• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Water Max Hight?

Luke159

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
Well the topic name is self explaining but anyway, the ships that have been set to sit as you would expect in the water can sometimes look like they are sinking due to the amount of water entering there decks, now i would like to lower what the maximum hight of the water is so that it doesn't happen so bad, small ships would have had water coming onto the decks in storms or very rough sea but not when its calm or mildly calm as is the case at the moment.

I found this piece of code but i'm not sure if thats the sea hight or if its refering to something different.

Code:
Weathers[n].Sea.Harmonics.h1 = "0.0, 2.5, 3.0, 0.0, 10.00";
Weathers[n].Sea.Harmonics.h2 = "90.0, 5.0, 1.5, 0.0, 50.00";
Weathers[n].Sea.Harmonics.h3 = "45.0, 8.0, 2.5, 0.0, 200.00";
Weathers[n].Sea.Harmonics.h4 = "13.0, 6.0, 1.0, 0.0, 150.00";
Weathers[n].Sea.Harmonics.h5 = "90.0, 50.0, 0.2, 0.0, 20.00";

Any idea's what that is too, its from the file Day.C located in Age of Pirates 2\Program\Weather\init\. Also what other files could effect the way the sea is coded?

Well the topic name is self explaining but anyway, the ships that have been set to sit as you would expect in the water can sometimes look like they are sinking due to the amount of water entering there decks, now i would like to lower what the maximum hight of the water is so that it doesn't happen so bad, small ships would have had water coming onto the decks in storms or very rough sea but not when its calm or mildly calm as is the case at the moment.

I found this piece of code but i'm not sure if thats the sea hight or if its refering to something different.

Code:
Weathers[n].Sea.Harmonics.h1 = "0.0, 2.5, 3.0, 0.0, 10.00";
Weathers[n].Sea.Harmonics.h2 = "90.0, 5.0, 1.5, 0.0, 50.00";
Weathers[n].Sea.Harmonics.h3 = "45.0, 8.0, 2.5, 0.0, 200.00";
Weathers[n].Sea.Harmonics.h4 = "13.0, 6.0, 1.0, 0.0, 150.00";
Weathers[n].Sea.Harmonics.h5 = "90.0, 50.0, 0.2, 0.0, 20.00";

Any idea's what that is too, its from the file Day.C located in Age of Pirates 2\Program\Weather\init\. Also what other files could effect the way the sea is coded?
:gday Go to Programs/ships/ships init.c, go to the ship u wanna edit and change the value in
refShip.WaterLine = 0.03;
You'll find by changing the value to 0 will bring the ship up! By adding a minus or plus in front of the value. Like = -0 or +0 you can add values like instead of 0.03 to say 0.3 etc! Save your org file first so not to be sorry when things go wrong!! You'll find that the boats like the Tartane don't have values but sure u can add the line refShips as well!
If you stuff up, the Engine can give you the finger,lol and not start hence the warning to save the org. ships ini.c!!!
Enjoy :keith

Thanks for your help but i'm trying to make the ships sit as they should in the water or as close to as i can, the problem is some ships seem to be more like sponges than ships with water coming up through the ships hull. If by reducing the maximum hight the water can go might stop the ships looking like they are sinking as soon as a wave hits them or i there case goes through them.

take a look at \program\weather\WhrSea.c

after a quick reading it looks like thats your needed file. btw i have no time to test it today.

cu NW

Thanks Nightwatcher i will look into that file later on, oh and i forgot to say welcome to the forum in the other topic, so welcome bud. :onya

Question Mates. Do any edits I make to waterline numbers require a new game to take effect??? It doesn't seem like values I change make any difference.

MK

Question Mates. Do any edits I make to waterline numbers require a new game to take effect??? It doesn't seem like values I change make any difference.

MK

Yep most files you edit require new games, the ship_init is one of them. :onya

MK

Yep most files you edit require new games, the ship_init is one of them. :onya

Except in case of weather and global files editing. Those, and thank God on that, dont needs new game start as they are not recorded in save file.

Any init file requires a new game (as it is the inital file ;)), files like quest_reaction.c dont

Drat! I thought that's what you guys would say. :modding That's a shame, I was really enjoying this game. Oh well looks like a new game then. I did figure it out myself last night when I experimented starting new games with different ships after I'd done edits.

Luke, I know that you were porting as fast as you could man, but several ships I've come across are sitting way too low. The Pinnace11 has her gunwales in the drink. I finally captured one, but it looks like its slowly sinking. There are some others I edited as well. On your build three I will give you my waterline edits if you want them. I will look at more if you have no time. :yes

MK

Luke, I know that you were porting as fast as you could man, but several ships I've come across are sitting way too low. The Pinnace11 has her gunwales in the drink. I finally captured one, but it looks like its slowly sinking. There are some others I edited as well. On your build three I will give you my waterline edits if you want them. I will look at more if you have no time. :yes

MK

Thanks MK that will be very helpfull. :onya

Sorry for the double post, but for anyone that looks up this topic in the future and wants to fix the waterlines of their ships, the following upload has fixed the waterlines of all ships in COAS to include all additional added ported ships from the JScombined mod and from POTC for use in COAS - as of the date of this posting. If you have Luke159's Combined POTC ported ships mod or RTBL mod you can simply replace the Ships init file with this one. If not, you can simply cut and paste the waterline values for the ships you would like to fix. I have meticulously looked at every ship. They all look really good. Luke will likely incorporate this data into update 3 for the Combined ported ships mod.

EDIT: New file posted taking into account ship waterlines loaded and unloaded.

As Captain Maggee states above you will have to start a new game after you replace the file/values in order for them to take effect.

MK

Thank you MK :onya , yes i will be updating the waterlines in combined ships part 3, i have put so far 4 ships to be ported over. :will

Kin ye fellers convert ol' Fred Bob's Dog o' War into a hydrofoil, eh?! :cheeky

LOL xD: I probably could. :razz I had a lot of fun playin with the values. I messed around and had ships sailing with only their masts above water and others floating on their keels. None of that in this file though. All strictly - on the level - no pun intended. xD:

I did actually bring the Dog of War much higher out of the water in the new values. I think it looks way better. :yes That ship is so freakin fast anyway it doesn't need to have the foils added.

MK

Mates, I'm finding some interesting and even surprising inconsistencies in the waterlines. I am hunting down the modifiers. When you take on a merchant mission with some ships, your ship sits lower in the water. I tested it with different loads with Pinnace11 and it indeed has different waterline heights based on how laden the ship is. I thought at first that my edits just hadn't taken. With further testing I found different heights to be the case. I was really surprised to see this fidelity and haven't seen it with every ship I've looked at. The values I entered were what aesthetically and historically looked right, but if the game considers those base entries for ships to be empty values, then I need to make the effected ships even higher. If I had known this to be the case I would have done things differently making the waterline values even higher as I often play with ships half or fully laden. I will let you know more as I keep playing around with this. I've already made more edits to compensate for empty versus full ships considerations. I'm actually quite happy to find that this level of fidelity is in the game. :yes

MK

So that will explain this line of code then.
Code:
refship.SubSeaDependWeight			= 1.3;

Maybe you can edit that rather than the waterline that way the ships will not look weird when not fully loaded.

Yup, Thanks Luke, :onya That is indeed one of the modifiers I'm playing with. I still think there's another one, if I'm wrong I just need to make more dramatic changes to the weight numbers. Got too tired last night to continue testing. :urgh

MK

Yup, Thanks Luke, :onya That is indeed one of the modifiers I'm playing with. I still think there's another one, if I'm wrong I just need to make more dramatic changes to the weight numbers. Got too tired last night to continue testing. :urgh

MK

Ah when you finish it will be so worth the time and a great update for any ship wether it be RTBL or for the vanilla version. I will try to find any other modifiers that effect ships weight, it could be in something like battle interface but thats just a guess.

Maybe a file in the Age of Pirates 2\Program\SEA_AI folder or maybe this line of code from ShipsUtilites located in Age of Pirates 2\Program\scripts will have some effects. :shrug

Code:
rRealShip.Weight		  = sti(rRealShip.Weight) + rand(sti(rRealShip.Weight)/20) - rand(sti(rRealShip.Weight)/20);

Ahh yes! :onya Let me mess around with that line and see what happens. I really want to do this right. Once I have a good baseline of results I will apply them to all ships so that you do indeed see a different visual result for lightly laden to heavy laden ships. It's obvious the developers wanted to do something with this, but just didn't take the time to meaningfully apply it. The results should be visually rewarding. I'm testing now, so hopefully I'll have something by tomorrow, cause I really want to play badly. :b:

:will I'm also really serious about getting this gunrunner mod off the ground. I've been furiously downloading and reading all I can about how mods were accomplished in POTC. There are even some guides and literature not on this site. I've been comparing a lot of things and theres some really close similarities in some places with COAS code.

MK

Back