• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

What i'm working on

Good, good. I figured it'd be the same. :yes

I do think it's worthwhile trying to figure out the National Ships mod in CoAS.
It wasn't so hard to do in PotC when I finally bothered to try. :no

That is something we want to implement into COAS, if we can get all the files together for what files was edited in POTC we can then start working on getting it to work in COAS.

It only required editing of three files:
- ships_init.c
- Random on-sea ship generation file
- Random shipyard ship generation file

I will have a look at that thanks Pieter. :onya

Finally i think i may have found the problem ship, i was constantly looking in shipsutilities, ships_init and ships.H for the problem. I re-oranged every ships in the battleinterface.C file to be in the same order as they are in ships_init so i could see if there was a ship missing, none was found. That elliminated that file from that idea, then i just did the same to pictures config and there i noticed that the wartartan was SHIP_wartartane when it should be SHIP_war_tartane, this is the same problem we had in CMV3 and was fixed in CMV3.1, not sure how this problem has made it back into my game game. Anyway i have fixed that problem just hope it was the problem coursing the message "ship_68 has no name and could not be generated" or what ever the message was.

Thanks guy's. :onya

So far its all going well, i have now removed both the 12 Gun Cutter and HMS Bounty and replced them with 2 Sloop's, i've also added the latest ship to be released by "pgargon " the HMS Speedy, its name is "Speedy" its a Brig, but we have the following names already for the Brig's. Light Brig, Fast Brig, Heavy Brig and Brig. I couldn't think of another name, i was think Merchant Brig but i wasn't sure about that name so i left it as Speedy for now. These ships need testing which will be done soon.

I have found a few referances to A merchant Brig

Reference 1

Referance 2

Reference 3

Merchant-Brig-under-Reefed-Topsails.jpg

Gilbert-P-J-Merchant-Brig-en-route-to-Brest-300x189.jpg

Thanks FB. :onya

So the name will be Merchant Brig then. :dance

The 2 new Sloops course the game to crash so i have removed them, and the game works fine. Not sure what the problem is with those Sloops but i won't add them or any other ships. The 12 gun cutter has been removed and so has the HMS Bounty.

Always happy to help :))

I love all these neat historical referances... :dance

Well here's another http://www.aviationartstore.com/uss_constitution.htm

Because of that page (which was a very nice read) i have made it so the Constitution can mount 24Ibs guns, previously i had used the refernece from the movie Masters & Comanders.

Sailor crew fixed, this was really annoying and forced you to overload many of the ships to reach the full speed of the ship. Now you will not have that problem and can sail with minimum crew, originally i thourght it was the minimum crew that effected the ships speed. This fix also fixes the problem where some ships could overload up to as many as 100 crew , no more large ship upkeep prices for those who like to sail with a full crew.

I have started fine tunning the sea now, i want it to be rough through the night, not too much though. Through the early hours of the morning i want the sea to start to settle down to a more relaxed calm feel to it. I want it to be at its calmest through the day and gradually start getting rough through the evening. So far this is working out well and i'm happy with the current changes made but much more work is still to be done to fine tune it. and test the changes as i make them.

Here's some pictures of how it looks at the moment.

Cannon duplicating bug, this one has been annoying, i fixed it once but some how it came back. I have fixed it again, was my fault this time though due to removing some calibures (not currently in CMV3.1.5) not sure why the cannon bug came back in that version in less i didn't pass the update on which is most possible the reason for it. The good news is i have tested almost every single ship and gone through every single calibure each of those ships can mount. None of the ships i tested which was a good 90% of the ships had any problems after fixing the bug. Hopefully now this will be the end of this bug and we can get on with sailing. This fix will obviously be includedx in CMV3.2. :onya

Update, i have just seen something i haven't seen in COAS at all since playing it. Shark's are there yes, you can see the effects of the water as they pass by but i have never seen an actual fin sticking up out of the water as they swim passed. With the new sea update this seem's to have fixed what could only be desribed as, as a bug. Well doesn't matter its fixed now. I just hope they don't jump out of the water like POTC giving you heart attacks as you pear through your spyglass. xD:

Well i almost leaped out of my skin when the shark showed its mouth out the water. Wasn't funny but was nice to see, even though my heart was in my mouth. I will try to take a picture of it when it happens next time. Oh and because i have noticed you only see the sharks taking a bite when the sea is very calm, so i have made a few changes to make it more calmer and see what happens.

Update:
And here we go, after making some changes to the sea the shark's head is seen above the water.

Time to update you all on what i have been working on and what is now finished.

First off all ships large imagies have been fixed, thanks to Craiggo for explaing how to do it i was able to give him a hand and get them all sorted out. The thumbnails however are still something we are trying to work out.

Canons and culverines updated, a few changes have been made most noticable will be the culverine only range up to 32Ibs, that means 34, 36 and 42Ibs culverines have been removed. 68Ibs cannons have been removed leaving just the 92Ibs cannons for the forts.

Forts range has been fixed, now forts have the same range as there cannons which as you already know are the 92Ibs cannons.

Ships stats have been fixed to be more balanced for better gameplay value's, these fixes include cargohold, speed, hull hp, crew and prices. No longer will you see a Frigate costing you 500k and selling captured ships for such large amounts of money. Ships speeds and cargoholds have been based around the vanilla value's so you will not see a MOW been able to hold 12000 cargo, they do obviously still have a large cargohold though but they also had them in the stock game.

Ships hp has been increased because you will see that the shot damage ratio's have been reset to stock value's, this welcomes the return of RTBL which is almost finished now. RTBL will mean longer battles, this is done via a switch which you either turn on or off before starting your game. If you choose at a later date you no longer want to play with which ever you picked ie, stock value's or RTBL then you must start a new game because switching to the other setting will not take effect till a new game is started. This is the same for all switches that have been added.

Realistic spyglass, thanks to Ashley for the mod. This now has a switch where you have use either realistic spyglass (no info about the ship other than captains name and the name of the ship) or the stopck settings which gives you all the info depending on your spyglass of course.

Cannon reloading times have now been given a switch so those who would rather have fast reload times can, while those who like the more realistic reload times don't have to download a seperate file they only need to turn the mod on.

Realistic ship purchase, this will mean no large ships will appear for sale in shipyards while the stock value will allow all ships be be purchasable. This is done via a switch.

Culverines range compared to there cannon counter parts have been updated to give a more realistic feel to them.

After a few day's trying to find out what was wrong i have finally managed to fix the one thing thats been bugging me for a while. Captains now when approached at taverns will offer you missions and when joining you will most likely have ships of there own (See picture bellow).

Back