• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

What is the best mod to play CoAS?

Alex1989

Landlubber
I have received AoP 2 physical copy as a gift from my friend, I plan to install mods for it, but I do not know which is the best mod for it, I heard about the Combined Mod and Gentlemen of fortune, me, being a relative new guy here and AoP in general do not know which to install, which is the best mod to install, I am looking for a mod with a lot of ships and characters, and if it changes the system requirements needed to play the game, how much is the change?

:ahoy

Everyone has an opinion and mine is that GOF2 with some of the other mods like The Black Knight's sound pack is the best all around mod.

The GOF2.5 Supermod is also very good and has 4 sound packs to choose from. It is an overall calmer experience due to less dramatic music. I downgrade it because the ships react to the waves in a more jerky and mechanical manner than they do in GOF2.

As for hardware requirements, the more ships there are fighting each other the lower the frame rate will be. Your own hardware will determine how big the battles will be that you engage in and how big the ships will be. I find that GOF2 runs better than POTC on my system so I get into some pretty big battles. Then there are some players who get crashes when it rains. :shrug

Everyone has an opinion and mine is that GOF2 with some of the other mods like The Black Knight's sound pack is the best all around mod.

The GOF2.5 Supermod is also very good and has 4 sound packs to choose from. It is an overall calmer experience due to less dramatic music. I downgrade it because the ships react to the waves in a more jerky and mechanical manner than they do in GOF2.

As for hardware requirements, the more ships there are fighting each other the lower the frame rate will be. Your own hardware will determine how big the battles will be that you engage in and how big the ships will be. I find that GOF2 runs better than POTC on my system so I get into some pretty big battles. Then there are some players who get crashes when it rains. :shrug

GOF 2.0, ok, with or without the 1.5 patch? I am reading about it and it interests me.

in any case, GOF 2 it is!

P.S. a few questions - is the black pearl in it? How many characters are playable in the mod? is Beatrice (AoP CT version, I like this version a lot, I nicknamed her the "Crimson Corsair") playable?

I am playing with the 1.5 patch installed and it runs fine.

Yes the Black Pearl is there.

There are a bunch of characters and I do believe that Beatrice is one of them.

I am playing with the 1.5 patch installed and it runs fine.

Yes the Black Pearl is there.

There are a bunch of characters and I do believe that Beatrice is one of them.

Excellent! Final question:AoP2 with GOF 2 + 1.5 installed, how much HD space it takes up?

It is just a little above this thread in the sticky section. I should mention that my GOF2 install has a lot of extra stuff in it like multiple versions of ships as I keep the original versions when I modify one.
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/city-of-abandoned-ships-historical-immersion-gentlemen-of-fortune-supermod.22493/

I have made my decision - GOF 2.5 HI

since I have AOP:CT with the HI mod, I will have a bit of a head start with GOF 2.5 HI, also the music feature convinced me to chose 2.5, however I read that is not as stable as 2.0, the same thing was said by a buddy of mine about the AOP:CT version of the mod, despite what he said I have had ZERO crashes in the countless hours spent playing the mod, so experiences may vary from user to user, I guess. Since I am using the mouse touchpad on my laptop to play the game, the mouse problem might not be a big issue, if 2.5 HI gives me a lot of problems, I will switch to 2.1.5 as back-up although the music feature is absent (Unless GOF 3.0 is made or someone combines the stability of 2.1.5 and the music and gameplay of HI.)

Thank you Hylie and UncleJohnny for your help in this thread.

If you will excuse me, I think it's time for the Crimson Corsair to paint the Caribbean red with blood once again.

:ship

About the mouse issue, that was my Logitech G500 mouse drivers messing up the game. I have a different mouse now and it plays smoothly.

Back