrait.

New Horizons. Like with the vanilla player character. He has a very good looking portrait while some of the ones you guys have added just has a screenshot of the 3d model as the portrait.
We've got several hundred character models, if not more. Can't remember the exact number.
Most of the PotC film characters now have a "photo" from the movie, which does look better.
And some historical characters have a painting as portrait too. But most of them are indeed screenshots.

We did have @Cassadar last year go through them all so that now at least all the borders match.
That wasn't the case before either, which really made it look like a mess. So it is better than it was. :cheeky

I definitely agree that some of the screenshots used for the portraits are better than others.
Getting someone to make actual artwork for them instead would be a huge request and is unlikely to ever happen though.
Unless you're volunteering... ;)

We've got several hundred character models, if not more. Can't remember the exact number.
Most of the PotC film characters now have a "photo" from the movie, which does look better.
And some historical characters have a painting as portrait too. But most of them are indeed screenshots.

We did have @Cassadar last year go through them all so that now at least all the borders match.
That wasn't the case before either, which really made it look like a mess. So it is better than it was. :cheeky

I definitely agree that some of the screenshots used for the portraits are better than others.
Getting someone to make actual artwork for them instead would be a huge request and is unlikely to ever happen though.
Unless you're volunteering... ;)

I'm not that great at drawing sorry :p But if you ever get in touch with an artist that wants to help with the mod, it would be a really cool thing to enhance.

But if you ever get in touch with an artist that wants to help with the mod, it would be a really cool thing to enhance.
True. Though I could think of another thing or 2 that artists could improve on if they'd like to as well. :wp

Pieter Boelen I have a another idea for the PotC New Horizons mod

when you sail the seas in iron man mode (or normal but than you have fast travel) its a bit quiet, the idea is maybe you can make some pirate songs when you are sailing without a battle. just for the feeling that you are a real pirate sailing that sails the sevens seas

btw can the mod make some music when sailing

There already is music when you're sailing.
If you want to replace that with songs rather than something orchestral like it is now, you can easily do that yourself.

Go to Sounds\Music and try to guess which soundfile = the current sailing music.
Search the PROGRAM folder for references to that sound file. Then you can see how it's done. And possibly change or add or whatever.
(Probably in sound.c)

The music files are in .ogg format in RESOURCE\SOUNDS\MUSIC; you can find free converts for that format on the Internet.

The music code itself is in PROGRAM\Sounds\alias\music_alias.c or something like that (can't check right now). You can edit that with Notepad.
Stock game sailing music is "spokplavanie" or something like that. Should be pretty straightforward.

Music files are to be found in "RESOURCE\Sounds\Music" and are in .ogg format. If you don't already have something which will play such files, get VLC:

VideoLAN - VLC: Official site

Within the game, music appears to be played via aliases which are defined in "PROGRAM\sound\ALIAS\music_standard.c". My guess is that if you add or change something there, you'll need to start a new game for it to take effect.

Back