• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

What's The State of Play

Badger

Landlubber
Ahoy Mates

Badger here, back again after my annual re-installation of "PotC", modded to loveliness thanks to the ongoing efforts of the folk here at "Pirates Ahoy".

For a while now though I've been staring furtively at a young pretender to the throne, in the shape (as you must already have guessed) of "City of Abandoned Ships" and this time around it has come closer than ever before, to securing a purchase and usurping the pride of place previously occupied by its older brother. This I'll admit is in no small measure due to the fact that I could now get it for a mere fifteen of your squids!!

But still a niggling doubt remains and keeps the wind from my sails. It's possible that some of you, the older ones, the uglier ones with whiter whiskers and altogether fewer teeth, might remember me from posts long past and possibly even my terrible shyness of all things technical and by extension, any game which might be riddled with game breaking creepy crawlies and/or copy protection which might try to make me cry!

So at the risk of rehashing old topics which I sure have been well covered in the past, but which my time limited dabbling in "search" failed to bring up many of, might I just bend your ears long enough to ask you a few questions, from a fifty week land lubber, who is now considering where to spend this years fortnight at sea. (You know there's always the possibility that the right ship would keep me out there longer. ;) )

Starforce: Does it or Doesn't it?
This fella has always made me very nervous (as again a few of you might already know) in that anything that breaks..I can't fix! But I did take the gamble with "Black Shark" and not only did I have no problems, but that newest version of this notorious software was virtually invisible to the Badgers eye.

One of the thread I found in "search" seemed to be suggesting that only the Russian version of "CoAS" has it in any case, but can somebody clarify this? Or if it is there, is it the shiny new version being used and is anyone here actually having any problems with it?

Patches: Should I or Shouldn't I?
"Search" found me a thread which indicated (or seemed to) that the official patches are now up to 1.3, although a quick check on "Gamershell" revealed none at all.

Should I be going for patches or heading straight to the safe port of mods and if so which is the mod fer me? Arghghgh! Sorry... I was bound to slip into pirate speak someplace in this post, there now it's out of my system. I promise. Reading between the lines, am I right to suspect that the mods and the original quests might be in some way mutually exclusive?

Well I guess that's it as I've already taken up too much of your valuable sailing time. It's nice to be back on the seas again and even contemplating a new adventure. Hopefully I'll be able to rely on you salty sea dogs to help keep my doubloons where they belong and ensure I avoid a dose of the scurvy.

All the best
Badger

No Starforce, it has TAGES (like the Witcher)

Patches :no
The English version of the game is 1.3 and the Russian version is 1.0 and needs a patch :yes

There is a couple of BUGS in the vanilla version though

I too have been thinking about acquiring COAS. I have had bad experiences in the past with 2 things. Antipiracy software installed with the program, and the requirement that the cd be in the drive to run the program. Is there a way to delete or disable these two things?

Listen to the captain. ;)
Thanks for the quick replies chaps, (and hello again Pieter.) I think I should finally take the plunge and have a go at this.

The only remaining question then is that of which version to play. You've let me know that it'll come out of the box as 1.3, so that's as officially patched as it's going to get, but you've also confirmed that it's still bugged to a degree. So my question from above comes back into play. Are the vanilla 1.3 and the latest combined mod mutually exclusive. So if I want to play the original storyline, do I have to do so before I mod up.

Badger

The Combined Modpack, as far as I'm aware, contains a bunch of fixes, convenience mods and... other stuff (not sure myself, truth be told).
However, the general idea is that it makes the game better and not breaks anything.
Not sure of the state of the Combined Modpack at the moment,
but probably there is something to be said for getting it before starting play. :yes

The Combined Modpack, as far as I'm aware, contains a bunch of fixes, convenience mods and... other stuff (not sure myself, truth be told).
However, the general idea is that it makes the game better and not breaks anything.
Not sure of the state of the Combined Modpack at the moment,
but probably there is something to be said for getting it before starting play. :yes
Ok thanks Pieter. Got a despatch note today so it's en-route! :onya Will be keeping a weather eye open for the postman :keith

Badger

My recommendation though: Don't forget PotC!
^ You knew it was coming... :razz

My recommendation for any that haven't, is that you take the plunge into COAS!!! :will The CMv3 Mod offers immense improvements and additions over both vanilla and the previous mods. The mod offers literally hundreds of additions in the way of dozens of new characters, new textures, uniforms, weapons, items, sound effects, visual effects, new/modified questlines and of course new ships. Many of these new/modified ships skins and models developed by some really talented artists(Pgargon), are unique to CMv3 and I would confidently venture to say that COAS CMv3 now offers more ships than the POTC Builds. The new textures and sounds bring a whole new level of immersive game play into the mix. I felt like I was playing a brand new game when I started CMv3. Even the ocean color has been stunningly enhanced which was an earlier complaint. POTC still offers more places to go and more quests as well as the ability to sail anywhere in first person mode, but the COAS mod team are working dilligently to shorten this gap. In my mind the cleaner visualization offered by DirectX 9 and the new cleaner textures as well as the better sword play controls make COAS CMv3 the better choice if you don't have tons of time to play. Don't get me wrong, you can still spend weeks (even months) growing your character and crew and going after all the questlines in CMv3 if you want longer more immersive gameplay. I just wanted to make the distinction that you could still spend even more time in the extensive POTC Build mod world.

The base game is available from several reliable sellers online at a very afforable price (see forum posts). As far as install and bugginess are concerned, the bugs are minimal due to all the extensive testing by Luke 159, Officerpuppy and Captain Drow (among others) . There are no issues with protection utilities and the mod even comes packaged in an EXE installer or if you prefer in seperate RAR Resource and Program folders if you want to install manually. If you haven't been paying attention, CMv3 is a formidible and serious mod now and you will have serious fun playing it. This game is a blast! I forget everything real life when I go in.

So just do it......you know you want to! :onya

MK

Truth be told, I haven't much of an idea what the Combined Modpack V3 is and isn't.
I know what V1 was (hey, I more-or-less compiled that one myself) and that was some fixes,
convenience mods, ships and characters. I'd actually really like a good write-up of what's new in V3.
Is there any such write-up somewhere? Oh; and is it on the ModDB yet?

And how about the CoAS modders have a look at our dear SOURCE CODE NEWS yet?
That's some serious good news right there and makes me look forward to the day
when we'll have a Storm 2.8 based game combined the best of PotC+AoP+CoAS+modpacks!

Officerpuppy has done an admirable job of keeping the lists of additions and changes up to date. The news has been posted to MODDB. I would have done more here if I'd had the time. Unfortuneatly God and Country have made many demands of me the last several months. More time for myself is on the horizon. I whole heartedly agree on the combining of all the great work from the Storm based offerings in one uber pirate package of doom! Below is OP's last post on CMv3. Keep in mind this is only the changes of the one. The list would be much more comprehensive that covers all three mods combined. MK

File Name: CoAS CMv3
File Submitter: Officerpuppy
File Submitted: 02 May 2010
File Category: City of Abandoned Ships Mods

--------------------------------------------------------------
New
New Collection Of Ships: RS_Bonaventur (Modified by Officerpuppy)
New hero, Anamaria: Officerpuppy
New hero, Alexander: Chapay è Yurezzz
New hero, Jack Aubrey: Build mod 13 (Modified by Officerpuppy)
New hero, James Norrington: Build mod 13 (Modified by Officerpuppy)
New swords and icons: Unknown (Compiled by Craiggo, modified by Officerpuppy)
New musket boarding sound: Officerpuppy
New "girl" model: Akella (Restored by Officerpuppy)
New "Chard3" model: Akella (Restored by Officerpuppy)
New "Spa_girl" models: Akella (Restored by Officerpuppy)
New item, Cat: Officerpuppy
New AOP loading screens: Akella
New POTC loading screens: Akella
New Soldier common voices: Akella
New Pirate common voices: Akella
New Trader common voices: Akella
New Civlian common voices: Akella
New Jack Sparrow voice: POTC Movies
New faction:pirates: Akella (Restored by Officerpuppy)
New Matchlock musket for soldiers: Unknown (Compiled by Craiggo, modified by Officerpuppy)
New Matchlock musket sound effect: Officerpuppy
New French/Spanish voices: Akella
New, four character skins: A_De (Modified by Officerpuppy)
New Buhamov Pak: Chapay è Yurezzz (Modified by Officerpuppy)
New POTC characters: Officerpuppy
New Jack Sparrow and POTC character: Dogs III: Secrets of the Far Seas (Modified by Officerpuppy)
New ship models and textures: pgargon
(Arabella,Brigantine,Brig,CorvetteQuest,Galeon_l,Interceptor,Enterprise,Surprise,Galeon_h,Caravel,Pinnace,Schooner,XebekVML
,WickedWench)
New ship model, Sophie: pgargon (Ported into COAS by Craiggo)
New ship model, Cursed Dutchman: Unknown (Ported into COAS by Luke159)
New POTC British naval officers: Build mod 13 (Modified by Officerpuppy)
New Capt.Teague skin: Build mod 13 (Modified by Officerpuppy)
New, complete re-working of RTBL: Luke159
New, WIP reint function: Saint Ashley
New, Realistic spy glass: Saint Ashley
New, Arabella texture: RS_Bonaventur
New skins for Anamaria, Shi and Arabella: Officerpuppy
New Thomas Pullings skin: Build mod 13 (Modified by Officerpuppy)
New Stephen Maturin skin: Build mod 13 (Modified by Officerpuppy)
New Joshamee Gibbs skin: Dogs III: Secrets of the Far Seas (Modified by Officerpuppy)
New music for forts, churches, brothels and inquistion cave: Officerpuppy
More realistic sea foam: Ovahenort
New ship model, CorvFrig2_501: NK and Petros
New ship model, fastgalleon: pirate_kk, retextured by Thomas the Terror
New ship model, HMS Bounty: ZarethPL
New ship model, Hooker1: Seb
New ship model, RN_BattleFrigate: ZarethPL & Texture by KroKoDyl
New ship model, FR_SuperiorWarship1: Kazeite
New Calibure cannons & culverines: Luke159
Changes To Cannon_init: Luke159
Ships_init updated: Officerpuppy & Luke159
New item: Aztec gold: Officerpuppy
New style flags: Officerpuppy
Cannons_init file changes by: Luke159
Ship speeds changes by: Luke159
shipsutility file changes by: Luke159
Starting ships cannons fix by: Luke159
Cheat debuger changes by: Luke159
Cargoholds Re-valued by: Luke159
New ships added by: Luke159
Most default COAS Ships updated by: pgargon

Fixes/changes
Modified sound alias.
Modified item describe.
Modified hero describe.
Modified pistol shot sound.
Modified musket1 shot sound.
Modified RPGUtilite to allow spawning only at Bermuda, makes pirate faction playable.
Modified LAi_Patrol script to allow the use of matchlock musket for soldiers in towns.
Modified LAi_equip script, soldiers now carry cutlass's and saber's.
Modified Eng soldier textures.
Modified LSC_Q2Utilite,CharacterUtilite,QuestsUtilite to include new/different voices.
Modified shark texture.
Modified Encounters_init to compensate for new ship ratings.
Modified Inquisition characters and voices.
Modified Nationsint file to include new British naval officers on English ships.
Fixed issue with female characters not appearing as officers.
Fixed ship picture's for all ships.
Changed Cort blade model.
Changed Danille model in Enchanted City quest.
Changes to "quest_reaction" file, pirates no longer sail ships larger than galleons.
Changed Blood eyes to brown.
Changed most ship crew #'s.
Changed Jack Sparrow and Will Turner pictures.
Updated Isabella texture.
Updated Danille models.
Updated horse_2 texture.
Updated "musketeer english" texture.
Updated Man2_ab animation.
Updated Jessika animation.
Updated Beltrop animation.
Character model changes to various quests.
Rats now only eat perishable items.
Dialog changes to musket quest.
Replaced mummy model with modified skeleton. (Azzy quest)
Chain shot now looks like chain shot instead of bar shot.
Cannon balls are slightly larger.
Commented out Uranus and Neptune (Pluto already had been commented out), had not been discovered yet.
Food is no longer considered contraband in certain colonies.
Jack Sparrow now starts with the Black Pearl and 25,000 gold. Expect increase in game difficulty upon start.
Davy Jones now starts with the Flying Dutchman and 25,000 gold. Expect increase in game difficulty upon start.
Jack Aubrey now starts with HMS Sophie.
James Norrington now starts with HMS Interceptor.
Added several portraits to some new characters.
Added new ambient sounds to cargo hold and gun deck.
Modified Sophie textures.
Modified Surprise textures.
Three modded Constitution textures.
Restored a MOW texture from Vanilla to replace a duplicate texture.
New Terminator skin.
New Leif Erickson skin.
Modified SkelT skin.
Small changes to some dialogs and quests.
New eyes for Jack Sparrow.
Girl_11 now has brown eyes.
New eyes for most horses.
Added two Vanilla textures to the fleut of war to replace duplicate textures.
New Teague model.
Maturin added to Blood quest, changes to blood quest.
Accurate French and Dutch ship names.
Changed the spelling of "Curacao" to "Curaçao" for Governor texts, poorman text, Common and quest text.
Changed the spelling of "Marigo" to "Marigot" in the quest text.
Gave forts (period) historical names (where applicable).
Fixed an issue in which the dutch armor was the same as the spanish armor.
New cirass3 texture, matches the one in the icon.
Switched the clothing between captain and captain3.

Of course that list is a fully complete and accurate description,
but I think what you could use is a shorter, less accurate, but more easy-to-read version.
Basically a promotional piece of text that you could also post on the ModDB profile.
Potentially interested people aren't going to read a full feature list,
so you need something that they ARE going to read.

The news has been posted to MODDB.
What? Where??? I can't find it.
It's not linked to either the CoAS game profile or the Combined Modpack one on there.
It really can't hurt to start making use of that, mates.
Though I've been telling you that for half a year now and I don't think anybody actually believes me.
BUT YOU SHOULD! :whipa

Maybe it's because I'm not used to it, but the CoAS interface confuses the *** out of me. :wacko:

Back