• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

What i'm working on

Congratulations, mate! :woot

You don't even HAVE to put anything in there. Eventually you might just run into things you'd like to use it for and it'll fill itself up soon enough. But as an example, here's part of the PotC Build 14 Beta 1 version:
Code:
void ExecuteConsole()
{
ref pchar = GetMainCharacter();
if (!bSeaActive) ref lcn = &Locations[FindLocation(pchar.location)];
ref ch;
int i;
int limit;

// Models and Times (for screenshot-making)
// ------------------
//	GiveModel2Player("Jack",true);
//	SetCurrentTime(14.00, 0);

// Give ship
// ------------------
//	GiveShip2Character(pchar,"NL_Amsterdam","Amsterdam",-1,HOLLAND,true,true);
//	GiveShip2Character(pchar,"BlackPearl","Black Pearl",-1,ENGLAND,true,true);
//	GiveShip2Character(pchar,"CursedDutchman","Flying Dutchman",-1,PIRATE,true,true);
//	GiveShip2Character(pchar,"SteamFrigateFR","Jeanne d'Arc",-1,FRANCE,true,true);
/*
if(!Checkattribute(pchar,"cheatship")) Pchar.cheatship = 0;
int con = sti(Pchar.cheatship);
if(con<SHIP_TYPES_QUANTITY)
{
GiveShip2Character(pchar,ShipsTypes[con].id,"Test Ship",-1,ENGLAND,true,true);
Pchar.cheatship = con +1;
}
TraceAndLog("*************************** Ship : " + ShipsTypes[con].id + " , Index : " + con + " ");
*/
// Give items
// ------------------
//	GiveItem2Character(PChar, "compass3");
//	EquipCharacterByItem(pchar, "compass3");
//	GiveItem2Character(pchar, "spyglass4");
//	EquipCharacterByItem(pchar, "spyglass4");
//	GiveItem2Character(pchar, "clock2");
//	EquipCharacterByItem(pchar, "clock2");
//	GiveItem2Character(pchar,"blade26+3");
//	EquipCharacterByItem(pchar, "blade26+3");
//	GiveItem2Character(pchar,"pistol3_14");
//	EquipCharacterByItem(pchar, "pistol3_14");
/*
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapKhaelRoa");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapAntigua");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapCayman");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapConceicao");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapCuba");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapDouwesen");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapFalaiseDeFleur");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapGuadeloupe");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapHispaniola");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapIslaMuelle");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapOxbay");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapQuebradasCostillas");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapRedmond");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapSaintMartin");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapTurks");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapAruba");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapCuracao");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapEleuthera");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapRedmond_Dungeon");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapOxbay_Dungeon");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapOxbay_Cave");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapDouwesen_Cave");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapKhaelRoa_TempleGround");
GiveItem2Character(pchar, "mapKhaelRoa_TempleUpper");
*/

// Reload to location
// ------------------
//	DoQuestReloadToLocation("Redmond_port", "reload", "Sea_2_back" ,"");
//	SetCharacterShipLocation(Pchar, "Redmond_port");
//	DoQuestReloadToLocation("Oxbay_Port", "reload", "reload1" ,"");
//	SetCharacterShipLocation(Pchar, "Oxbay_Port");

// Capture Colony
// ------------------
//	CaptureTownForNation("Douwesen", HOLLAND);
//	LaunchCaptureColony(pchar, "Santo_Domingo");

//	DEBUG = 1;
Of course CoAS will not have all these functions available. For one thing, GiveModel2Player, GiveShip2Character, CaptureTownForNation and LaunchCaptureColony are functions we wrote ourselves.

Couldn't/ wouldn't have been able to do it without your help Piter, thanks bud. :onya

I'm sure it will fill up even quicker when we get some vetern modder and codders working on COAS. :hmm

Update

Ever watched as a ship rigs its sails?

Well with the new wind settings all ships will rig there sails if the wind is not strong enough. Here is a screen after all ships rigged there sails due to the wind speed.

As soon as the wind picked up the sails came down and they happily continued on there way. Till i rased the jolly roger then they all turned and began firing at me as i got within range of them. xD:

Thanks bud. :onya

I'm going to have a much needed rest and get an earlier night than normal. xD

Update:
I have been going over somethings in shiputilities and i have fixed a few things that could explain why i was getting ship_68 could not be generated message, this problem i'm having is not part of CMV3.1 so don't worry it will not effect your game and you will not get that error message ingame. This is with realistic ship purchase turned on which will be available in CMV3.2.

I have updated all ships in the shiputilities, ships.H and ship_init to have the name ie SHIP_XX in caps as they should be because almost every ship ported over was in lower case. Wasn't anything that effected the game but just makes it look cleaner and might improve game stability (i said might). The game is much more stable than the stock game anyway, infact i haven't had a CTD for a long time now. :dance

The cannon damage mulitplier has had the RTBL option set so you can switch between realistic battles or stock settings. This should please alot who don't like the long battles RTBL brought with it.

Thumb nails for original ships that did have them has been fixed, the ships that didn't have any is still a problem and requires someone with the know how to put them right (i don't have the know how for that)

48Ibs, 68Ibs and 92Ibs cannons have had there damage multiplier's increased so watch out because those forts will be even more deadly now. There damage multiplier's are set to stock value's. They was 48Ibs = 8.0 stock was = 10.0 92Ibs was =10.0 stock was =15.0.

Well i figured to bring more realism to the game we require the calibures to be more realistic so i have looked at the ships_init file and changed every ship to mount max calibure to smaller calibures for most ships because originally they was set depending on ship type and class. I have given for example the Suprise 16Ibs cannons and the Constitution 18Ibs, i think it was 14Ibs cannons the Suprise had mounted in M&C though. :shrug

I have also made it so you can't upgrade to 48Ibs cannons, i was thinking of making it so you could only upgrade to a max of 36Ibs cannons but i don't know, any thourght here would be helpfull. Personally i'm thinking that both 42 and 48Ibs cannons should be amde as specail calibures only available on large ships so they should be left locked.

Well i figured to bring more realism to the game we require the calibures to be more realistic so i have looked at the ships_init file and changed every ship to mount max calibure to smaller calibures for most ships because originally they was set depending on ship type and class. I have given for example the Suprise 16Ibs cannons and the Constitution 18Ibs, i think it was 14Ibs cannons the Suprise had mounted in M&C though. :shrug

I have also made it so you can't upgrade to 48Ibs cannons, i was thinking of making it so you could only upgrade to a max of 36Ibs cannons but i don't know, any thourght here would be helpfull. Personally i'm thinking that both 42 and 48Ibs cannons should be amde as specail calibures only available on large ships so they should be left locked.

The only problem I have with not being able to upgrade to 42lb cannons is that many ships that generally support 42lb cannons can be purchased or captured with a base max of 36, which isn't really a big deal. I could, however, see it being an annoying inconvenience.

In all honesty, I don't know exactly how the 48lb+ cannons have been implemented, but I cannot find historical reference to naval vessels ever using bores over 42lbs, except for a few references to small numbers (usually two or three ) of 68lb carronades, which were popular for about 40 years beginning during the American Revolution. So in my opinion, the largest cannon available should be the 42lb.

I agree with Dark, just cause we have guns over 42lbs, doesn't mean ships should mount them. Other than a MOW, I can't fathom a gun this massive on a ship, especially if the whole ship has them, not just one or two.

Ok this is what i have done so far, 42 and 48Ibs are still in the game however you can't upgarde to either of those calibures. 48Ibs is only for quest ships such as the SoleyRu and Flying Dutchman. 42Ibs is for MOW's and other similar ships. I have edited the ship_init file and have started testing to see if any ships are generated with 42Ibs cannons other than those set to do so ie MOW's.

Thanks, and this will please you too then MK. 34 and 36Ibs culverines have been removed. Cannons still have those calibures but culverines for added realism reasons have been removed. The culverines now have the expected advantages over there counterpart cannons, in CMV3 it was a 50 yard difference, in patch 2 i increased that to 100 yards now with the 34 and 36Ibs culverines removed that has increased to 150 yards. Giving culverines a much more appealing reason to buy them even though they are weaker than cannons, take longer to load and cost more. Which was the case in the stock game aswell and has alway's been that way. I never intended to make culverines become well pointless so by removing those two calibures it has added the realistic feel to them and a more satisfiying feeling when using them. Also the 32Ibs culverines have the range of the 42Ibs cannons but the damage ability of the 36Ibs cannons, in the stock game the culverines had a similar damage multipler to the 24Ibs cannons, so the current setting might be unrealistic i'm not completly sure there maybe you can put some input into this area MK?

Thanks, and this will please you too then MK. 34 and 36Ibs culverines have been removed. Cannons still have those calibures but culverines for added realism reasons have been removed. The culverines now have the expected advantages over there counterpart cannons, in CMV3 it was a 50 yard difference, in patch 2 i increased that to 100 yards now with the 34 and 36Ibs culverines removed that has increased to 150 yards. Giving culverines a much more appealing reason to buy them even though they are weaker than cannons, take longer to load and cost more. Which was the case in the stock game aswell and has alway's been that way. I never intended to make culverines become well pointless so by removing those two calibures it has added the realistic feel to them and a more satisfiying feeling when using them. Also the 32Ibs culverines have the range of the 42Ibs cannons but the damage ability of the 36Ibs cannons, in the stock game the culverines had a similar damage multipler to the 24Ibs cannons, so the current setting might be unrealistic i'm not completly sure there maybe you can put some input into this area MK?

In fact, real Culverins had a higher muzzle velocity than standard cannons (hence the longer range). This also meant higher velocity on impact, generally resulting in greater damage. Sounds like this is probably the most realistic the artillery in this game has ever been. The culverins' reload times will be their greatest drawback. Note that they should also be heavier than their cannon equivalent (I don't know if they are or not right now), making the added range and damage a direct trade-off with reload times and cargo capacity. This would be particularly notable in lower rate warships, as they already have lower carrying capacities and can generally carry larger guns.

Edit: On this vein, I actually would suggest setting the damage of all culverin to that of the cannon caliber above (or even two calibers above), perhaps returning the range advantage to 100 yards (to give cannon a fair chance), and increase their weight significantly. Perhaps a small price increase may be in line as well.

I know these changes are a bit drastic and probably a lot of work. If consensus is that this is a good idea, I will gladly make the necessary changes myself (with a point in the right direction). I'm sure my specific ideas would need some tweaking to be balanced, but it's something to think about, at least.

As it stands the damage is set to the second cannon calibure above there equivalent so that os already set, now for the weight, check the culverines was made to be slightly heavire. They can be set to be like the damage multiplier two calibures above there equivalent which would drastically effect there weight. The range has been set as it was in the stock game to a 100 yard difference between culverines and there cannon equivalent.

As it stands the damage is set to the second cannon calibure above there equivalent so that os already set, now for the weight, check the culverines was made to be slightly heavire. They can be set to be like the damage multiplier two calibures above there equivalent which would drastically effect there weight. The range has been set as it was in the stock game to a 100 yard difference between culverines and there cannon equivalent.

Oh, so you have already made some of these changes? I know you had said the 32lb were set that way, but I wasn't sure if you had done the same for all sizes. I know that culverins are a bit heavier. My thoughts were that since - particularly in the smaller calibers (up to 24lb or so) - culverins will be much better than their cannon equivalents, that they would need to have some added drawbacks, to make the decision a difficult one. Merchant players, therefore, would most likely choose to use cannons, because cargo space is key to them, whereas someone like me would face a difficult decision; since I primarily derive my profit from the boarding and looting of merchant vessels, I could obviously use the cargo space. However, because of the range limitations on grape shot (which is instrumental for me, as I prefer to use small-ish ships, and rarely over-crew them), the culverins would be a better choice for their range... Then there are factors like the effects of the weight on maneuverability... Trade-offs, my friend :)
Then again, it sounds like you've already got things balanced pretty well, already. So perhaps we should see what people think of your current configuration before we go screwing it up, eh? xD:

I dunno, I'm just spewing ideas, really. :shrug

Its idea's that keeps the band wagan rolliong so to speak, but in any event i have yet to test the changes out. Been more of a merchant player early on i lean towards the cannons more but later on i lean towards the culverines because i like to capitilise on the strengths of the culverines and wealnesses of my foe's. xD:

Ok finally got RTBL inplemented as a switch into COAS, testing went well and works out very well. Not as difficult as it was in previous community mods but not as easy as the none RTBL settings. For those who are not aware of what RTBL is it means Real Time Battle Light and because a balance could never be found in the community mods it was removed. RTBL made its last apperance in CMV2 as a addon for CMV2. In CMV3 we removed it and ellected to go for a more stock game value/ realistic value. RTBL has now made its appearance to CMV3 but it will not be like it was. It will be more focused on a longer battle been more realistic but at the sametime not to realistic that a battle can take several real hours. From the _mod_on_off file located in programs you can switch RTBL on or off, by default it will be off, as will realistic ship purachse, and srealistic spyglass.

To give you a more defined idea of what they are, realistic spyglass removes the stats from the spyglass, so you will see nothing. The stock settings will leave the stats in place so each spyglass has its own advantages.

Realistic ship purchase removed big ships from the shipyards, Corvette's, Frigates, MOW's etc have to be captures while trade ships like the Fleut, Caravel, Pinnace remain as purchaseable (for now). If evidance is shown that you could not purchase those ships then they will be removed too.

When it comes to spyglasses, in PotC better spyglasses do enlarge better, even if they don't show anything else. Also in PotC, because of the Different Flags mod and the National Ships mod, you can recognize other ships' nationalities yourself based on colour scheme, ship type and flag. However, without such a feature in CoAS, it could be quite a bit harder to play with a spyglass that gives you no information...

True, i have turned on the ability to view nations through each spyglass. In COAS the better the spyglass the better the view through them and the further you can see too.

Back