• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Water graphics & improvement options?

simlei

Landlubber
Hi there,
first of all: coming back to POTC 7 years later and finding such a huge mod is the best that happened to me in the last time =) really really cool.

So, I thought I give it a try, and it works like a charm. The only thing is .. the graphics are somehow not as good as I remember it. On land, everything is okay, but on sea, the water looks good only in select areas of the screen, and then there are clear-defined parts of the water that look messy... Example:
Unbenannt.png

(All graphics options that I found are on high btw)
It is not always that bad -- If I turn the camera to another angle in the same scene, the water looks better.

Are there some screws that I can turn to give the game more free resources for the graphics? or other tweaking possibilities? I am interested in all of them =) But in the manual I found nothing but the config.exe configurator :/

My Graphic card is a GeForce 9600M GS. I am using Windows 7.

Thanks for your reply,
Simon Leischnig

Hi,

If you look in the games main directory you'll find the engine configuration file........change the resolution in that file and you'll be OK then.

damski.

The resolution? Like, the screen_x/y values? That didn't work. Why should it? just made the game screen bigger (playing in window mode), but the water looks the same.

Welcome, mate!

What modpack version are you using? We did trace the reason for what we call "oily sea" to a file that is in some stock game versions, but not all.
It is contained in this internal Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 7 WIP 2 file: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/build/b14_b1_p7_wip2.exe
That is to be installed on top of Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 6. You can give that a try and see if it looks any better then.

Moin moin,
thanks for your reply, Pieter Boelen!

I installed the patch 7 on top of patch 6, and wowzers, now it is looking definetely better! Not anymore hurtful to the eye, at all:
http://screencast.com/t/Zwhk71DND

Now I think, this is fixed for me. Thanks again! Triple motivational boost for playing the game now, very cool.
I you would bear with me for improvement possibilities: Is there any possibility to improve antialiaising or other things? anything? Is it limited to tweaking graphic card options, and which would I want to alter if yes?

Kind regards,
Simon Leischnig

:gday

For POTC look in your nvidia control panel for manage 3d settings---->program settings. You can either add your POTC.exe, or it will also work with CossacksII. For your vc an AF setting of 4x and AA of 8x is a good start. Try a setting of "quality" with all enhancements or "high quality" without. Or you could just set everything to max and see how it works out.

Back